Carrier iPad Prepaid Cellular Data... do you still have the option for on demand subscriptions in settings?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1080p, Jan 7, 2017.

1. 1080p, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Ok... so I am thinking about getting a cellular iPad Mini 4 for a couple of reasons. I haven't owned an iPad since the iPad 3 (Spring 2012). So, you could buy AT&T or Verizon at that point. Either version had where you could subscribe to prepaid data plans right from settings whenever you needed it.

I know the current iPads have the Apple SIM inside and support for external SIM, and Verizon doesn't support Apple SIM. Do the current iPads support getting a Verizon SIM, putting it into the iPad and activating Verizon data plans only on an "as needed basis?"

I currently use T-Mobile for my iPhone 7.... which is fine 90% of the time in the city (Phoenix), but whenever going up to see family in Northeastern Arizona, T-Mobile has no native coverage... and you roam on Cellular One... with is a mix of 3G and Edge (mostly Edge in my experience). Verizon has Arizona blanketed in LTE coverage, so I would like to have an iPad capable of using Verizon LTE on an as needed basis. If I am going up north, I will activate Verizon service for a few gigs and then use Hotspot to give my iPhone a connection as well.

2. JustinRP37 macrumors regular

JustinRP37

Yes, with the new iPads you can put in a Verizon SIM and use Verizon. The 9.7 iPad Pro has embedded as well, so you can still switch carriers without an external SIM inserted. I currently switch between AT&T and T-Mobile on my iPad Pro 9.7. It works like a charm and I hope iPhone moves this way eventually.