Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christinaelise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I am very much in need of a new iPad, and right now, Micro Center has the 10.5" Pro with 256 gb, wifi only for $599, which is $200 off. Do y'all think discounts will be better than that when new models are announced? No matter what is announced, I plan on getting this model. Thanks!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am very much in need of a new iPad, and right now, Micro Center has the 10.5" Pro with 256 gb, wifi only for $599, which is $200 off. Do y'all think discounts will be better than that when new models are announced? No matter what is announced, I plan on getting this model. Thanks!
We will tell you in 2.5 days.

PS. Any reason you NEED the 10.5? The 9.7 latest gen iPad is about $309 in the education apple store, works with an Apple pencil, if that is a requirement. The screen is a bit smaller.

To be honest, I have both 10.5 iPP and the 9.7 iPP and often cannot tell which one I'm working with, the screen difference is quite small. I have to really focus on the bezels to tell which one I'm using.

The 10.5 is nice, but not $300 nicer.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

PS. Any reason you NEED the 10.5? The 9.7 latest gen iPad is about $309 in the education apple store, works with an Apple pencil, if that is a requirement. The screen is a bit smaller.

To be honest, I have both 10.5 iPP and the 9.7 iPP and often cannot tell which one I'm working with, the screen difference is quite small. I have to really focus on the bezels to tell which one I'm using.

See 256GB. the new iPad is 128GB maximum and $429.

I cannot justify $500 for an iPad (see my other thread about choosing between a selection of old iPads) but if I had the choice I would go with the iPad Pro 10.5 for the 256GB and the ProMotion display.

christinaelise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018

As the user below said, I want it for capacity, ProMotion, and speakers. The sound quality on the Pro vs. 9.7 is MUCH better, and I do a considerable amount of music and TV/movie consumption on my iPad in addition to productivity stuff.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
As the user below said, I want it for capacity, ProMotion, and speakers. The sound quality on the Pro vs. 9.7 is MUCH better, and I do a considerable amount of music and TV/movie consumption on my iPad in addition to productivity stuff.

Discounts might be better but there is always the risk of someone pulling the trigger first if there's only one or two units left at your store. I'm going through the same thing right now...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Discounts might be better but there is always the risk of someone pulling the trigger first if there's only one or two units left at your store. I'm going through the same thing right now...

You could buy one now and not open it, or depending on return policies go ahead and use it. Then see what happens with prices over the next week or so and decide to keep it, get a price difference refund, or return and buy elsewhere. Also, Apple refurbished ones should stay available for a while and they should undergo a price drop as soon as the new ones are launched.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

Are you referring to the latest 2018 9.7 iPad? If so it's my understanding that the Apple Pencil doesn't work with this model iPad or are you talking about the older original 9.7 iPad Pro?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Happy to report the 2018 iPad does work with the pencil.

You are correct! Im an idiot. My daughter has the 2018 iPad and had been asking for the pencil. I'm not sure what I was thinking. It's her Logitech crayon that doesn't work on my iPad Pro. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: kazmac

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Are you referring to the latest 2018 9.7 iPad? If so it's my understanding that the Apple Pencil doesn't work with this model iPad or are you talking about the older original 9.7 iPad Pro?
Pretty sure I read that somewhere:
ipadpencil.jpg

Plus I have ten of them in my office for software testing.
[doublepost=1536619533][/doublepost]
You are correct! Im an idiot. My daughter has the 2018 iPad and had been asking for the pencil. I'm not sure what I was thinking. It's her Logitech crayon that doesn't work on my iPad Pro. Thanks for the correction.
The logitech crayon has only been out since mid May; and only through education ecommerce sight, so not available to normal consumers until very recently. I have ordered several, but have not received them yet. I have not tested them on iPP9.7, iPP10.5, but have demo tested one on 2018 iPad.

So how long has she had it?
[doublepost=1536619706][/doublepost]
The sound quality on my iPP10.5 is the same as the sound quality on 2018 iPad 9.7 using my PXC 550s. But if you need open air sound, I would agree the iPP10.5s pretty dern good.

Reactions: RevTEG

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Pretty sure I read that somewhere:
View attachment 780581

Plus I have ten of them in my office for software testing.
[doublepost=1536619533][/doublepost]
The logitech crayon has only been out since mid May; and only through education ecommerce sight, so not available to normal consumers until very recently. I have ordered several, but have not received them yet. I have not tested them on iPP9.7, iPP10.5, but have demo tested one on 2018 iPad.

So how long has she had it?
[doublepost=1536619706][/doublepost]
The sound quality on my iPP10.5 is the same as the sound quality on 2018 iPad 9.7 using my PXC 550s. But if you need open air sound, I would agree the iPP10.5s pretty dern good.

Not sure how long she’s had it now. We were able to get it through her school. I think they became available this past week for the public to purchase but I could be wrong about that too. We get most all of our stuff to use in our classroom.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Not sure how long she’s had it now. We were able to get it through her school. I think they became available this past week for the public to purchase but I could be wrong about that too. We get most all of our stuff to use in our classroom.
Makes sense. Hopefully I get mine this week.

Reactions: RevTEG

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Just got my new Pro 10.5 512gb cellular today in mail, brand new in shrink wrap for 750 on eBay, loving it so far, I record my music on my iPads and need the headphone jack and couldn’t justify getting a new one if there’s no headphone jack, plus I’m really pleased with the price I paid, I can record music and edit videos and not have to worry at all about storage having the 512gb.

Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.