iPad Pro iPad Pro 10.5 bad text sharpness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fraz76, Jun 15, 2017.

1. fraz76, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

fraz76 macrumors member

fraz76

My iPad Pro 10.5 have a bad text sharpness. Text starts to become smeared into the background color... Makes reading difficult and tiring. In The iPad Air 1 the text on Safari and keyboard are much clear and defined.

IPad Pro 10.5
    IMG_0615.JPG

Air 1
    IMG_0611.JPG

I'll try upgrade to ios 11 to verify any improvements about text.

2. pkagel macrumors regular

turn off true tone if you want to compare apples to apples. What you have posted here it is clearly clear that the 10.5 has sharper lines.

3. fokmik macrumors 68000

second that

4. fraz76 thread starter macrumors member

fraz76

True tone was alredy off... with true tone on the screen is too much yellowish.

The pics have sharpen line but text appair a bit blurry....It's annoying, iPad Air 1 is more restful for the eyes

5. pkagel macrumors regular

I guess it must be your eyes because I'm doing that exact upgrade and I'm finding the display to be quite a nice upgrade compared to the Air 1. This is all across the gamut also from reading in bed with nightshift to working in the office with less glare to just the ease of reading compared to the Air in general. By the pics you posted right here though the top is more sharp but the colors are different. Maybe adjust your brightness.

6. fraz76 thread starter macrumors member

fraz76

Thanks for your feedback. In my case...in the same Google search on safari, the text is clearly sharper on air 1, with all the brightness possible (and confirmed from other person too). Maybe it's a problem of my iPad Pro only , I will evaluate if request a change or return it and wait some months.

7. jardinager macrumors member

jardinager

YY
    You can always return it if you are not satisfied.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

9. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

My eyes see the Air 1 as grainier but sharper than the Pro. Not sure I'd notice if they weren't zoomed in to be larger than life.

10. Clincero macrumors newbie

Is the reduce transparency setting the same on both iPads?

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I think what the OP is referring to is the anti-aliasing on the first pic and there are grays along the border of text and background. It's meant to make lines appear smoother.

Meanwhile, the second pic has more obvious jaggies but is more solid black.

12. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Go read an eink Kindle and then use your iPad. It'll look sharp as a tack. Lol

13. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

It appears that True Tone and/or Night Shift are enabled in the top picture, and not the bottom.

14. fraz76 thread starter macrumors member

fraz76

True tone was already off... with true tone on the screen is too much yellowish.

15. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I'd say the bigger issue is the giant pink splotch in the display.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Funny ...didn't notice at first, and read your post a day later and bam! saw it.

Ha ha.

17. alba63 macrumors member

Hmmm, on my monitor the Air 1 letters are way sharper, I can clearly see the pixel grid, but not on the pro 10.5...

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I sit here and look at my 9.7 and 10.5 showing the same screen with the same text and see little if any difference. In fact if I had to pick one for sharpness, I would pick the 10.5

19. Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

I
    I see it too

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Same here. I'm viewing this on my iMac and there is a significant difference... the Air 1 is sharper with crisper more well defined edges.

21. alba63 macrumors member

But one person's pics may not be "the truth". How were those pics made? Photo? Screenshot? May there be a mistake in the way the iPad 10.5 sample was done?
    I was playing around with the 10.5 yesterday in the Apple store for almost 2 hours, I found the display to be excellent, which of course isn't a scientific claim either...

22. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Why do you want crisper edges on text? The top picture looks smoother to me - perhaps they have a different anti aliasing method for text on the new pros?

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Crisp and smooth are NOT mutually exclusive. The top picture looks blurrier to me. Anti-aliasing is to make text appear smooth not out-of-focus.

24. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I'm not even doubting the OP; the keyboard is one of those interface elements that likely had to have some sort of scaling applied to it to fill the new screen size. the keycaps in the image appear wider in the 10.5 vs the 9.7, so likely there is either a separate asset or the existing assets have been modified to accommodate the new screen size. Either way, it's easy to imagine ways the assets could have ended up not fully optimized.

I'd say if its a real concern, maybe try taking a screenshot (as I'm betting its a software issue, not hardware) that will more clearly demonstrate the issue than a photograph which can introduce its own artifacts. then send it to apple as a bug report. I also wouldn't be surprised if its already addressed in iOS11, as that seems like the first "intended" OS for the 10.5 pro.

25. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I can see what the OP is seeing comparing my 9.7 to my 10.5. Hmmm.

It's similar to what happens when you resize a picture by a little.

I don't have the camera quality or capabilities to do exact head-to-head comparison shots.