iPad Pro iPad Pro 10.5 being sold by Apple again instore

sickoagb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Went into the Apple Store today for a phone + watch repair and noticed the iPad Pro 10.5s still there. I went to check the prices and they have been discounted to starting at £529 (£50 more than the new iPad Air). I asked the staff and they said this is the new pricing to be implemented in all Apple Stores.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Not surprised. Apple will have supply of a lot of gadgets in stock after they are removed from the online store.

3rd party stores still have them in the states for $599 (£529)

The last side by side comparison I did was with the New iPad vs last years iPad Mini and 10.5 IPP. The iPad pro was faster with heavy gaming. Other than that you didn't see too much of a difference unless you were gaming. Video downloads were also faster on the IPP. Still a good deal if you need more power and a headphone jack.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
It’s standard end of life pricing to move as much inventory until the BOH team stuffs them in totes and ships them back. This has been goin on for years in store. Apple usually kills the online sales, but you can get end of life products in store for at least a week or two.

Third party resellers usually have better EOL pricing anyway.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Today one of the resellers, Best Buy, has the iPad Pro 10.5 256GB for $549 and 512GB $650. That's $150 less than last sale priced.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I wonder how much faster is the iPad Mini 4 vs Mini 5? I've played with the iPad mini 4 and it had some lag with the heavy games (graphics filled).

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
The last side by side comparison I did was with the New iPad vs last years iPad Mini and 10.5 IPP. The iPad pro was faster with heavy gaming. Other than that you didn't see too much of a difference unless you were gaming. Video downloads were also faster on the IPP. Still a good deal if you need more power and a headphone jack.
What games, and how did you test?

Are you suggesting the iPP has faster WiFi too?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
What games, and how did you test?

Are you suggesting the iPP has faster WiFi too?
Sky Force Reloaded I played on the iPad Mini 4 and IPP 10.5. Not sure if it was the wifi cause the game doesn't have to be connected. When the game has a lot of content on the screen it tends to be slower on the iPad Mini. I'm wondering if it will be better on the new iPad Mini & Air.

Iceberg33

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Anybody knows the what the discounted prices are for 10.5 Pro in US apple stores? Tried to call a couple of them but couldn’t get to someone to ask for pricing

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
Anybody knows the what the discounted prices are for 10.5 Pro in US apple stores? Tried to call a couple of them but couldn’t get to someone to ask for pricing
I called one of the local Apple Stores in Toronto in Canada and they were happy to tell me the list price. The list price in Canada now in-store is CAD$729. In the US YMMV I guess in terms of finding someone to help you over the phone. Incidentally, that CAD$729 pricing is the same pricing listed on the Canadian refurb store as the new retail price. (Refurb pricing is CAD$619.)

So, I just checked the US refurb store at Apple, and they have the new pricing listed it for US$549 for the 64 GB WiFi model, so I assume that's what the Apple Stores are selling it for new in-store. (Refurbs are cheaper.)

However, if you don't want a refurb, you should get it from Best Buy USA, cuz it's cheaper than what Apple sells it for new.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=ipad+pro+10.5&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

The 10.5" Pro starts at US$499 at Best Buy. And the 256 GB model is only US$629. On the Apple refurb store they're US$469 and US$559 respectively.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad/ipad-pro-10-5

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
I guess the physical store equivalent of the 'clearance' section online?
Interestingly, Apple actually has a clearance section online as well, but it's for other stuff, not iPads.

For iPads, I suspect the refurb store may also act as a clearance section in some cases, but it should be noted that the ones you get are not boxed in the original packaging. They have similar packaging but it's clearly labelled as refurbished, and the model number is different. For example, my silver 10.5" Pro has a model number of FQDW2CL/A whereas the new model number for the same model is MQDW2LL/A.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Interestingly, Apple actually has a clearance section online as well, but it's for other stuff, not iPads.

For iPads, I suspect the refurb store may also act as a clearance section in some cases, but it should be noted that the ones you get are not boxed in the original packaging. They have similar packaging but it's clearly labelled as refurbished, and the model number is different. For example, my silver 10.5" Pro has a model number of FQDW2CL/A whereas the new model number for the same model is MQDW2LL/A.
I'm not 100% certain of the policy, I've seen the remaining stock of 15" (2015) MacBook pros dumped in there in the summer, just after they were discontinued - so I thought it must be the channel they use if they want to sell off stock without discounting it the usual 15% (these were still selling for the full £1,899 MSRP, while they're £1,609 in the refurbished store). I had hoped they might offer remaining 2017 models for a discount in there but seeing that I supposed they don't knock anything off the price of clearance items. However, recently they've been offering the iPhone SE at knock down prices through clearance so it doesn't seem set in stone what exactly they do.