Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I had a similar problem with the Apple Watch and now the Pad Pro sometimes stops charging the battery at 96%. The only way to fix it is restarting the device. It happened with iOS 11.3 and 11.4 did not fix the issue. Any ideas?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Its just a number on your screen and it’s driven by software, like the cellular or WiFi signal strength. It’s meant to give you a rough idea of how much battery remains. It’s not meant to be precise. I find it’s better to turn that stuff off in Settings so I don’t obsess over it.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I just had this issue too. I chatted to online Apple support and they had me run diagnostics, advised that my battery was showing as fine, then told me to update from 11.3.1 to 11.4, then drain the battery completely, then recharge to 100%, drain completely again and recharge completely again. I’m still on the second drain after fully draining and recharging once and I can confirm that my iPad reached 100% and also didn’t drop the first ~10% of charge as quickly as it had for the past week either.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I just had this issue too. I chatted to online Apple support and they had me run diagnostics, advised that my battery was showing as fine, then told me to update from 11.3.1 to 11.4, then drain the battery completely, then recharge to 100%, drain completely again and recharge completely again. I’m still on the second drain after fully draining and recharging once and I can confirm that my iPad reached 100% and also didn’t drop the first ~10% of charge as quickly as it had for the past week either.

Interesting, please keep me posted if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Reactions: millydog

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

This is BS advice. I can’t believe Apple chat support still goes with this crap. They’re just wasting their and your time.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I believe what you are all saying regarding the batteries, but I really had no choice but to follow what Apple support were suggesting. It did get my iPad to charge to 100% now, while previously it was charging to 93 or 95%. So this leads me to believe that there is either a software issue and my iPad needed to drain and recharge to correct it or that Apple are hiding bad batteries with software adjustments after a full drain and recharge.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I believe what you are all saying regarding the batteries, but I really had no choice but to follow what Apple support were suggesting. It did get my iPad to charge to 100% now, while previously it was charging to 93 or 95%. So this leads me to believe that there is either a software issue and my iPad needed to drain and recharge to correct it or that Apple are hiding bad batteries with software adjustments after a full drain and recharge.

True. Is not that rare. Most people only talk theory. In reality calibration still works and is needed sometimes.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
True. Is not that rare. Most people only talk theory. In reality calibration still works and is needed sometimes.

You are taking this out of the thin air. Earlier you were convinced it’s a hardware issue. Now all of a sudden you need to calibrate a modern battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.