iPad Pro iPad Pro 10.5 charging port

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alexrat1996, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

My iPad Pro 10.5 charging port is loose and I’m using usb c to lightning cable and brick should I worry at this point ?

Should I wait till it fails then bring it in for service ?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If it is loose then it is slowly breaking, and can fail at any time (traditionally, the worst time). You might as well find a comfortable time and bring it in, as it won't get better.

3. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

Get a Samsung wireless charger it works good.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

iPads don't support wireless charging.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Are you sure it does not have lint stuck in it preventing the plug from going all the way in.

6. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

My mistake I forgot was now in iPad thread.
    Those power sockets now used in Apple phones and iPad fail if used a lot.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have never had a charging socket fail on any iPhone and I have owned them from the first.

8. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Charge it through the smartport using the Logitech charging dock.

9. chrfr macrumors 604

I've never had or personally seen a Lightning port failure. They do sometimes fill with lint and dust which can make connections loose and unreliable but that's easily resolved with a toothpick.

10. ericwn macrumors 68020

That is an anecdote at best.

11. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

Well my iPhone6s socket got where I had to keep pushing it From side to side,to get it to make charging contact. In the end I could not charge phone. They no longer make a wireless charger for this older iPnone6 and not worth paying for repair.
    So now I have a new iPhone and a wireless charger,glad you have not had a socket fail and good luck.

12. chrfr macrumors 604

That’s how the port typically behaves when it’s got lint or dust in it. Did you ever clean it?

13. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

Trust me I cleaned it again and again and am sure the socket was worn badly from being used over many years.
    The older iPhones of years ago like my iPhone4 had a really quality socket and plug, then Apple brought out the cheap lightening system.

14. ericwn macrumors 68020

In the past iPhone used the dock connector from the iPod days. 30 pins, ways more prone to dirt, lint and defect cables, and you could only insert the cable one way. Lightning has been great and in dozens of devices that I came across has not had a single issue.
    However statistically of course being the only connector these days it may look different but from what I have read in your comments you encountered one problem on one device. Hardly enough to generalise about the port’s durability.