iPad Pro 10.5 Smart cover... loose

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iF34R, Jun 16, 2017.

1. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Anyone else have a smart cover yet? I have the blue one, and it's definitely loose compared to the way the smart cover for the Air 2 fits on, well, the Air 2 lol.

There's some give on the spine.. as in a little extra material there; whereas the Air 2 smart cover is taut and "flush".

I might run to the Apple store and see if they have any (it's a freakin' hour away :()

2. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

I have midnight blue cover and it is very snug. Feels just fine.

3. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have never liked Smart Covers. They always come off for me as I am trying to use them to prop the iPad. I was disappointed to see no ridiculously priced back case available when I ordered the beast, 12.9". I dont like off market cases either. I just think Apple will release a back cover soon. They will if they care whether they are bombarded with requests for a back cover for either of the new iPP's, leaving unhappy customers (dont know whether they care or not tho)

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Hope we see the back cover, too, but having my doubts. These accessories are usually out before the device but hoping they had a problem and it will show up, but not betting on it.

5. iF34R thread starter macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I went to the Apple Store and put it on their display 10.5 and it had a lot of play in it. They took a few covers out of the box and put it on mine and they all had the same issue. I put the smart keyboard cover on, and it was nice and snug. Without the receipt or box, they took the smart cover and gave me the smart keyboard cover; I paid the difference even though they said I didn't have to.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Is this true? Is the smart cover for the 10.5 loose?

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The magnets hold it in place, but if you push the front of the cover towards the back when closed, there is slack and the edge of the glass on the front becomes exposed.

I may drop by Apple(it's only 1 mile away :) ) and see what they say.

8. iF34R thread starter macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I'm interested in what another store has to say about it vs what the Augusta GA store had to say. Over here, it was a "meh" kinda response. They weren't really interested in the slack issue, they more wanted to just replace it and get me out. It wasn't a bad experience or anything, they just didn't seem concerned too much. The gentleman did say he'd pass my concern on to a higher level. /shrugs

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Without a back cover to help secure it, yes, I found the leather cover too easy to "slide" around.

10. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

o_O

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Well, if the Smart Cover is loose that'll push me to buy one of the Amazon cheapo full cases instead of a back to use in conjunction with Apple's cover.

12. AidenL macrumors 6502

There's definitely slack, more than on my old Air 1, so much so I dropped my Pro earlier this evening, thankfully no damage though.

13. iF34R thread starter macrumors 6502a

iF34R

14. jschu22 macrumors regular

I’m ok with how mine fits when closed, its when open and folded back that bothers me. It does not hold against back very well at all which makes it feel sloppy.

15. JimmycozSTL macrumors newbie

Okay, I’m having this issue too and I’m glad it’s not just in my head. Has anybody had theirs replaced at the Apple store with one that actually fits snugly or is that just the way the 10.5 smart covers are?

16. iF34R thread starter macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Just an update... if I am sitting with it for a few minutes, it eventually levels itself out apparently.