Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Anyone else have a smart cover yet? I have the blue one, and it's definitely loose compared to the way the smart cover for the Air 2 fits on, well, the Air 2 lol.

There's some give on the spine.. as in a little extra material there; whereas the Air 2 smart cover is taut and "flush".

I might run to the Apple store and see if they have any (it's a freakin' hour away :()

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I have never liked Smart Covers. They always come off for me as I am trying to use them to prop the iPad. I was disappointed to see no ridiculously priced back case available when I ordered the beast, 12.9". I dont like off market cases either. I just think Apple will release a back cover soon. They will if they care whether they are bombarded with requests for a back cover for either of the new iPP's, leaving unhappy customers (dont know whether they care or not tho)

Reactions: baypharm

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have never liked Smart Covers. They always come off for me as I am trying to use them to prop the iPad. I was disappointed to see no ridiculously priced back case available when I ordered the beast, 12.9". I dont like off market cases either. I just think Apple will release a back cover soon. They will if they care whether they are bombarded with requests for a back cover for either of the new iPP's, leaving unhappy customers (dont know whether they care or not tho)

Hope we see the back cover, too, but having my doubts. These accessories are usually out before the device but hoping they had a problem and it will show up, but not betting on it.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I went to the Apple Store and put it on their display 10.5 and it had a lot of play in it. They took a few covers out of the box and put it on mine and they all had the same issue. I put the smart keyboard cover on, and it was nice and snug. Without the receipt or box, they took the smart cover and gave me the smart keyboard cover; I paid the difference even though they said I didn't have to.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The magnets hold it in place, but if you push the front of the cover towards the back when closed, there is slack and the edge of the glass on the front becomes exposed.

I may drop by Apple(it's only 1 mile away :) ) and see what they say.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
The magnets hold it in place, but if you push the front of the cover towards the back when closed, there is slack and the edge of the glass on the front becomes exposed.

I may drop by Apple(it's only 1 mile away :) ) and see what they say.
I'm interested in what another store has to say about it vs what the Augusta GA store had to say. Over here, it was a "meh" kinda response. They weren't really interested in the slack issue, they more wanted to just replace it and get me out. It wasn't a bad experience or anything, they just didn't seem concerned too much. The gentleman did say he'd pass my concern on to a higher level. /shrugs

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Without a back cover to help secure it, yes, I found the leather cover too easy to "slide" around.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I went to the Apple Store and put it on their display 10.5 and it had a lot of play in it. They took a few covers out of the box and put it on mine and they all had the same issue. I put the smart keyboard cover on, and it was nice and snug. Without the receipt or box, they took the smart cover and gave me the smart keyboard cover; I paid the difference even though they said I didn't have to.

o_O

Reactions: CrazyForCashews

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Well, if the Smart Cover is loose that'll push me to buy one of the Amazon cheapo full cases instead of a back to use in conjunction with Apple's cover.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
There's definitely slack, more than on my old Air 1, so much so I dropped my Pro earlier this evening, thankfully no damage though.

Reactions: asleep

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I’m ok with how mine fits when closed, its when open and folded back that bothers me. It does not hold against back very well at all which makes it feel sloppy.

JimmycozSTL

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2017
Okay, I’m having this issue too and I’m glad it’s not just in my head. Has anybody had theirs replaced at the Apple store with one that actually fits snugly or is that just the way the 10.5 smart covers are?

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Just an update... if I am sitting with it for a few minutes, it eventually levels itself out apparently.

Nostalgist

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Suffolk, England
I have just bought a Pro 10.5 - direct from Apple. The smart cover, which I only took delivery of today, is displaying the 'looseness' when folded back that is described in this thread ..... laid flat on a desk the iPad sits appreciably above the cover, with clear air between the two - its almost as if the cover is not made for the iPad :( Has anyone had one replaced by Apple with one that fits better ?

deef

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Well mine was great for the first 10 months or so but now it’s started drooping. It’s as if the narrow strip between the iPad and cover lost all of its rigidity.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I got the Blue Cobalt because I kept reading too many negative reviews of the Midnight Blue. So far it's working as expected. The lay flat is snug and the stand stays upright.

I have another on order which is one the ones that came out on release date. I will compare them to see if I find any flaws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.