iPad Pro 10.5 Smart Keyboard flaw

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by darkgremio, Jun 21, 2017.

1. darkgremio macrumors 6502

Well, I have noticed a significant flaw in my iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover. It seems if I have my iPad sitting on a flat surface the keyboard lifts up. This is quite annoying to the point where its impossible to type comfortably. Does anyone else have this issue, I don't think this is wide spread. I thought Apple had good quality assurance procedures, especially since the iPad being demoed at the store do not have this issue it seems.

Attached Files:

2. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

My ASK for the 9.7" does this when it hasn't been used for a while. It soon becomes flat though after a small period of use.

3. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

Mine (10.5 iPad Pro Smart Keyboard) sits perfectly flat. Maybe take it in for a replacement.

4. NightWingz macrumors member

Yup. My 9.7" ASK has had this issue since I bought it a year back.

If you're going to the Apple Store for replacement, let us know if they would consider this as a manufacturing defect for free replacement.

5. callea, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

callea macrumors regular

callea

Same problem with my 12.9" italian keyboard bought yesterday.

Attached Files:

6. profets macrumors 68040

I've seen the same thing with brand new 9.7 and 12.9 ASK. After a few days of use they get a bit worked in and sit flat.

7. callea macrumors regular

callea

I bought the 10.5" also and it was perfect. I bought the 12.9 last year and it was perfect too.
    I think some of them have simply a manufacturing fault and have to be replaced.
    It's a serious flaw, you can't use it.

8. LiveWireless macrumors member

My 10.5" had that issue, I applied a little pressure on the joint causing the issue. Fixed it up perfectly. I'm waiting to see if the fix holds or reappears I'm sure once the joint get worked in there won't be an issue.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

My 10.5 ASK, which I received from the apple online store on Tuesday, sits perfectly flat.

10. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

Mine does the same on my 10.5. I am going to return it and buy another one to get another 14 days to make up my mind.... :confused:

11. bwb macrumors member

My 10.5" does this as well, but seems to flatten out after 15 minutes or so (even if I'm not actively using it in that time).

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

13. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I had the same issue with my 9.7. I returned it to the Apple store thinking it was a defect. They agreed and swapped it out. However, the brand new one did the same as did the one they opened next. Finally the store manager came over and laid it on the table, saw it not sitting flat and then proceeded to hold his finger on the inside cover(behind) the iPad and then bent/pressed down on the edge of the keyboard and voila, it now sits flat. I felt bad that they had to open up 2 brand new cases to find out. Though, I do agree, seems like a flaw and should not do that right out of the box.

14. Benlehot macrumors member

I had exactly the same problem. I just went to the Apple Store to exchange it. My new one is perfect.

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Mine did that initially, but after a few hours of use it lays flat. The "joints" are stiff and need to be broken in I guess.

16. jsmitty macrumors regular

17. ericwn macrumors 65816

I've seen this wonkiness with several iPad Pros in retail stores ever since the first iPad Pro was released.

18. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Mine did that at first. I just bent it down a bit and it resolved it.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Mine sat up a tiny bit when it was brand new. Currently as i type this it is flat.

In both situations it felt the same to type on.

result: it's not really an issue?

It's flexible fabric. With folds. That you fold it up with.

it is not and never will be a 100% precision piece of engineering.

20. mal5z macrumors newbie

Mine did that. I could bend it flat, but it'd tilt up again the next time I opened the keyboard. I took it back this weekend for a new one. The new one lies flat every time.