iPad Pro 10.5 Smart Keyboard flaw

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Well, I have noticed a significant flaw in my iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover. It seems if I have my iPad sitting on a flat surface the keyboard lifts up. This is quite annoying to the point where its impossible to type comfortably. Does anyone else have this issue, I don't think this is wide spread. I thought Apple had good quality assurance procedures, especially since the iPad being demoed at the store do not have this issue it seems.

Attachments

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Well, I have noticed a significant flaw in my iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover. It seems if I have my iPad sitting on a flat surface the keyboard lifts up. This is quite annoying to the point where its impossible to type comfortably. Does anyone else have this issue, I don't think this is wide spread. I thought Apple had good quality assurance procedures, especially since the iPad being demoed at the store do not have this issue it seems.
My ASK for the 9.7" does this when it hasn't been used for a while. It soon becomes flat though after a small period of use.

Reactions: throAU

iEric007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Orange County, California
Mine (10.5 iPad Pro Smart Keyboard) sits perfectly flat. Maybe take it in for a replacement.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Yup. My 9.7" ASK has had this issue since I bought it a year back.

If you're going to the Apple Store for replacement, let us know if they would consider this as a manufacturing defect for free replacement.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I've seen the same thing with brand new 9.7 and 12.9 ASK. After a few days of use they get a bit worked in and sit flat.

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy
I've seen the same thing with brand new 9.7 and 12.9 ASK. After a few days of use they get a bit worked in and sit flat.
I bought the 10.5" also and it was perfect. I bought the 12.9 last year and it was perfect too.
I think some of them have simply a manufacturing fault and have to be replaced.
It's a serious flaw, you can't use it.

LiveWireless

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
My 10.5" had that issue, I applied a little pressure on the joint causing the issue. Fixed it up perfectly. I'm waiting to see if the fix holds or reappears I'm sure once the joint get worked in there won't be an issue.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
My 10.5" does this as well, but seems to flatten out after 15 minutes or so (even if I'm not actively using it in that time).

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I had the same issue with my 9.7. I returned it to the Apple store thinking it was a defect. They agreed and swapped it out. However, the brand new one did the same as did the one they opened next. Finally the store manager came over and laid it on the table, saw it not sitting flat and then proceeded to hold his finger on the inside cover(behind) the iPad and then bent/pressed down on the edge of the keyboard and voila, it now sits flat. I felt bad that they had to open up 2 brand new cases to find out. Though, I do agree, seems like a flaw and should not do that right out of the box.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Mine did that initially, but after a few hours of use it lays flat. The "joints" are stiff and need to be broken in I guess.

ericwn

macrumors 68030
Apr 24, 2016
I've seen this wonkiness with several iPad Pros in retail stores ever since the first iPad Pro was released.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Mine did that at first. I just bent it down a bit and it resolved it.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Mine sat up a tiny bit when it was brand new. Currently as i type this it is flat.

In both situations it felt the same to type on.

result: it's not really an issue?

It's flexible fabric. With folds. That you fold it up with.

it is not and never will be a 100% precision piece of engineering.

mal5z

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Mine did that. I could bend it flat, but it'd tilt up again the next time I opened the keyboard. I took it back this weekend for a new one. The new one lies flat every time.