iPad Pro 10.5 stuttering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Leo90, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Hello dear friends,

I updated my iPad Pro 10.5 to iOS 11 yesterday evening and now I am noticing severe frame drops and stuttering in games such as GTA Vice City and Transistor. Besides, I also noticed some stuttering when I change UI position between landscape and portrait at the home screen. Are you also noticing any of that? It is very weird such a powerful hardware is struggling with iOS 11

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

A solution may be a clean install. Especially when a new iOS iteration is released. I never like the "upgrade" with such a big software change. When I wipe my iPad or iPhone with a new clean install, it performs much, much better, and has the responsiveness you expect.

Search my posts for instructions on how to do it. And many others recommend a clean install as well.

3. bensisko macrumors 65816

I’m having the same stuttering issues with my 12.9” Pro (1st gen) as well as my other iPads. Hopefully Apple will fix it.

4. Sunshoopa macrumors 6502

Sunshoopa

I played some transistor and it runs without a hitch. No stuttering with the home screen rotation either. Yeah, I’d do a restore.

I’d do this. You can backup to iCloud and restore with that as that restores everything and keeps your device clean.

5. Act3, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Act3 macrumors 68000

I'd try a "reset all settings" first before a reinstall. It seemed to help my 6s.

6. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

You are not alone, my iPhone 7 and even my new iPad Pro are suffering severe stutters from iOS 11 especially when opening an app, that animation is awful it drops to like 8fps. Apple needs to fix this asap

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Clean. Install. Don't update from any backups. Do a clean install. Reinstall fresh apps. Apple is not going to do anything to fix the detritus clogging your system.

8. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Ahh my fav topic!. Guess we have to live up with the reduced performance on our 10.5 Pros. Otherwise how they (Apple) can they beat the drums saying A11 is faster?

9. Leo90, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for so many replies guys. I did a clean install of iOS 11 and still the performance of my brand new iPad Pro (I got 3 days ago) is severely hampered. What is going on with quality control at Apple? I see framedrops and stuttering all over the system :(
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---

I always...always perform clean installs.

It is good to know it is not only me being picky but that is actually a real issue with iOS 11. Now I am really looking forward to iOS 11.1.

10. Zarniwoop, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Zarniwoop macrumors 65816

Quite often iOS devices are slow ~30 min after an update from old to new OS version. It is because of indexing, backups and other data sent to iCloud and updating apps. The more you have e-mail or other data, the longer the indexing takes. My iPhone SE suffered this around 30 minutes, and after that it's been working very nicely. Without a hiccup.

11. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

You probably have a defective iPad - should return it. I can say quite confidently that my iPad Pro 10.5" seems a lot faster after iOS 11. They got rid of a lot of the unnecessary animations and everything feels a lot swifter now.

12. Legendts macrumors regular

Legendts

Cannot fault my 10.5 received three days ago and it’s been getting a real workout. Battery life is also excellent.

Absolutely fabulous!

13. GDF macrumors 6502

My 10.5 ipad and 7 plus iPhone both are stuttering when opening apps too. Hope Apple fixes this as is unacceptable.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that's how electronics fail, if the iPad was defective, it would not work or throw errors. Compound that by the other members stating they're experiencing similar issues.

Personally I've not incurred any issues like that.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There is so much going on behind the scenes when a new OS is installed. Dare I suggest that instead of declaring that it’s something ridiculous like planned obsolescence or a scheme to promote iOS 11, that we all give it a day to cache everything and reindex? Finally .1 updates ALWAYS make things smoother and quicker. Always.

Good grief folks.

16. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

There's definitely some issue with iOS 11 - which is not surprising since it is a new version of iOS, but given that the OP's problems seem to stem from a new iPad (which should have less "optimizations" running in the background for a fully loaded iPad that was upgraded), a hardware failure seems like a more plausible issue.

But yes personally everything seems much faster. I believe @joeblow7777 mentioned in another thread his iPad mini 4 being initially slower but recovering thereafter.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Yup. Always give a major update a day or two before you write it off. I can’t promise it will improve, but mine certainly has.

18. Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sorry, but that it is not how hardware and electronics work at all. If it was a hardware failure, iOS would let me know about it or I would notice severe problems that would hamper usage of graphics intensive apps or data in cache for instance or even input issues. That stuttering seems like coding issues with iOS 11 which I hope will be fixed in the next 11.1 version. Anyway, I am not the only one with those problems. Let’s wait for Apple to fix it.

19. 960design macrumors 68030

Have you tried the same app on another 10.5?

I have had iOS11 for development for several months and have seen not a single hitch. Actually, quite the opposite. iOS10 -> iOS11 beta improved fps in development applications and that started with the very first iteration of iOS11.

20. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

I’m not sure how you can tell, given that you’ve only had the iPad for less than a week? By your own admission, you see “frameworks and stuttering all over the system”, which sounds like a severe problem and a systematic issue rather than a localized one. At this point it’s not clear at all how severe your issues really are.
    One point to note is that if you are updating a lot of apps (common during this period when transitioning to a new major version of iOS apps), iOS will perform extremely badly. This is normal because there is a lot of overhead internally when multiple apps are updating, so you should leave it alone until all updates complete.