Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tafmasterpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hello guys, after 6 years of not having an ipad(my last was iPad 3, a.k.a 'The new iPad") i found an excuse to buy one used from Ebay, 10.5-inch 64GB Space Grey, and i remember my first gen iPad 9.7 was fingerprint magnet, 3rd gen was fingerprint magnet too, but i remember it(at least for me) stopped happening after iPhone 5s(i have iPhone 4 laying around in a drawer and it's fingerprint magnet too) i don't have 5s anymore so i'm not sure when it stopped but it stopped, for past few years i used iPhone 6s Plus, 7 Plus and recently got XS Max, and they are were/are fine, sure they get a little fingers, but not like the iPad 10.5 inch, they are "80%" (my calculation!) less finger magnet than iPad i bought and now i have a question is my unit a "faulty" one or is it normal?
I'm not sure what previous buyer was doing using it, all i know it has only 40 battery cycles when i purchased it and it got screen protector on it(screen is perfect fine i highly doubt it been replaced or sth), now i don't have one, i hate screen protectors.
Are iPad's screen's more fingerprint magnet and prone to grease? As i said, iPhone screen's are fine for me, i know it's a 1st world problem but wanna know ur opinion.
Another question(or rather buying advice) is it still present in new iPad 11-inch and 12.9 3rd gen(without touchID button)?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello guys, after 6 years of not having an ipad(my last was iPad 3, a.k.a 'The new iPad") i found an excuse to buy one used from Ebay, 10.5-inch 64GB Space Grey, and i remember my first gen iPad 9.7 was fingerprint magnet, 3rd gen was fingerprint magnet too, but i remember it(at least for me) stopped happening after iPhone 5s(i have iPhone 4 laying around in a drawer and it's fingerprint magnet too) i don't have 5s anymore so i'm not sure when it stopped but it stopped, for past few years i used iPhone 6s Plus, 7 Plus and recently got XS Max, and they are were/are fine, sure they get a little fingers, but not like the iPad 10.5 inch, they are "80%" (my calculation!) less finger magnet than iPad i bought and now i have a question is my unit a "faulty" one or is it normal?
I'm not sure what previous buyer was doing using it, all i know it has only 40 battery cycles when i purchased it and it got screen protector on it(screen is perfect fine i highly doubt it been replaced or sth), now i don't have one, i hate screen protectors.
Are iPad's screen's more fingerprint magnet and prone to grease? As i said, iPhone screen's are fine for me, i know it's a 1st world problem but wanna know ur opinion.
Another question(or rather buying advice) is it still present in new iPad 11-inch and 12.9 3rd gen(without touchID button)?
Supposedly this mess that shows on the iPad Pro screens has to do with the changes in the coating related to the Apple Pencil, and it affects all the iPad Pros. I find I have to clean it with a microfiber cloth pretty often.

Reactions: tafmasterpl

tafmasterpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Supposedly this mess that shows on the iPad Pro screens has to do with the changes in the coating related to the Apple Pencil, and it affects all the iPad Pros. I find I have to clean it with a microfiber cloth pretty often.
So...it looks like i need to purchase iPad Mini 4 with ancient A8 processor from 2014...ok it seems i'll get used to fingerprints more easily than to A8 processor. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.