iPad Pro iPad Pro 10.5 YouTube HDR!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ExclusiveMac, Aug 3, 2018.

1. ExclusiveMac, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

ExclusiveMac macrumors newbie

ExclusiveMac

Hello,

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and an iPhone X, i notice a couple of days ago that my iPad Pro 10.5 doesn't show the HDR badge on YouTube when you watch HDR contend, but on iPhone X it show without issues.

Can somebody with experience explain in details why i cannot see the HDR badge on HDR YouTube contend?

You can check the picture down where i mark with red color.

Screenshot_20180803-142437_Gallery.jpg

2. sparksd macrumors 68000

3. ExclusiveMac, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

ExclusiveMac thread starter macrumors newbie

ExclusiveMac

I was thinking also, but Apple said that the iPad Pro 10.5 is capable of HDR via Netflix, iTunes and others. Hm, strange.

4. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

This is down to app developers as well.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

There’s No Such thing as HDR, it’s all made up BS.
    The actual industry wide Spec is HDR10.
    Basically brighter brights and darker darks, and punchier colors.

Here’s the real Spec. Which is a little out of date, because new standards allow for Dynamic HDR10 which allows Light levels in a scene to shift in real time and maintain HDR10 standards. Like going from inside a cave and walking into daylight can go from blinding, and gradually normalize.

https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/section-files/HDR.pdf

6. ExclusiveMac, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018

ExclusiveMac

So you trying to say that iPad 10.5 doesn’t have HDR?

7. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

I used to be able to get 1440p on the YouTube app on my 9.7 iPad Pro, but around 5 months ago it stopped showing up and 1080p is the highest option. I believe this is a YouTube issue no longer supporting higher resolutions on iOS devices. I can still get HDR video on Netflix at a higher resolution than 1080p.

8. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Because Google is reluctant to give features to the iOS YouTube app, especially the iPad.

They removed the 1440p option, haven’t supported HDR on the iPad, and there’s still no PiP support (luckily there’s a native workaround using Safari in iOS 12).

I don’t know why they bother since they hardly compete in the tablet market nowadays and aren’t utilising the missing features as YouTube Premium exclusives.

Everything that YouTube does nowadays is baffling, they are in serious need of a competitor.

9. Macintoshrumors macrumors regular

Macintoshrumors

Where exactly did he say the iPad did not have hdr? He’s obviously taking about hdr being a marketing scheme. Anyway. It’s not an Apple issue that YouTube doesn’t have hdr enabled on the iPad but rather YouTube’s issue. The iPad is capable of hdr if a developer allows it.

10. Mark Holmes macrumors member

Mark Holmes

This.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

Google is wildly inconsistent in their iOS apps. Some support split screen multitasking while others don't and for no good reason. Apple should lay down the law on multitasking requirements or make it a feature that works with any app like it does on Android.

12. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Google is too big for every app to have similar feature set. It’s practically impossible. Different apps get developed by different teams across multiple countries. Easier said than done.

13. ExclusiveMac thread starter macrumors newbie

ExclusiveMac

Read one more time and maybe you will see, and is obviously that you didn't understand my point.

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Google keep changing things in the youtube app. Sometimes there’s an option to stream at 1440p and then they update the app and it goes away. It’s jusy google being inconsistent.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2018 ---
    I think they want you to subscribe to YouTube red to get pip, well at least on android that’s how you get it. YouTube red finally came to the uk and I subscribed and I still can’t do pip on my iPhone or iPads.

I think they are probably just keeping features back for android.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Correct HDR is a marketing term. Just because it says so doesn’t mean it living up to expectations. Admittedly HDR is fantastic to see when experienced on a big screen TV OLED with popcorn.
    As far as Youtube not supporting HDR on iPad or other devices Inremember reading that Netflix, and YouTube and other stewaming video providers run a software check. To see if your hardware is capable of displaying HDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision content and decode 10-Bit files or streams. Heck even Intel Wasn’t capable of fully processing HDR Until Gen 8 here’s the document about mid page.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/8th-gen-core-family-desktop-brief.html

I even warned MacBook Pro buyers to wait until Kabylake Lake because CPUs before that do not process HDR 10-bit files well.

As you can see 6th Gen Intel can’t handle 10-bit HEVC 4K UHD files which have the rich HDR10 meta data.
    There’s a link to that video file somewhere. But iPad pros can’t run 10-bit H.265 HEVC 4K UHD Video.
    They may stream some chopped down, degraded version. But it far from what your 4K TV or 7th or 8th Gen Computer can output.

16. ExclusiveMac, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

ExclusiveMac

My iPad Pro 10.5 can run 4K HDR h265 60p without issues copied and run it on Infuse

Link here: http://4kmedia.org/samsung-travel-with-my-pet-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Attached Files:

17. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I don’t know if that’s a 10-bit file with HDR10 content, with that being said even if it is. Running a short file video for a few seconds the 10.5” IPad Pro Can for a few short moments. It’s not capable or running a full feature length movie worth enjoying it will thermal throttle and conk out. I know the 9.7” IPad Pro can’t at all period. Files with such length and rich 4K 10-bit H.265 content uncompressed quality are over 50+GB for 1 Movie.

18. ExclusiveMac, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

ExclusiveMac

I tested a full 4K HDR 10bit movie, it plays without issues. Please try to test before tell to others that doesn't work. I tell you it works 100%.

19. Sunshoopa macrumors 6502

Sunshoopa

It should be able to handle it easily. The iPad can do HDR. Don’t listen to those that say it doesn’t have “true” HDR. It doesn’t have as good as HDR as a panel that has 1000 nits brightness, but it does go bright enough to do alright HDR.

All it is, is that Google just chose not to have HDR on the iPad for some reason. They were always a little slow on that front. They’ll probably just pop it in one day in an update.

20. ExclusiveMac, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

ExclusiveMac

Yes, you are right. Also the iPad 10.5 has 600 nits and 120hz screen. About that HDR VIDEO, i tried to play on my maxed out Macbook Pro 15" 2016, and it is choppy and laggy, tried with VLC 3, Quick Time cannot open, FCPX can handle better but not smooth. But on iPad Pro 10.5 with Infuse is smooth and perfect audio and video.

21. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

It can, but not for the length of a feature film, It’s likely to drain the battery very quickly and overheat. How long did you test for ?

22. ExclusiveMac, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018

ExclusiveMac

I watched Blade Runner 2049 4K HDR, size 75GB, length 2h40. No issues at all. Play it with Infuse. So is possible. Very interesting, some people talk just to talk, try to test before you say is not working etc. Imagine if there is some users that need to know, they will say: on forum someone said that is not working so i will not try, my god.

23. 0014 macrumors 6502a

I've watched both Bladerunner 2049 and The Martian on a flight on my IPP 10.5. Both in 4K HDR and still had 32% battery (from 100%).

So I'm afraid you're incorrect.

24. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Youtube supports 2160p or 4K! I watch several car reviews in 4K on my desktop and 4K TV. Do not know about iPads since they have very low resolution screens still even with the Pro line. ppl is still at 264 while the Mini has 326 ppi.

25. 0014 macrumors 6502a