iPad Pro 11 Dropped - AppleCare+ Replace/Repair in Store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newellj, Dec 16, 2018.

1. newellj macrumors 604

iPad Pro 11 dropped - damaged screen and housing. AppleCare+ applies. Will Apple replace it in the store on the spot, or ship it somewhere for a repair or replacement and ship the repaired or replacement iPad back? The question is really timing - should I expect a week or two delay, or expect to walk out of the store with a replacement?

2. Pepe4life macrumors member

Pepe4life

They don't repair iPads, you will get a replacement on the spot (unless they don't have one in stock)

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do not forget to do an encrypted backup before you go!

4. newellj thread starter macrumors 604

$49, right? Seems surprisingly low, even with the $129 purchase price for AC+.

5. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

I had similar situation, waited 4 days for Apple to receive a replacement. Seemed ridiculous when they had them in stock downstairs but they still had to get a different one in.

6. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Before I went in, I turned off ApplePay on the iPad.. Backed up to my MBP. They will let you go through the process of erasing your broken iPad after you sync to the replacement. When I returned home I removed the broken iPad from my iCloud. Checked the MacBooks and iOS devices linked to it.

They will give you, what I call the brown box special.

7. newellj thread starter macrumors 604

Was this recently? Surprising. I would think that with a model this new they would have only new stock to replace damaged ones with.

Same thought - I'm surprised there are any warranty units for these in the system at this point. Aren't those usually refurbished units, which are usually not available this soon after a product launch?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple has replacement units specifically intended for this purpose. They ship to the stores without regular packaging.

9. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I had my IPP replaced and I was worried because it was working smoothly except for the dead pixels. The battery was great too. So with the replacement I inspected it before leaving the store for any dents or wear. Then I played around with it for awhile in store because I didn't want to feel like I had downgraded especially after spending $$. When I got home I tried to check and see how many cycles were left on the iPad. If there were too many, I would have taken it back.

10. newellj thread starter macrumors 604

So - how many cycles did it show? I thought they used either new or refurb units, and refurbs usually get new (cycles = 1) batteries.

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

What was the height of the drop 2 feet ?

12. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

My battery is at 100% health - 8053 mAH. I can't remember what the cycle number was but now I'm at 16 cycles charges.

13. Hansl macrumors member

So how are you satisfied with the replacement set? I believe it's as good as new, if not new at this point.
    The batches of the new iPad certainly isn't perfect. Mine was scratches right out of the box at the Pencil Dock grey patch as well as some minor scratch on the Antenna lines.

14. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I purchased a new iPad that I babied. It was fast and the battery lasted a long time between charges. Only thing was that I was surprised to see dead pixels. I would have been very upset if I got something that was like that especially shelling out $$. Visually the replacement looks brand new. The only problem I've noticed is with Adobe Illustrator getting hung up. It could be the app? Overall I'm happy

15. Hansl macrumors member

Are you sure its a dead pixel? I'm asking because I have experience a few sets with merely dust underneath the display. They are mostly in grey and literally just a dot. I believe many others have this issue on their sets too. It however does not affect the display. As i mentioned previously, seems like there are many imperfections seen in the new iPad.