Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
For those that use a higher wattage usbc pd charger for the ipp 2018, does yours get very warm(you can touch it but your finger will get sweaty and feel uncomfortable) on the back? Mine does on the middle lower part(below the apple logo and above the “iPad” word) of the ipad which seems to me where the logic board is and not the battery and was a bit concerned. It was the same with a 60w and 45w pd charger (the 45w is a powerbank). It only gets hot if its charging less than around 70% then its not that hot anymore, only the back. For now I have only reverted using the 18w charger that came with the iPad.

Last edited:

Vilfredo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
France
Same here. I use the same charger for my MacBook Pro and my IPad 11''. It gets hot during charging, not disturbing but a little bit hot. My iPad is 100% time in my smart folio.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Yes, that is normal with fast charging and nothing to worry about. As the percentage gets higher, the power draw will slow down and it will feel cooler.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
With Apple products, especially iPads and the past & present issues...its safe to say that using the charger that comes in the box is your best bet. If ya device ends up bending/morphing due to using a extreme charger which heats up ya devices metal frame..that's your choice but I wouldnt risk it with this generations iPad pro.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
With Apple products, especially iPads and the past & present issues...its safe to say that using the charger that comes in the box is your best bet. If ya device ends up bending/morphing due to using a extreme charger which heats up ya devices metal frame

Were there cases that led to physical damage previously by fast charging? I was expecting the device to control the amout of current/charge rate to its requirements/safe rate.

also think the charger that came with the device is the best bet

I think it’s because I don’t usually charge my devices overnight so sometimes I forgot to charge it and hence the powerbank.

I do agree the charging rate on the supplied charger would be best but one of the reasons I got the ipp 11 was because it supports usb c and pd so I can use current (and possibly future) devices with just 1 charger. I mean it technically works but excess heat got me a bit worried. I guess I’ll just use it when I really need power and have to use a powerbank like when travelling as most of them were designed for laptops so higher wattage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.