Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I use this feature all the time, but I can't split the keyboard on my 11" when typing in portrait or landscape. Anyone else have this issue?

I know the 12" iPad removed the split keyboard, but the 10.5" had it, so I assumed the 11" would too. Argh, submitting a "feature request" to Apple I guess....

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't think the keyboard can be split. It can't on the 12.9" iPad Pros either. Apparently, Apple feels the device is too large to simultaneously hold and type on. They probably think the same about the new 11" iPad Pro.

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I don't think the keyboard can be split. It can't on the 12.9" iPad Pros either. Apparently, Apple feels the device is too large to simultaneously hold and type on. They probably think the same about the new 11" iPad Pro.

Which if that is their logic, doesn't make any sense. The 10.5" iPad Pro is pretty much the same physical size, and had the split keyboard feature.

Reactions: fyrefly and Ghost31

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Ok, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just saying how :D

I think it must be an iOS 12 change, for whatever stupid reason makes sense to Apple, or it's a bug.

But, you can still use the split keyboard with the iPad, with one small (ish) caveat, you need to go into Settings > Display & Brightness > View and change the display setting from Standard, to Zoomed.

If you do that, the split keyboard option re-appears even on the 12.9" iPad Pro. Whether the slightly zoomed in screen is an acceptable trade off for you or not is an entirely different matter.

I'd also suggest sending feedback to Apple on the subject. The more of us who do, the more chance there is of them noticing/changing it. You can submit your feedback here.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
But, you can still use the split keyboard with the iPad, with one small (ish) caveat, you need to go into Settings > Display & Brightness > View and change the display setting from Standard, to Zoomed.

If you do that, the split keyboard option re-appears even on the 12.9" iPad Pro. Whether the slightly zoomed in screen is an acceptable trade off for you or not is an entirely different matter.

Right, but the display zoom setting doesn’t appear on the 11” iPad either. Another annoyance!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Right, but the display zoom setting doesn’t appear on the 11” iPad either. Another annoyance!

Right enough, I forgot about that. It seems like a seriously odd thing for Apple to have removed. Especially now that even the smaller of the two has a larger screen.
One can’t help but wonder if this will make a reappearance in an update. Maybe if enough of us complain about it.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Right enough, I forgot about that. It seems like a seriously odd thing for Apple to have removed. Especially now that even the smaller of the two has a larger screen.
One can’t help but wonder if this will make a reappearance in an update. Maybe if enough of us complain about it.

That's what I’m hoping for as well. I'm sure it’s a software switch they can turn on and off.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Well, I’ve done it. I returned my 11” iPad Pro and I’ll stick with my 10.5” for now. I have to say, the edge to edge screen and new form factor are nice, but the screen isn’t any better, really and I found Face ID to be a bit of a pain (love it on my iPhone tho). That combined with them removing the #1 way I use my iPad (portrait with split keyboard) made the decision sad, but inevitable.

Now if Apple brings back the split keyboard in a software update...... ;)

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I bought a 11 today and am about to pack it up and return it strictly because of the missing split keyboard. It appears I’m not the only one after a quick search. Love the hardware, and my son is waiting for my 10.5 lol, but I can’t do without the split keyboard. It’s really too bad.

Reactions: fyrefly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.