Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

africano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
My wife has a very very old macbook pro. She hardly uses it anymore as it is so old it takes ages to load etc. She doesn't really use the laptop at home any more as with time she doesn't take work home, when she does need to do something she uses my macbook pro from 2017.

I have said to her to buy a new computer but she says that she would use more an iPad, so tihnking if it would be worth buying the iPad Pro 11" with the pencil (she loves drawing) and the magic keyboard?

We are teachers, so things she would sometimes do is editing google docs, slides, answering emails.....that's about it work wise.

Good idea or not? Is it worth it with the keyboard? Can it somewhat replace a laptop if you are not going to do any heavy lifting?

Thanks

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Yes, I would think so. But do consider the new iPad Air especially the 64GB version. It is much cheaper and the savings can go some way to offset the cost of the MKB and Pencil. This assumes you folks will be able to leverage cloud storage solutions though.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
We are teachers, so things she would sometimes do is editing google docs, slides, answering emails.....that's about it work wise.

Good idea or not? Is it worth it with the keyboard? Can it somewhat replace a laptop if you are not going to do any heavy lifting?
For a teacher then I dont know if it would replace a laptop, but as a product for someone who loves to draw then I think she’d love it. If cost is a concern then I’d go for an Air and maybe even skip the Magic Keyboard for now (not everyone is into the idea of turning their iPad into a laptop).

Last edited:

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
My wife has a very very old macbook pro. She hardly uses it anymore as it is so old it takes ages to load etc. She doesn't really use the laptop at home any more as with time she doesn't take work home, when she does need to do something she uses my macbook pro from 2017.

I have said to her to buy a new computer but she says that she would use more an iPad, so tihnking if it would be worth buying the iPad Pro 11" with the pencil (she loves drawing) and the magic keyboard?

Thanks

For your wife’s work use scenario, yes I‘d recommend the iPad with Pencil and Magic Keyboard.
But I’m recommending the new iPad Air 4 instead of the Pro for more color option, faster single task processing power and cheaper price. Since your wife won’t do heavy lifting on the iPad.

Magic keyboard is essential for editing Docs, slides and emails.
She’ll definitely love the Pencil, oh, and get her the Procreate app! Fantastic app for drawing.

Mind you that printing is only available via AirPrint if offline printing is still on your work envyronment.

I’m using my iPad Pro, Pencil and Magic keyboard since July now as my main computer, also doing some heavy lifting in photo and video editing. It’s doable, but might have to empty your glass a bit on the perspective side. Some situation are handled differently on the iPad OS, for better or worse.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Thanks
You could also buy a cheap Logitech keyboard if the Magic Keyboard is too expensive for you.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
If she’s going to use the iPad for anything else, like Zoom, know that apps aren’t desktop quality on the iPad. She will have limited functions and abilities than on a laptop.
But for the use cases above, even a base iPad would work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.