Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have the 11” 2020 iPad Pro, but I am thinking about exchanging it for the 12.9”. Does it make a significant difference when watching movies and shows on say Netflix or youtube to have the larger display? I‘ve seen some comparison videos on YouTube and it doesn’t seem to make a huge difference, both models seem to have large black bars. I wish the iPad displays had the same aspect ration of the 13” MacBooks.

Just some other random thoughts: I also have the  MK and I find it to be a little cramped for my hands on the 11” model. I think the main issue with the keyboard is when you go from the 11” keyboard to a desktop sized keyboard and back, it’s like having to get used to it all over again.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It should only take a day or two to get used to the bigger keyboard.

I think what he was trying to say was that he's currently going back and forth between smaller keyboard (11") and a bigger one on his desktop computer... and probably not dedicating a day or two on each device to get used to it. having the 12.9 would eliminate this issue and there'd be no "getting used to" at all with consistent sizes.

zaribars

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Videos don’t appear to be much bigger. Like you said, slightly larger video but even larger black bars.

And the keyboard is much more expansive and comfortable to type on.

I will add however that the 11” is much more comfortable to handle and feels more intimate. But the screen size on the 12.9” more than makes up for it. At least for me. Trade offs either way.

Hope this helps. FWIW I first bought the 11” then returned it and went 12.9”. Both with Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: Ghost31

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t think the differences are huge.
I personally welcome that the screens are not 16:10 as that seems only ok for movies and anything else feels cramped. And then there is portrait mode which is nice on iPad and I wouldn’t want to have a much narrower screen.

OP, maybe invest in a nice little TV to better the TV experience?

Reactions: rui no onna

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The black bars wouldn’t be such an issue if the screens were OLED. Even though there’s still black bars, video is still significantly larger on the 12.9.

I haven’t tried the new model but I tried the old one for s&g’s and just found it comically large. I didn’t feel like I‘d ever want to take it outside the house so I settled on the 10.5 which I have used more than I’ve ever used any iPad in the past. I find the keyboard to be more than adequate and almost prefer the smaller size in some ways.

That said, I’ve been considering the new 12.9 as well as it looks and feels more portable and I’ve been using my iPad much more than a laptop lately. The problem still remains though that the larger screen is best suited for artists and photo/video apps - apps in which I don’t personally plan on using much. Most other apps don’t take advantage of the bigger screen. A lot of websites don’t either. I also hold it as a tablet in bed a lot and the 12.9 would just be too big for that.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
16:9
10.5: 8.4" x 4.7"
11.0: 9.0" x 5.1"
12.9: 10.3" x 5.8"

2.35:1
10.5: 8.4" x 3.6"
11.0: 9.0" x 3.8"
12.9: 10.3" x 4.4"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.