iPad Pro 12.9 128gb for 750 or new 9.7 pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Meever, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I've tried playing with the larger iPad Pro for a bit and it was a little unwieldy. But it was overall quite usable and fantastic. The iPad Air form factor is what I'm accustomed to and just a pleasure to travel with.

All the upgrades for the smaller iPad seem fantastic, but with the price hike and the depreciation of the larger iPad Pro the decision has become a bit more difficult to make.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. glowrider, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

glowrider macrumors regular

I bought the $750 ipp on sale. Have it here with the 9.7.

I forgot how small an iPad is having not had one in a while. Almost like going back to an iPad mini.

Small screen is usable for most things but may keep ipp 12.9. Why? Because astropad doesn't exist for Windows yet. What does that mean to me? It means that he killer feature of the pro is useless to me away from my iMac at home. At home the big screen rocks.

Everywhere else the 9.7 is so comfortable. Leaning more towards keeping both than returning either when I compare it to a cintiq it's still cheap and more versatile.

Dell 9550 15" and ipp 9.7 will be my road kit

Edit: 750 after 799 sale + store credit

3. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

I think it boils down to screen sizes for most people, and if you want to go all-in on a 12.9" screen. I wouldn't worry about performance of the 2vs4GB of RAM, but if you want to hold the iPad a lot vs more desk or stand use. If that makes sense.

4. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've had a few days of working with a 12.9 Pro. The size was quite a shock considering that I have used a 9.7 iPad DAILY since the day-1 of the iPad 1. For the first few hours I was like, "Dang! This thing is gargantuan!" It seemed unwieldly. But as time goes by, it has started to feel smaller. It is helpful that I don't have a full case but currently have the keyboard cover on front and a thin clear film to protect the back.

As a digital notebook/sketchbook, the 12.9 size is much better. When using spreadsheets, the same. I've used splitwindow on my Samsung GTab 8.4 Pro and it was useful. On my Air 2, it was even better... but with the 12.9 it is fantastic. It is essentially like having to Air 2's side-by-side. (that's both a benefit and a detriment).

I've had to buy a new tote to transport the 12.9 Pro (arrives today) and I'm going to experiment with how well the onscreen keyboard works on this larger screen. It might be nice to be able to use just the Pro with a smart cover.

All that to say, if you decide to try one out in every day use, give yourself a week or so of heavy use to get a feel for how well it will fit into your workflow and use cases.

Staples offered it last week at that price and many places, including Best Buy, price-matched them.

6. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    It was $799 - not $749. Right?

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

ah yes, you are correct... though some were able to stack Best Buy's mover's coupon that brought it down to $750.

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

9. Meever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for the input everyone. I really appreciate it!

10. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

The iPad Pro 12" is fantastic for use at home, not so sure about taking it out. I do take it out with me to my local Starbucks but when at work in the office I just take an iPad mini. I guess the 9.7 Pro would be the best of both worlds but just like my iPhone 6s Plus, I can't see me going smaller. Once you get used to the bigger size it's hard to downsize.

11. glowrider macrumors regular

Sorry I had a 50 credit that applied to the 799

12. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    It's weird hearing people say the large 12.9" makes using other iOS devices really weird. I jump from the iPhone to iPad Air to Apple Watch, and then the 12.9" and never have any kind of issue. (there's just no pencil) lol
    But back to the OP question, I go with the 12.9" for that deal anyday! No matter the size. That's a steal. :)

K.