Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unclefarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Hello,
I have an out-of-warranty iPad Pro with a problem that's always bothered me. But I'm wanting to sell it now and get the new one so I want to see how I need to advertise this issue. I also have an appointment with a Genius for Friday, but thought I'd look for some advice beforehand. In the past, I haven't had great experiences at the Genius Bar so just thought I'd do my homework!

qqSrHAY.jpg

So here's my screen. The pic is difficult to see the problem unless you treat it like one of those games where you have to take your eyes out of focus etc. It's basically a purple / blue smudge looking thing under the screen. It's really only visible on a white screen. Which means I usually see it on a blank canvas when I'm about to draw.

I showed it to a buddy and he said his 5s did this because of battery swelling. I checked the location of the batteries on the iPad Pro 12.9 and wouldn't you know it, where this line smudge is, is right on the edge of the bottom battery. So it seems very possible that this is the cause. I was wondering if anybody else had had a problem like this or might know of alternative theories for the cause. I haven't really seen anybody else complaining about the same issue so I don't think it's too widespread unless I'm using the wrong search terms.

Nothing else with the device has problems. Doesn't overheat, no bulging that I can see. So I'm not sure. Just thought I'd see what you all think while I wait for an appointment.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not think most buyers would notice this mark. We all got to remember that it is US that is not normal. Being in these forums expose us to more problems than an outsider would ever see. Sell it on Craig's List so you walk away with your money.

unclefarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Just an update that I did take this to Apple and they wanted me to pay like $600 to have the screen replaced. I'm still very unhappy and see this all the time. The problem is right on top of the seam of the battery when looking at the schematics. It just feels so obvious that it's not a problem I caused but rather a hardware defect. What's worse is that it's $600 to fix it--far more than I could get from selling the device even with a replaced screen.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I swap between both actually.
The reason I asked is because after keeping the iPP shut with the ASK on my 12.9 in a bag, it has the same vertical smudges top to bottom. Had the same on my 10.5" with smart cover after a while. In the photo you posted it looked like vertical smudge to me, on the exact same area, and it's very hard to get rid of completely. I just learned how to live with it.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I do not think most buyers would notice this mark. We all got to remember that it is US that is not normal. Being in these forums expose us to more problems than an outsider would ever see. Sell it on Craig's List so you walk away with your money.

I feel like it's really rude to just try and hide an issue like this that you can see. If OP try's to sell the iPad I feel like he has a responsibility to list this issue or they would be incredibly deceptive and perhaps even scamming the buyer depending on how they list the condition (would also make it really easy for someone to screw your around and ask for returns etc)

Reactions: 44267547

unclefarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I feel like it's really rude to just try and hide an issue like this that you can see. If OP try's to sell the iPad I feel like he has a responsibility to list this issue or they would be incredibly deceptive and perhaps even scamming the buyer depending on how they list the condition (would also make it really easy for someone to screw your around and ask for returns etc)

ya, I would never try to do that. it bothers me enough to make a forum post about it so i think that would warrant disclosure. i've also lost interest in the new one so i'll probably hang onto my ugly screen :(
[doublepost=1503511424][/doublepost]
The reason I asked is because after keeping the iPP shut with the ASK on my 12.9 in a bag, it has the same vertical smudges top to bottom. Had the same on my 10.5" with smart cover after a while. In the photo you posted it looked like vertical smudge to me, on the exact same area, and it's very hard to get rid of completely. I just learned how to live with it.

this is very interesting! my smudge runs from top to bottom of landscape mode (perpendicular to the creases of the smart cover). i'm slowly learning how to deal (avoiding white screens lol)

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Glad to hear that :D

Are we coming to the conclusion that the Smart Cover/keyboard could be causing this? If so I better stop using the Smart Cover on mine :( I was even considering ordering the keyboard soon :p

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Glad to hear that :D

Are we coming to the conclusion that the Smart Cover/keyboard could be causing this? If so I better stop using the Smart Cover on mine :( I was even considering ordering the keyboard soon :p
A protective skin would help. Good thing is it's not battery related, or nothing wrong with the LCD itself. Clean the screen well and apply a protective skin (or tempered glass, but I don't like those).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just an update that I did take this to Apple and they wanted me to pay like $600 to have the screen replaced.

wrong. they wanted you to pay $600 to replace a full unit that is out of warranty. but nice try on making them seem like *******s wanting to you to pay a huge amount for a single part.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Just an update that I did take this to Apple and they wanted me to pay like $600 to have the screen replaced. I'm still very unhappy and see this all the time. The problem is right on top of the seam of the battery when looking at the schematics. It just feels so obvious that it's not a problem I caused but rather a hardware defect. What's worse is that it's $600 to fix it--far more than I could get from selling the device even with a replaced screen.

The $600 fee is standard, and well documented - see https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/other

The iPad Pros are the main devices that you will most likely want to buy with AppleCare+ because of the exorbitant out-of-warranty costs. Unless you are absolutely sure your iPad will be fine (even in this case, the "damage" isn't through any fault of your own) - it's still better to get AppleCare+.

EDIT: Although admittedly in this case, your iPad Pro might be more than 2 years old, in which case your are SOL either way - perhaps a third party warranty or credit card warranty would work better if you want to insure it beyond 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.