Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
My iPad Pro 12.9” - 1st Gen (2015) suddenly went blank. I had been using it and set it down for half an hour plugged in, came back and it wouldn’t turn on.

I’ve tried force resetting (holding Power + Home button) and have tried charging with a different cable and power brick. I’ve plugged it into my Mac to see if iTunes recognized it. Nothing.

There had been no indications that the iPad was having any trouble. It still retained a charge for a couple of hours of use at the very least.

Anybody ever see this? Are there any known defects in this model? 3 years isn’t a reasonable lifespan for a $1500 iPad. I have a 5 year old iPad Air that still works great.

I’ve been tempted by the new iPad Pros but now’s not a good time to spend that kind of cash. I’m wondering if it’s really dead, if I pay the $600 to repair/replace it and get a 3 year old model or if I just give up on it and buy a new 2018 iPad Pro.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just got back from the Apple Store. The iPad is dead. It just spontaneously fried itself. Being 3 years old, I was shizz out of luck.

Bought a new 12.9” iPad Pro and Pencil 2. Ouch, my wallet.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Oof, sorry to hear about it! I guess even AppleCare wouldn’t have saved you in this situation. There’s definitely more of an expectation for longevity in a product once you invested $1,000+ In that case, I might have gone to a third party repair shop to see if it could be salvaged for less than $600.

Having said that, the new iPad Pros are gorgeous. I’ve been without an iPad for a year or so and just got an 11” Pro myself. My wallet hurts too, but I’m using it so much more than any of my other devices.

Reactions: ipedro

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
wow! Did you ever turn it off when not using? My 3rd gen iPad still runs. It's a tad bit slow and doesn't have a lot of space but runs. That is odd. I have like several Apple gear that I still use that's at least 5-20years old.

This new one ...try turning it off at nights to help the battery out.

Yassmien

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2019
Hey, I’m so sorry for your loss. My ipad Pro 2017 just died like yours & I’m really sad. I just wanted to know what did they tell you about that sudden death at apple store coz I live in a place with no apple stores. Is it a battery problem or something esle? Did they give you the option to repair it? Did they give you the option to replace it?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hey, I’m so sorry for your loss. My ipad Pro 2017 just died like yours & I’m really sad. I just wanted to know what did they tell you about that sudden death at apple store coz I live in a place with no apple stores. Is it a battery problem or something esle? Did they give you the option to repair it? Did they give you the option to replace it?

They quoted CAD$600 “to repair” which the genius told me off the record is just a straight replacement. They would have to send it in for a diagnostic before replacing it though.

I ended up buying the new iPad Pro instead but have kept my dead iPad, planning to do that $700 replacement.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Just got back from the Apple Store. The iPad is dead. It just spontaneously fried itself. Being 3 years old, I was shizz out of luck.

Bought a new 12.9” iPad Pro and Pencil 2. Ouch, my wallet.

Wow, that's some BS. Unacceptable for such an expensive device. I would've really thought long and hard before buying another one. iPads seem to have more problems than iPhones. I turned my Air 1 today after updating it successfully to 12.3 last week to find the screen completely unresponsive to touch. All of the buttons work but it's as if the touch controllers or digitizer is dead without being dropped or anything. This kind of crap is unacceptable.

Willywy

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
Next time, it is necessary to try the recovery mode:
1. Turn off the iPad
2. Turn on the computer (make sure it is running the latest iTunes) and open iTunes
3. Connect the Lightning cable to your computer. Unplug the other end of the power plug
4. On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and connect the Lightning Cable at the same time
5. Press the Home button until you see "Connect to iTunes Screen" on the iPad or iTunes detects your iDevice
6. After iTunes detects your device, a message pops up informing you that iTunes has found the device and is currently in recovery mode.
7. Follow any instructions on the screen

Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Oh no , I had an air 2 go kaput on me last year , luckily I’ve got backup iPads

Hope my 12.9s keep on rocking, then again looks like I need more ram so I’ll probably get an m1 one soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.