Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I have a chance to pick up some very very cheap iPad Pros with home buttons from a buddy, and was just curious what the consensus is on which year is more reliable overall, the 2015 or the 2017. Over the years I've read various things scattered throughout forums but not anything concrete comparing them.

Mostly worried about issues with the screen, as that's going to be the main use of the tablet if I do pick it up. I remember hearing issues with touch going on the 2017 and white spot (White spot may have been 10.5" issue, but I swear I heard about it on the 12.9") so I'd like to avoid those. At the same time I've heard similar issues started cropping up with the 2015s.

Differences in performance are a nonissue as this will not be online or with many apps, and they're all running iOS 10 still so speed will be fine. I do have the 2018 model for anything modern. Just don't want to miss out on the deal while it's here but I'm not going to buy an unreliable tablet.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a chance to pick up some very very cheap iPad Pros with home buttons from a buddy, and was just curious what the consensus is on which year is more reliable overall, the 2015 or the 2017. Over the years I've read various things scattered throughout forums but not anything concrete comparing them.

Mostly worried about issues with the screen, as that's going to be the main use of the tablet if I do pick it up. I remember hearing issues with touch going on the 2017 and white spot (White spot may have been 10.5" issue, but I swear I heard about it on the 12.9") so I'd like to avoid those. At the same time I've heard similar issues started cropping up with the 2015s.

Differences in performance are a nonissue as this will not be online or with many apps, and they're all running iOS 10 still so speed will be fine. I do have the 2018 model for anything modern. Just don't want to miss out on the deal while it's here but I'm not going to buy an unreliable tablet.
The 2015 iPad Pro is more reliable, but is worse overall.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I have the 12.9 first gen and the 10.5. From my experience and from what I can gather, the 10.5 main problem was the white spot (my has it and it's annoying) and to a lesser extend unresponsive screen (screen freezes for a short while randomly while you use it). The 2017 12.9 had the unresponsive screen as its main issue and the white spot to a lesser extent. So yes it's more unreliable.
When it comes to advantages of the 2017 over the 2017, RAM is the same, so the 2 advantages are CPU and 120hz.
Personally I don't care about 120hz, but YMMV. CPU-wise, the A9X is a dual core system, pretty powerful cores, but just 2, while the A10X has 3 powerful cores (plus some efficiency cores). I just put them side by side and the difference is really a fraction of a second in favour of A10X (A9X can have only 2 apps at the same time, A10X can have 3), they really fell very close (same thing when you put 10.5 and 11 next to each other, they feel very close in speed...). I would pick the 2015 one, even if it's at the same price...

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
I still have my ipad pro 12.9 first gen, 4 years in service, only issue was mid last year when it keep shutting down and restart due to battery life. On its first year it was badly bent due to accidental bump but managed to survive. After contacting support last week and remote diagnostic, it was confirmed due for battery replacement. Here i am now typing on my newly replaced ipad pro. Looking for another couple of years before upgrading, sad that smart keyboard has been obsoleted

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I still have my ipad pro 12.9 first, 4 years in service, only issue was mid last year when it keep shutting down and restart due to battery life. On its first year it was badly bent due to accidental bump but managed to survive. After contacting support last week and remote diagnostic, it was confirmed due for battery replacement. Here i am now typing on my newly replaced ipad pro. Looking for another couple of years before upgrading, sad that smart keyboard has been obsoleted
You should easily find smart keyboards used (and for less than the original price)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
it's a good price... I originally bought a logitech one, which broke with time, and when I bought the Apple one 2 years ago it was not sold anymore and got it used for around $90 including shipping... Which is not cheap but almost half the original price...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'd check the battery endurance on the 2015 if possible, starting to notice mine is getting weaker now. Having to replace it could be a hidden cost. Other than that there's still nothing not to like about it! Of note with the screen unresponsiveness, I'm sure I have experienced something similar with this 2015, but only very occasionally. While some say it's a hardware issue with the 2017 this seems more of a software thing to me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'd check the battery endurance on the 2015 if possible, starting to notice mine is getting weaker now. Having to replace it could be a hidden cost. Other than that there's still nothing not to like about it! Of note with the screen unresponsiveness, I'm sure I have experienced something similar with this 2015, but only very occasionally. While some say it's a hardware issue with the 2017 this seems more of a software thing to me.
Screen unresponsiveness can happen with any iPad, it even happened with the 11 pro once, but it's extremely rare. With the 10.5 it's not rare, and the 2017 12.9 seems to be the worst on this respect

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Screen unresponsiveness can happen with any iPad, it even happened with the 11 pro once, but it's extremely rare. With the 10.5 it's not rare, and the 2017 12.9 seems to be the worst on this respect
Yes it certainly seems more prevalent on 2017s from the discussion threads I've read, it's strange if it is a hardware issue that there's also a minor software bug that can cause much the same symptoms though (albeit more infrequently).

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
1st Gen seems more reliable, pretty rock solid but kinda getting oldish depending on your usage and needs.
2nd Gens seem to have touch and screens going unresponsive at some point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.