Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rubenrp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
I know that the older 12.9 Pro was frequently seen as too large/heavy to use comfortably on flights - but some comments seem to indicate that that's no longer the case with the new model. For those of you that have tried it, what's your take? And have flight attendants allowed you to keep it out, on and in use (in airplane mode) at takeoff/landing?

For context, I'm considering buying it as my main device for trips, and using it without a case, carrying it in a minimalistic padded sleeve with a small folding stand (like the Plinth) and a separate folding Bluetooth keyboard. In other words, traveling as light as possible.

Many thanks to all in advance for your experience reports.

cep55

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I took mine on a series of trips the week I got it. I flew coach on Southwest and American, and the fit was great. Easy to maneuver, and fit perfectly on the tray table, with just enough room to fit a drink (I was using it with the Apple keyboard folio.)

I was allowed to use it at takeoff and landing, just like any other small portable device (not regarded as a laptop by any of the crews on my flights.)

I also have the 11” with the ASK, and I didn’t find any significant difference/advantage to it over the 12.9” in the way I use it, on planes. (And if you’re not going to use the ASK, the 12.9” will seem considerably smaller than the way I’ve been using it.)

Last edited:

smarcotte

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Recently flew on Delta from Boston to Atlanta and used the 12.9 for a good portion of the flight. I watched videos I had downloaded onto the iPad and found that with the Apple keyboard folio it was a good fit on the tray table. The angle of the screen was almost perfect for video viewing. Also, used a USB-C dongle to use Bose noise cancelling headphones. It all worked well.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I know that the older 12.9 Pro was frequently seen as too large/heavy to use comfortably on flights - but some comments seem to indicate that that's no longer the case with the new model. For those of you that have tried it, what's your take? And have flight attendants allowed you to keep it out, on and in use (in airplane mode) at takeoff/landing?

For context, I'm considering buying it as my main device for trips, and using it without a case, carrying it in a minimalistic padded sleeve with a small folding stand (like the Plinth) and a separate folding Bluetooth keyboard. In other words, traveling as light as possible.

I used the gen one 12.9 on 500 plus hours of international flights. It was my main device and really didn’t take up any more tray table space than my 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro. Plus the 12.9 doesn’t weigh as much as my Macbook. My expereice was very positive while flying. Just for example... my usage case was in economy class. It was also on larger airplanes doing international flights from the States to different parts of Asia. I don’t have any experience on smaller jets or even smaller regional carrier. I know have the new 12.9 iPP pro. I’m working from home until after the first of the year, so no flights with the new 12.9 yet. However, I think its safe to say that it will fit my needs even better since is a little smaller. I think if you’re used to using a MacBook while flying you’ll most likely be fine with the 12.9.

PLUS... None of us live on airplanes. So buy the size that fits your majority life not your minority life. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: muzzy996 and cep55

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I travelled with my new 12.9” Pro and it travels great. Was worried about the iPad bending more than anything with the stowing under the seat in the backpack thing and all, so I took out out before I put everything away. Size wise however, all was great.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I used the gen one 12.9 on 500 plus hours of international flights. It was my main device and really didn’t take up any more tray table space than my 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro. Plus the 12.9 doesn’t weigh as much as my Macbook. My expereice was very positive while flying. Just for example... my usage case was in economy class. It was also on larger airplanes doing international flights from the States to different parts of Asia. I don’t have any experience on smaller jets or even smaller regional carrier. I know have the new 12.9 iPP pro. I’m working from home until after the first of the year, so no flights with the new 12.9 yet. However, I think its safe to say that it will fit my needs even better since is a little smaller. I think if you’re used to using a MacBook while flying you’ll most likely be fine with the 12.9.

PLUS... None of us live on airplanes. So buy the size that fits your majority life not your minority life. Just my humble opinion.
Similar experience. I took my second gen 12.9 on many flights, found it easy to use, and I was never given a hard time about it.

Reactions: RevTEG

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Southwest hasn’t asked me to put mine away yet on 6 flights. It fits on the tray perfectly fine, and even with in 10,000’ when the tray tables must be up I have not been asked to put mine away while using it as a tablet.

However, this is entirely up to any given flight attendant on any given day. I NEVER disagree with flight attendants on things like this because they have to put up with so much every day.

Reactions: kwilzz_

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

I’ve used it on a flight and everything went great!

rubenrp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
My thanks to everyone - your experiences are what I was hoping to hear, and confirm that this type of use works well.

Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.