iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) speakers strange buzz/ resonance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robertjan88, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Robertjan88, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Robertjan88 macrumors regular

When listening Christmas songs on my 12.9 inch iPad (2018), I noticed that, once the volume is turned up to 3/4 of max (or higher), a strange buzz/resonance (hard to describe) "appears" in the background of the music.

It's not just 1 speaker, but all 4 producing the same buzz/resonance. The 2 on top are a bit louder though.

Can someone please check? Just want to make sure I don't have an issue with my iPad.

Using Tidal (320kbit rate) and really noticed when playing the "Christmas Canon (Cannon in D)" song.

Other songs produce the same, but the above song was a great test subject.

Thanks!

2. Robertjan88, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone who can check if the same is occurring with his/her iPad Pro (2018)?

3. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

I just tried this with my iPad but didn’t notice anything obvious. I was playing the Christmas Canon as well (from Apple Music).
    Any more description on what kind of buzzing you are hearing?

-D

4. Robertjan88, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

I indeed have a hard time describing the sound. It's almost some kind of background pitch or static sound. Since it's all 4 speakers, I highly doubt it's HW related, but still. Maybe it's the vibration of the speakers? Now I know it's there it's annoying. :(

Edit: uploading a small recording now
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2018 ---
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7iorxuvsbf59sf/Sound.m4a?dl=0

I used my phone's recording software to record a 5 second audio file. As you can hear, there is a strange pitch in the background of the song.

5. AlexiTQ macrumors member

AlexiTQ

Can you link to the exact file you're playing?

6. Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely! Please find below the exact info.

Album: "Christmas Music" by Christmas Songs http://tidal.com/album/20619116

Track 34 - Christmas Carol (Canon in D): tidal.com/browse/track/20619150

Looking forward and many thanks for checking!

7. Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

Interestingly, when listening carefully, I can hear the same "pitch" on my phone when playing certain songs (like the one linked above). Of course, a lot less prominent as the speakers are A LOT weaker.

Might it be that there is a certain hight tone which is complex for mobile devices?

@AlexiTQ , please let me know if you experience the same on your iPad Pro (when turning up the volume). Your input would be very much appreciated! :)

For those who don't have Tidal, but use Spotify, you might run into the same "issue" when playing the song under the following link (make sure to increase the volume above 3/4 of max): https://open.spotify.com/track/2ZuU1KJNDFLulfUhBlZUc8?nd=1
    (Took me a bit to find the exact same track, but it's definitely one of the best songs to test this)

8. pbird macrumors member

I listened to the Spotify version and this track definitely has a whining background hiss that I can easily hear on maximum volume. But I think it's is in the track because I can also hear it on my etymotic in ears on my iPhone which are very good headphones. Do you have another recording I can listen too?

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

10. Robertjan88, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

I made a second recording of another track and yet again I noticed the same on my Samsung 7 Edge.

Please find the link to the file below:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cigfl6ot1osohxi/Sound 2.m4a?dl=0

Track 49 (not 4). Same album:
    http://tidal.com/track/20619165

This really seems something related to the pitch/audio used for this CD. Even though I also noticed it with another one. Maybe this kind of "tone" it's hard on mobile devices?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    Did you listen to the exact tunes I linked? The fact that it is also appearing on pbird's iPhone and my 7 Edge let's me believe it is a certain tune/sound that is hard to handle for mobile devices.

It's surprisingly that you don't seem to experience this.

What iPad Pro 12.9 are you using? 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen?

Apart from that, are you turning up the audio? I cannot hear it either till approx 3/4th of max volume.

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Nope, didn’t click your link. But I’ve owned my 3rd gen since launch and have been cranking these speakers.

In my experience I have never heard them distort or buzz what so ever.

If it’s the only song you’re experiencing this buzz then it’s probably not your ipad

12. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

My 11 inch does the same thing... when the speakers are muted / volume is all the way down. Can actually still hear what is playing, just really muffled :(

13. pbird macrumors member

Yes the Dropbox file has a similar background hiss also with headphones. Is it from the same recording? Again it's the track not the speakers. I don't hear it on any other music I have played.

14. Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

The Dropbox file I uploaded today was Track 49. It was recorded this morning.

The first one I uploaded to Dropbox yesterday was Track 34.

They are different songs, but part of the same album.

15. pbird macrumors member

Sounds a bit like analog recording artifacts

16. AlexiTQ macrumors member

AlexiTQ

That whining in the background is from the recording so it's not an issue with your iPad.

17. Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

So you experienced the same when playing the tracks I linked to on your iPad?
    It's a relieve to know nothing is wrong with my device. :)