iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen Accessories hopefull

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Coolpher, Mar 6, 2017.

?

Will 2nd Gen Accessories work on 1st gen Device also

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

I have had my iPad Pro 12.9 128 GB w/ cellular since December 2015 with the smart keyboard and the Apple Pencil I use the smart keyboard every day I only use the Apple Pencil from time to time so I guess I'm hopeful that they will release a 2nd Gen smart keyboard possibly with more color options possible but unlikely backlit and hopefully very likely will work on 1st Gen 12.9

I'd really love to know what everybody think especially people that own the 1st Gen iPad Pro 12.9

2. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Generally, generations of add ons will have the Gen 1 capability for Gen 1 devices (like an :apple: Pencil Air Pro 2 will act as an :apple: Pencil on a Gen 1 iPad). Kind of like SATA 3 will act as SATA 2 on that bus, as the Gen 2 devices have features that will only work with the hardware on a Gen 2 iPad.

For your immediate concern, I had an iPad 9.7 Pro briefly, and got the Logitech Keyboard and loved it. The backlighting didn't drain the battery that I could tell, and the keys did well. Just something, hopefully, to think about. Plus it has an :apple: Pencil holder.

3. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a redesigned keyboard as well. I had the original Apple Smart Keyboard and I loved the design, but the letter indicators on the keys wore off on the most commonly pressed keys after a few months. So I exchanged it for a new one, and the same thing happened again. Now I'm using a Brydge keyboard, and while I like it, I do miss the lighter weight and magnetic attachment of the Apple Smart Keyboard. I'm actually hoping they will release something more similar to the Microsoft Surface keyboards -- something with a similar design to the current Smart Keyboard, but with actual plastic buttons instead instead of the fabric buttons. Not only would it solve the issue I had, but it would also be easier to type on and provide better tactical feedback.

4. fokmik macrumors 65816

the smart keyboard just lacks backlit thats all

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, but I noticed that the Apple Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro 12.9 is on sale at Amazon for $108. I've never seen such a big discount before, and this is NOT from a reseller but direct from Apple. Could this mean a new keyboard is being launched soon?

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

It really depends on the tech in the devices. If they change how the Pencil interacts with the screen, then the Pencil 2 will only be compatible with newer iPads.

If they just make other improvements (battery, additional nib types, etc.) It should be backward compatible.