iPad Pro iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen wifi + cell startup time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Leroy_Melb, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Leroy_Melb macrumors newbie

Leroy_Melb

Hi Folks,

I have a new iPad Pro 2nd Gen - Wifi + Cell 256GB. Startup time (from powered off, Holding power button down to seeing the apple logo) seems significantly longer when compared to 1st gen - almost to the point that you think the iPad is DOA.

For example: When connected to power - Startup time = 2 seconds (very acceptable). When not connected to power (i.e. Battery) - always circa 6 seconds. Maybe I'm a bit OCD but this seems inconsistent with other iOS devices which have a delay of only 1-2 seconds regardless of being plugged in or not.

I went to the Apple Store and asked - reply was "Don't turn it off and you won't have the problem".

So I'm interested in some stats from folks who have this model and whether the startup behaviour is consistent with your own experiences so I can better determine if my unit is defective or has a problem or if this behaviour is by design.

Other than this the iPad functions perfectly. This new one is super fast and the screen is excellent.

2. Non-Polar macrumors member

If you're complaining about 6 seconds, you should see how long it takes for me to turn on my iPhone 7+ and Apple Watch o_O

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That would've pissed me off and wouldn't have been a good day for that Apple rep!

Anyway, I have the same *issue* (if you wanna call it) on my 10.5 as well. However, it's trivial (to me, and I've seen it on every 10.5 I've been thru) compared to other problems I've seen, so I'm not going to bother.

4. seadragon Contributor

Yeah, I notice it too. My 9.7 Pro and new 12.9 Pro have the same charcteristic. Probably does some kind of battery preflight check before booting up or something.

5. Leroy_Melb thread starter macrumors newbie

Leroy_Melb

Thanks for letting me know.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2017 ---
    Thanks for that. Appreciate that this must be a more general problem than just my device.

6. Leroy_Melb thread starter macrumors newbie

Leroy_Melb

just restarting the thread. Ive read that some with 10.5" pad pros have some long boot times from holding the button down to seeing the apple logo. Now that this device is a bit ore popular has anyone had similar experiences?

7. sparksd macrumors 65816

My 10.5 LTE Pro is maybe at around 5 secs for the logo to show after pressing the start button and it doesn't take long at all to get to the security screen; in fact, it strikes me as amazingly fast. I'd say it's worth praising, not denigrating.

8. seadragon Contributor

FWIW, the iPhone exhibits the same behaviour. Definitely by design I’d say. If the phone or iPad is plugged into power, the logo appears immediately. When not connected to power, there is the delay.

9. sparksd macrumors 65816

Edit: Boot while plugged in is definitely quicker but only by a few seconds.