ipad pro 12.9 bezel too big?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joonhere, Jan 16, 2018.

1. joonhere macrumors newbie

Hey guys, recently gave away my ipad pro 10.5 and got myself the 12.9.

I guess I got used to the skinny bezel on 10.5 ipad and the bezel on 12.9 seems so..thick

anyone else with 12.9 ipad also think this way???

I cant unsee it..lol

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yes, too big and heavy overall in my eyes. Great for the desktop, but not mobile.

3. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I mean I’d love the 12.9” to have all it’s bezels like the 10.5 inches’ sides, or like iPhone X. As it is though, they aren’t TOO BIG. They just don’t seem necessary TBH.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPad 12.9” and think even with the iPad Air’s 2013 design, it still looks really cool. I just want a digital home button or Face ID.
    And Apple does need a new design, the 10.5” was more gimmicky IMO, like: “hey look everyone the sides are smaller this iPad is revolutionary!”
    But in actuality it is probably Apple milking the last bit out of the design. I see the 10.5” redesign more as a place holder or filler until we get a real re-design.
    *hopefully that’s the case. And hopefully we get new iPads this year instead of 2019. I liked Apple’s annual iPad events, this new system (where we have no idea when they will unveil iPads is ridiculously annoying.)

Whoops back on topic, no, I really don’t think the bezels are way too big on the 12.9” but bezels in general are going out of style, so a re-design is warranted. :)

K.

4. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

They don’t seem big to me, because they are exactly the same as on my Air 2, which means that they are smaller proportionally. I haven’t had a 10.5 yet... waiting for redesign, since Air 2 still runs so well.

5. canesalato macrumors 65816

canesalato

I think they are a bit too big, but not the end of the world =)

6. subjonas macrumors 68000

No, but it’s because I am a bezel-lover. I like being able to hold my devices comfortably and confidently, without touching the screen. I go sketching from time to time, and especially while standing I can’t imagine not having those bezels to grip and manipulate the iPad.

7. Omni Slash macrumors member

Omni Slash

It's big.

[​IMG]

And the 10.5 only has narrow bezel on the sides but still have big top and bottom. The round home button takes more space than the elongated one used by a Samsung.

8. fokmik macrumors 68040

2018 will be the year that the 12.9" will have a reduce in size and weight thanks to its bezels shrink

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

It's obviously a matter of personal opinion, but I don't find the bezels large... not at all. I'm more "bothered" by the lack of consistency in the bezels (top/bottom vs. sides) than in the width of them. As for the weight, it already super light and super thin.

I'm curious, do the people who think that the 12.9 iPP is too heavy use a case, cover, or without anything? Most of the time I use mine with just a smart cover (I have a thin, clear skin on the back). Relative to its size, it feels very light. But if someone has a full case on it, I can see where it would seem heavy.

10. fokmik macrumors 68040

since with a cover for the display, its around 800g...so its just 100g lighter than the 12" Macbook that has much more potential
    So, Apple needs to make the 13" iPP lighter and compact, and this is easy by reducing the bezels and make all 4 of them the same thickness

11. sdz macrumors 6502

With smart keyboard it is 1,05kg. Heavier thsn MacBook

12. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I don’t think it is at all heavy even with 1/2lbs leather Smart Cover and 1/3lbs Zagg Glass Cover on it, it is still great. The weight really is amazing considering the size of this iPad v the 10.5”

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Thought the bezels on the 10.5 and 12.9 were about the same. I tried the 12.9 for a week and traded it back in for another 10.5. Just seemed to big for me, even the keyboard was too big.

14. Jonathantuba macrumors regular

Jonathantuba

I would prefer if the bezels were smaller (and it had Face ID), but that does not worry me at all. I am looking at the screen and not the bezels.

Minimising bezels on an iPhone is I think more important on an iPhone than iPad

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

If they could slim down the overall size of the device, while keeping the 12.9 inch screen - I'll be buying it.

16. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

bigger bezels are better for me as i use it for drawing. i would get more gesture and touch glitches that i already do with smaller bezel. But i know the direction ipad is heading, small bezel . too bad because its worse for art and content creation. but im not really surprised because art is not the main purpose of the ipad. its more general purpose tablet.

17. bensisko macrumors 65816

Personally, thin and light are big features for me so anything that increases thickness or weight (including a Smart Cover) negates the advantages of thickness and weight for me. I hate cases and covers, but they’re necessary evils for transportation of the device to protect the screen.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    Agreed - especially keeping in mind that bezels are slimming instead of getting bigger.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No doubt it is too big but Apple should fix when it gets updated. Love the 10.5’s bezels.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I guess a person utilitizing the pen can greatly benefit from the potential of the MacBook.

Riding the train to work I have spoken with many people that have integrated the iPP into their personal and business routines without compromise.

Measuring the potential of a product is extremely subjective.

20. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Reduction of bezel, sure. Elimination? Uncertain about I'd feel about this in regard to drawing. I am not sure if more or less bezel would contribute to palm rejection in Procreate (I have issues with that. Holding off on investing in those drawing gloves if I should ever upgrade.)

Now for reading? I am sure less bezel would be nice.

Is 12.9" bezel too big? I do not think so.

21. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

I like the white bezels on mine. A poll for this thread would have been (unscientific, but) helpful.

22. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

Yes, it's bezel and same design as first gen is sooooo 2015 the worst is it looks like a regular iPad Air from 200 Feet away. Due to Thick Bezels. I hope the 3rd gen iPad Pro (2018 or 2019) would be similar to iPhone X which is bezelless.

23. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Since apparently many Apple customers find the notch of the iPhone X to not only NOT be a problem but to be a preferred aesthetic to bezels, it is quite possible that the next iPad will do away with bezels altogether and simply have 4 notches... one in the middle of each side. This will enable people to hold them in portrait or landscape orientation.

Before you dismiss this, remember, at the end of WWDC where Apple unveiled the emoji-centric updates to iOS 10, I correctly predicted that iOS 11 would introduce animojis. :p

24. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Not really - I’ve never had an issue with the bezels

25. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

You'll be obsessively cleaning thumbprints without the bezel. You won't get anything done.