iPad Pro 12.9 for non-pro tasks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Aug 20, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I have an iPad Air 2. I love it, use it a ton for web browsing, reading news, watching NHL and MLB, YouTube, email, viewing photos, and playing games. This is mainly all I do on my iPad, nothing work or school related. I have my MacBook Pro for "pro" sort of stuff.
    So my question is, would the iPad Pro 12.9" be an upgrade for doing these things purely because of the screen size? I'm thinking the screen could be super immersive for watching and browsing. However, I often use my iPad while reclining in bed or holding it while sitting down, in fact I don't use it much propped up or laying down. In this case would the 12.9 get in the way? Is it too heavy to hold in situations like this. Also, I don't take my iPad out too often but I could see the size of the 12.9 causing me not to bring it places. For those who own the 12.9, what is your opinion on these things? Would it be worth it just for the more basic stuff I do on my iPad?
    Thanks,
    JerTheGeek

2. bensisko macrumors 65816

Value is very hard to determine.

Example: When I first got my 12.9", I was very frustrated because, without the Apple Pencil it was "just a big iPad". For me, the Pencil was the entire reason for getting it. After finally getting the pencil, I started to appreciate the 12.9" for what it was - a fantastic iPad.

Per your question, the stuff you do is ABSOLUTELY more immersive and better on the larger screen. After the 12.9, browsing on the 9.7 seems cramped.

If the question is "is it noticeable", then the answer is "Yes, absolutely!" The worth/value part is up to you. If you have an Air 2 and you're not planning on doing anything more with 12.9 then you are with the Air, your experience will be better, but I can't tell you if it's $$$ better.

As for weight - if you don't plan on taking it out with you then don't worry about weight. It is noticably heavier than the Air 2, but not too much. I use the Pro laying in bed, on the couch or sitting outside and I don't have any issues.

For you, the two biggest things are a bigger screen and MUCH better speakers.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the input. I just wonder about the footprint. Is it so big that it's hard or awkward to hold? Or does the bigger screen make up for it?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It took me about a week to get used to it, but now I wouldn't want to go back to 9.7. Holding it is kind of like holding an open hard cover book. You obviously can't hold it up in the air too long, but even with the 9.7 I tend to rest it on my leg, so, in my case, it doesn't make a significant difference.

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That is basically my concern with the 12.9". I do a lot of my iPad usage holding it with two hands while reclining or sitting down. Maybe the 12.9 would be a bit much in these cases.

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

Personally, I don't think it's awkward to hold at all. If you're used to the smaller 9.7, it will take a week or two to get used to the size but then it just becomes another iPad. For me, the larger screen is totally worth it, especially when drawing (but I also use it for reading, video, and music - along with tons of other things).

From a mobile standpoint, it DID get too big for me to use as a daily carry - so I picked up the 9.7 Pro to take with me. I still use the 12.9 Pro around the house (or if I'm going somewhere specially to draw).

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The 12.9 will spend the majority of the time on a desk.

If that is not how you use it, then it's not for you.

8. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That definitely is what I was thinking. Holding it just doesnt seem ideal.

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

I disagree with that statement (as a general rule - that can certainly be a personal choice). You can certainly hold it without being on a desk or other surface.

10. The_Joker13 macrumors newbie

The_Joker13

Gotta disagree with you. I have the keyboard case and I do love it when I need it, but a majority of my use is without it. It took some getting used to, but I will never go back to the 9.7. JMO.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another vote for disagree. The majority of the time, I use the 12.9 on my lap, resting against my legs. I hardly ever use it at a desk.

12. bufffilm, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I said "desktop use" is the -majority- of the time...you two do know what that, don't you?

I never said there weren't some that may use theirs on their lap (or elsewhere).

Go ahead and run a poll if you don't believe me.

13. bensisko macrumors 65816

If you are speaking from personal experience, then try affixing personal descriptors, such as "Personally, my Pro spends the majority of it's time on the desk" or "I use my Pro on the desk the majority of time".

If you are trying to speak for ALL 12.9 Pro users... You're clearly incorrect. Some do, some don't - it's a matter of personal use and taste. PERSONALLY speaking, I almost NEVER used my iPad Pro on the desk - I was always holding (for drawing, reading, working on PowerPoints, browsing the web, watching movies, etc.). In fact, just about the ONLY time it sat on my desk is when I was using it to play music (in which case I was doing something else).

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's not what you said. You said "If that (use at desk) is not how you use it, then it's not for you." Meaning anyone who is not planning to use the 12.9 at a desk shouldn't get it.

I have no idea which kind of use -- at desk or away from desk -- is more popular, and that is irrelevant. Even if only 1 in 10 people use it away from the desk, the fact remains that for those people, it works. So when someone asks if it's possible to use the 12.9 away from the desk, the answer is, it varies from individual to individual, you should try it and see if it works for you.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You're right - my later reply doesn't tie in with my first post in this thread.

Mea culpea.

16. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I use mine for watching TV in bed sometimes. I carry it around the house and sit on the couch with it. The screen is awesome and after using it I don't think I will get a normal sized iPad again anytime soon. It weighs something like 3 pounds with a full case on it, so I can't see why the weight would be a problem carrying it, using it in bed, or while sitting in a chair or couch.

17. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I tried out the iPad Pro 12.9" at the Apple Store today. It certainly was light for its size, and I could see myself holding it up in bed without a problem; however, I think it may be hard to just sit down and hold and use it. When using my iPad I often have to briefly hold it in one hand while using the other hand to tap something on the screen or scroll, etc. With the 12.9 I think this would just be too hard and uncomfortable. Thumb typing in portrait could be an annoying issue as well I think. And just carrying it around from place to place in the house, and especially carrying it out and about, would be a bit awkward.
    My overall impression of the 12.9" is that it does seem great for watching my sports and reading/browsing, but the screen size would just kinda be a novelty for me, a novelty which I think would wear off quickly as I started to actually use it.

18. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Typing in portrait has been one of my few gripes with the ipad pro 12.9. I cannot for the life of me understand why they got rid of the split screen keyboard. I think its because the really want people to use the ipad mostly in landscape for typing because when they do and use the keyboard, the realize that the keyboard is virtually the same as a laptop's snd thusly the consumer will think of the ipad as more of a laptop replacement.

In any event, I will say that I don't find the ipad pro uncomfortable to hold at all. In fact, I am very impressed with its weight given the size. I will also say that while the extra screen might feel like novelty at first, after the first week or two, I found it to be rather indispensable. For reading and note-taking, it is a huge boost. And even using it for standard stuff like browsing the web, I have begun to love the split screen interface. I can keep a small apple music window open while I browse, I can keep notes open while I find an image to drop in on google. It's all very handy stuff.

Oh and as far as screen size, the landscape keyboard absolutely destroys the ipad 9.7. Typing on the 12.9 on-screen is a joy. I have decided to pass on buying an external keyboard because I find that typing is very easy on it. The 9.7 keyboard was to crammed together for me to allow for fast and accurate typing. The use of the on-screen keyboard trackpad makes editing very easy too.

The 12.9 is far and above my favorite computing and entertainment device.

19. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Trust me, the Smart Keyboard makes a huge difference. I really don't think the iPad Pro 12.9 makes sense as a handheld tablet.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use my 12.9 Pro without the Smart Keyboard. I don't exactly hold it by hand -- I rest it on my legs. But that's also how I tend to use my 9.7 iPads, too. I think the only iPad that makes sense to hold by hand for an extended period of time is the mini.

21. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

For the first time since launch, i am considering getting one of the keyboards. It seems that even using it for better ergonomics might be worth the price to me.

I certainly agree with everyone else that this is not meant to be handheld for long periods of time.

22. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Which is why I will stick with my 9.7" :D

23. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Meh, honestly, i found myself using my ipad air mostly in my lap and while i definitely held it in my hands from time to time, it was only for a short period. I have found that my physical usage of the ipad pro is about the same and it isn't much more uncomfortable.

Having said that, i can see how some might feel it is cumbersome. Good thing they have different size models i guess.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am seldom holding my larger iPad while using it. It serves as my Internet device next to the Lazyboy and I have no regrets for buying it just for the size of the screen. It is awesome. I also have a 9.7 for field/work use.