iPad Pro 12.9 Keyboard options

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gui0312, Jan 6, 2017.

1. gui0312, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

Hi,

I have an iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard and while it types ok, I wanted to see if there was something better.

I checked out that Razer Mechanical but the high clicking sound it generates plus its bulk isn't going to work for me.

Things I would like: Compact, a holder for the Apple Pencil, a better viewing angle (the Smart Keyboard I feel drops to far back) and if possible back-lit keys. I have also seen a couple of people using the new magic keyboard, which from what I understand the keys are similar to the 12"MacBook/MBP 2016 in travel. I wouldn't put that out of the equation even though it would constitute separate devices.

Thanks!

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I use the Brydge keyboard and really like it. No place to put the pencil, but I don't think any keyboard exists that allows for that. The Brydge allows you to adjust the angle of the screen, and the keyboard is very similar to the previous generation MacBook Pro.

The only thing I would wish for is that it used the smart connector or used a lightning cable to charge instead of micro USB. But the good thing is that a charge lasts for a month or more depending on how often you use the backlight.

3. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I use magic keyboard and love it! I have a small 13" tablet bag that fits the IPP and the keyboard, plus accessories. Usually I use the on screen keyboard for simple things, but if I am typing a lot more I use the magic keyboard and I can type faster than even on my MBP. The magic keyboard is the same one that comes with iMac.

4. AndyJoeshow macrumors newbie

I can't speak for the other ones, but the ASK for me is the best of what is out there. The Logitech version, while including function keys which is nice, is huge and adds a lot of bulk to the ipad. The only other thing I've used is an apple magic keyboard that I keep on the desk and use it from time to time. But I consistently go back to the ASK for how well it just works without adding bulk.

5. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

I am over a year into ownership on my iPad Pro, and I am still using the SmartKeyboard & Silicone back combo. I opted for the Logitech Keyboard right off the bat after buying my iPad Pro, simply because it had more of the traditional feel to my MacBook Pro keyboard. Not to mention, the extra row of function keys and the backlit keyboard were huge bonuses for me. Definitely added some bonus bulk, but I was able to look past that. I ended up going through 2 Logitech keyboards though due to faulty backlit keys right out of the box when they arrived. It was a terrible ordeal as well in regards to getting my refund back from Logitech. It took almost 2 months to see the refund applied back to my CC. That's when I decided to go with the complete Apple setup. The biggest complaint I'd say is pricing, once you throw in another $80.00 or so for the silicone back piece. Totally optional accessory though. As far as typing is concerned, I actually really like it. Thought for sure I would hate it once I opened up the box and saw the lack of travel room in between the keys, but it truly is for me at least a dream to type on once I got a little comfortable with it. The Smart Connector is another huge bonus for me. Between my wife & I, we have enough things to charge on a nightly/weekly basis. Another plus for me is that it just simply detaches if I want to just lay in bed and browse, without the need to do any extensive typing. I will say though, I really wish it had the row of function keys. The backlit keys aren't really a huge ordeal, but the extra row of keys can go along way for simple tasks. At the end of the day though, I am happy with the decision I made, it's just a shame that there really aren't a whole range of options to choose from in regards to keyboards for iPad Pro, especially ones that utilize the Smart Connector. If I'm not mistaken, I have only seen that utilized on the Logitech & Apple Keyboards. I aploligize if this became boring to read, but I hope it helped.

6. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

Which iPad Pro do you have, larger or smaller? The Logitech create for the 9.7 has a place for the Apple Pencil. The 12.9 one does not.