Ipad pro 12 inch versus 9 inch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Luis Ortega, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Why does the smaller ipad pro have better specs than the larger one?
    What benefit besides screen size does the 12 inch version offer?

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

Hello Luis, this was discussed a couple times for sure. The 12.9" version got introduced much earlier than the smaller one. One of the main differences is that the bigger one has 4 GB RAM, the smaller one has 2.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It doesn't. It has True tone which is a meh feature at best. It has 2gb of ram versus 4gb of the 12.9. The 12.9 also has faster usb transfer speeds. The camera is better on the 9.7 but who the hell would hold up a 12.9 inch iPad to take video/photos?

4. FeliApple macrumors 6502

The question you have to ask yourself in my opinion is what size do you prefer. The advantages/disadvantages are minimal.

5. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I thought the true tone feature on the 9.7 pro was just a gimmick, but after using it for over a month, I think it makes a big difference. The screen on 9.7 pro is less reflective, brighter and has a wider colour gamete than the larger 12.9 iPad. I do wish the 9.7 pro had 4gb of ram.

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

I switched from the 12.9 to 9.7 during one of the sales and am surprisingly happier for it.

I pretty much stopped using the 12.9 like a tablet, and figured the 9.7 would be too small for taking notes/sheet music purposes.

But nope! It's working those tasks pretty well, and the gain in portability greatly outweighs any of the negatives.

TrueTone is very nice too, and having had both devices side by side - the display on the 9.7 is noticeably better.

7. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I imagine that the next version of the 12.9 will have the same or better specs than the next version of the 9.7?

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm of the opinion that there WON'T be an updated 12.9 Pro announced in March/April.

The 12.9 iPP serves a different audience than the 9.7 iPP crowd. The 12.9 iPP wasn't intended to serve as a general purpose tablet and so some of those things like True Tone and higher resolution camera are not critical to introduce now. They can wait until Oct/Nov (or later).

9. PrettyWings macrumors regular

You're saying there will be an updated 12.9 in October? Why not now?

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Just my opinion but the current 12.9 iPP is head and shoulders above all other iPads that are currently available. (of course those who want True Tone and a wider color gamut would disagree) There is little reason for Apple to further advance the 12.9 beyond where it already is without associated advancements in iOS.

11. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

When your iPhone is at the far end of the house and your DSLR is in the basement, having a 12MP camera handy for when a cat is doing something cute is worthwhile, I would. Especially when said cat has cancer and every day is a gift.

Heck, Friday morning I was up too early and one of the other cats was near me and I wanted their photo. The iPhone was behind said cat and grabbing it would destroy the mood. Took iPad up from keyboard stand and grabbed the photo. Sadly it is an older iPad Air and I really hate the camera but for getting memories it is okay.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It is just as possible that your iPad w/12MP camera could've been the device that was at the far end of the house. o_O

This is why these things are highly subjective. While that scenario is something that you experienced, for the rest of us it is such a rare occurrence (if it would happen at all) that making a purchasing decision based on an outlier like that is not wise.

13. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Yes, BTDT and lost the photo. Generally though when I come home the phone goes in the bedroom and I pick up the iPad for surfing and email.

Again, as you said on another thread, personal preferences. Also the 9.7 form factor is what fits my needs better than the 12.9. Then again I'm not a graphic artists and am not concerned with the larger screen size.