Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have been case shopping for both an iPad Pro 13" (M4) Case and iPad Air 11" (M2) today's new ones.

I have always had good luck and no complaints with Otterbox cases.

There are none available at the Otterbox site nor amazon right now. They are available at apple.com AND not sure why, but $30 cheaper than what Otterbox is showing as out of stock/not available yet on their website.

moptart

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I have been case shopping for both an iPad Pro 13" (M4) Case and iPad Air 11" (M2) today's new ones.

There are none available at the Otterbox site nor amazon right now. They are available at apple.com AND not sure why, but $30 cheaper than what Otterbox is showing as out of stock/not available yet on their website.
I purchased an OtterBox case for the iPad Pro 11 M4 this morning. Keep checking.. I looked on OtterBox website first and then I came back to Apple and it was there and for less money.

moptart

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks Moptart that is what I was trying to say (bad grammar on my part). The Apple site has them and sells them cheaper than what Otterbox shows for their (OOS) prices. I have never seen Apple as the cheaper alternative. Might be on purpose, might be a mistake, might be at SRP at Otterbox just to give other retailers a chance to sell cheaper. I am happy buying from Apple, no shipping charge, fair price, simple no-hassle returns if needed, and will be here this Thursday a week before my iPad(s) show up on the 15th. 👍

Reactions: moptart

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I’m having no luck in finding one I like. This one I’d buy but the description is not clear if this is truly for the new 13” iPad.

ESR for iPad Pro 13 Case (2024), iPad Pro 13 Inch Case with Pencil Holder, Removable Magnetic Cover, Vertical Stand, Fully Supports Pencil 2/USB-C, Rebound 360 Series, Black https://www.amazon.com/ESR-iPad-12-9-Rebound-Black/dp/B0CSSQ57D2

Hi Vidpro,

I looked at that one too, same concerns. I also see some on amazon where they just added "2024" to their existing listing -- guarantees a world of pain. I have no problem paying less (much less....) for a case, it's just a case, I want it to be light and functional with the right cutouts for the cameras and buttons. I don't want to beta test as this shakes out over the next several weeks.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Hi Vidpro,

I looked at that one too, same concerns. I also see some on amazon where they just added "2024" to their existing listing -- guarantees a world of pain. I have no problem paying less (much less....) for a case, it's just a case, I want it to be light and functional with the right cutouts for the cameras and buttons. I don't want to beta test as this shakes out over the next several weeks.
I sent the store a message on Amazon. I'll report back what they tell me.

Tiber3m

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I purchased an OtterBox case for the iPad Pro 11 M4 this morning. Keep checking.. I looked on OtterBox website first and then I came back to Apple and it was there and for less money.
I cannot figure out two things about the Otterbox case. 1) does the Pencil holder allow for wireless charging, & 2) is the multi-angle stand feature magnetic, i.e. how does the stand maintain its position? I have been spoiled by Zugu, but there are very few options for the new iPads, yet.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019

This is exactly what im waiting for but not with that extra fold in the back. I dont know why but i hate that.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I’m having no luck in finding one I like. This one I’d buy but the description is not clear if this is truly for the new 13” iPad.

ESR for iPad Pro 13 Case (2024), iPad Pro 13 Inch Case with Pencil Holder, Removable Magnetic Cover, Vertical Stand, Fully Supports Pencil 2/USB-C, Rebound 360 Series, Black https://www.amazon.com/ESR-iPad-12-9-Rebound-Black/dp/B0CSSQ57D2
Yeah I saw this and I ordered one.
Might return as I have the feeling it’s going to be really bulky.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
This is what the seller said on Amazon.

"The case you are asking about is compatible with iPad Pro 12.9 (2024)".

The Amazon add they says...

ESR for iPad Pro 13 Inch Case (2024)​

So who knows? Communication skills are not what they used to be. I feel like I was just told but this one goes to 11.

Last edited:

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Apple has delivered. I bought both the Apple version and the Otter version for an iPad Pro 13 and an iPad Air 11.

The Otterbox boxes have no identification at all about the model numbers the cases apply to. Nothing on any of the 6 sides of the box. Nothing in the slide out part that holds the case. I had to double check my order to make sure I ordered correctly. Also no mention of a Pencil Pro, just the Pencil 2. I expect that the Pencil Pro will be fine but a secret that the box printers did not need to know.

The Apple branded cases of course do have the brand new models that the case(s) fit. For the iPad Pro 13" it is only for this new model. The iPad Air 11 case is the same as the the iPad Air 10.9. Next week I will decide which two to return when the iPads arrive.

Here are pictures of the boxes. Their is some weird lighting effect for the Otterboxes. The flaps look grey in the pictures, but are black in real life. I included a picture of what I ordered -- they are all bley or grack depending on how you want to describe them...

The order of the pictures isn't what I wanted -- the captions are correct.

Attachments

• Case Order.png
    Case Order.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 63
  • iPad Air 11 Apple 1.jpeg
    iPad Air 11 Apple 1.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 67
  • iPad Air 11 Apple 2.jpeg
    iPad Air 11 Apple 2.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 60
  • iPad Air 11 Otter 1.jpeg
    iPad Air 11 Otter 1.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 66
  • iPad Air 11 Apple 3.jpeg
    iPad Air 11 Apple 3.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 66
  • iPad Air 11 Otter 2.jpeg
    iPad Air 11 Otter 2.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 68
  • iPad Pro 13 Apple 1.jpeg
    iPad Pro 13 Apple 1.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 60
  • iPad Pro 13 Apple 2.jpeg
    iPad Pro 13 Apple 2.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 60
  • iPad Pro 13 Otter 1.jpeg
    iPad Pro 13 Otter 1.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 70
  • iPad Pro 13 Otter 2.jpeg
    iPad Pro 13 Otter 2.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 64
  • iPad Pro 13 Apple 3.jpeg
    iPad Pro 13 Apple 3.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 61

Tiber3m

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I got my hands on the Otterbox Statement for M4 11”. Gotta admit that the marketing guys are good, but the product is not so impressive as the description is.

I am especially disappointed in the way the stand works. No magnets, no grooves. It is very stiff plastic and provides far fewer viewing angles than I had hoped for.

Also, it is not eligible for return to Apple.

Any advice about how best to handle things?

Do you think I can go the Apple Store and prevail upon them to refund the item, anyway?

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I got my hands on the Otterbox Statement for M4 11”. Gotta admit that the marketing guys are good, but the product is not so impressive as the description is.

I am especially disappointed in the way the stand works. No magnets, no grooves. It is very stiff plastic and provides far fewer viewing angles than I had hoped for.

Do you think I can go the Apple Store and prevail upon them to refund the item, anyway?

Ok, so I went wuhhh and back to my online order from the Apple website and sure enough both Otterboxes are showing not eligible. Called Apple, not a problem at all, the website can be wrong. The rep said you have at LEAST 14 days from receiving to make a return and even more since it was "online".

Were these to have been bought from an Apple Store in person the 14 days is firm but you can still return them.

I suggest you call them up and ask as well assuming you did indeed purchase from the Apple online store.

Let us know how it goes.

Tiber3m

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Ok, so I went wuhhh and back to my online order from the Apple website and sure enough both Otterboxes are showing not eligible. Called Apple, not a problem at all, the website can be wrong. The rep said you have at LEAST 14 days from receiving to make a return and even more since it was "online".

Were these to have been bought from an Apple Store in person the 14 days is firm but you can still return them.

I suggest you call them up and ask as well assuming you did indeed purchase from the Apple online store.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check into it and will let you know.

toptoptopper

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015

So what will you go for instead of the Otterbox? There are such few options out there currently and I’m eager to have a case on my iPad Pro 13 from Day 1.

I’ve pre-ordered the Otterbox to pick up along with the iPad at an Apple Store tomorrow, but I’m also quite eager to look at the Logitech Combo that has a detachable keyboard. I’ve also got a fairly basic ESR case turning up from Amazon today (their Shift case turned up yesterday but I’m promptly returning as it weighed about 750g!!!)

Reactions: asleep

Tiber3m

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
So what will you go for instead of the Otterbox? There are such few options out there currently and I’m eager to have a case on my iPad Pro 13 from Day 1.

I’ve pre-ordered the Otterbox to pick up along with the iPad at an Apple Store tomorrow, but I’m also quite eager to look at the Logitech Combo that has a detachable keyboard. I’ve also got a fairly basic ESR case turning up from Amazon today (their Shift case turned up yesterday but I’m promptly returning as it weighed about 750g!!!)
Frankly, you make an excellent point about options to the Otterbox. At the moment they are slim. It may be that I will have to use the Otterbox until serious competition is available & the sell online — That or just get a cheap case that provides some protection, at least. I’ll make a firm decision when the new iPad Pro arrives to see how it actually plays with the Otterbox.

toptoptopper

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Frankly, you make an excellent point about options to the Otterbox. At the moment they are slim. It may be that I will have to use the Otterbox until serious competition is available & the sell online — That or just get a cheap case that provides some protection, at least. I’ll make a firm decision when the new iPad Pro arrives to see how it actually plays with the Otterbox.
I had a look at the Otterbox and the Logitech Combi in the Apple Store today when picking up my iPad. My feelings were that the Otterbox was absolutely not worth the price and the Combi, although really nice, was just a bit too heavy for everyday use. I ended up going with an ESR Rebound 360 off Amazon and I’m actually really impressed. Well priced too.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
This is what the seller said on Amazon.

"The case you are asking about is compatible with iPad Pro 12.9 (2024)".

The Amazon add they says...

ESR for iPad Pro 13 Inch Case (2024)​

So who knows? Communication skills are not what they used to be. I feel like I was just told but this one goes to 11.
I purchased the ESR case and screen protector specifically stated for the ipad pro 13 inch and what I received was labeled as being for the 12.9 ipad pro. Am pretty sure that they will not fit so will be returning and not be buying any ESR products again.

Reactions: asleep

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I’ve also got a fairly basic ESR case turning up from Amazon today (their Shift case turned up yesterday but I’m promptly returning as it weighed about 750g!!!)
Can you post a picture of the ESR inner tray that you snap the iPad into?

I’m wondering if that’s a short term solution for me.

toptoptopper

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
I don’t have the iPad with me at the moment, but despite the sticker saying 12.9 it does also say 2024 and customer services reassured me that it is the correct spec. When I installed it earlier it was absolutely the right measurements - no surplus depth. It’s actually a surprisingly well made case.

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
My humble review: I am keeping the Apple branded ones and sending back the Otterboxes. At first I was ticked off at the Apple ones trying to get it not collapse and fold over and also be at a suitable angle for my most important app (Angry Birds ;-) ). I finally looked at the box and online, magnets!

Less case material for me means lighter and that is what I am looking for...

P.S. Off-topic: The nano textured screen suffers from NO lack of crispness or exhibits fuzziness, it is as bright as I need (brighter I am sure). No weirdness using fingers to control the GUI, all if fine and then some.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.