iPad Pro 2017 2nd Generation Leather Smart Cover marks iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by retrouk, Jul 29, 2017.

1. retrouk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I recently bought the new iPad Pro 10.5 and the official Apple Leather Smart cover with it. Unfortunately the Smart cover was no good at all as it just marked the iPad and left a long indentation line. I raised this with Apple UK who told me that the Smart cover must have a manufacturing defect and to send both the iPad and the case back for a full refund. Having spoken to Apple UK technical support with regards to this today, I was told that they were unaware of this issue and have raised a case to investigate this further. I did say that the Web is full of different forums mentioning this same issue. Having said that I did visit my local Apple store today and one of the staff members was using an iPad Pro 10.5 with the cheaper non leather Smart cover and the Smart cover was leaving no marks on the iPad. I'm just now wondering if there is a manufacturing defect with just the leather version and the non leather Smart cover is fine and does not have this issue. Would be very grateful for any help and advice with regards to this. Thanks :)

2. Adamj53 macrumors member

Where did it mark the iPad? Been using the Leather Smart Cover on mine since launch and its perfect, can't see how it could damage the iPad to be honest.

3. retrouk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Adamj53, nice to meet you. It left a line on the iPad at a particular point where the cover was touching the screen. It was just like a long indentation mark. Good to hear that your Smart Cover is not leaving any marks on your iPad :)

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

How can a piece of felt "indent" a glass screen? Do you have pictures?

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

Wait - are you talking about on the glass?

The faint marks on the screen smart covers have been leaving since..the iPad 2 (first one I had)?

If so - it's a non-issue, just wipe the screen and it goes away.

6. retrouk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. Perhaps I have not described the issue correctly. Apologies for that. The leather Smart cover left a line of marks at a certain point on the iPad screen. It's just at a certain point where the cover touches the screen. I think the marks would just wipe off, however my point is that should the cover be doing that and why is the cover doing that. As previously mentioned I saw yesterday the iPad Pro 10.5 with the non leather cover in the Apple store and no marks whatsoever on the iPad screen from the smart cover. My concern is over time could those constant marks eventually damage the screen?

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

They all do this. Every iPad with a Smart Cover has done this.

It's really just the ridges in the Smart Cover, I guess felt or something accumulates there and gets on the screen. You just wipe it off.

8. retrouk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi David
    Hi David58117, thanks for your reply. I think though for the money it costs, I will give it a miss when I order the 12.9 iPad and look for an alternative !

9. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Every cover, Apple or third party, will leave the smudge line (whatever you wanna call it). Every case that has the folds will have it, all it is, is where the case is not cleaning the screen when you open and close it. iPads are finger print and smudge magnets. You need to wipe them down yourself. Every case and cover has been doing this since the iPad 2 when the magnets were introduced which allowed covers.

10. ZipZap macrumors 603

An oil or something in the material seems to be left on the glass. Seen this many times. Not a defect. Keep a micro-fibre cloth with you.

11. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

No, its basically the opposite of what you are saying. The case isn't leaving the oil or the smudge, it is the fact that it is the crease in the case that is not allowing the cloth on the inside of the case to touch and clean up the screen. Every other part of the screen that touches that inner cloth gets a small rub down, cleaning it slightly.

12. David58117 macrumors 65816

Yep, this is my experience as well.

It's kind of like a line of dirt that develops at the edges as you're sweeping the floor. The line is just grime that was on the screen.

13. ZipZap macrumors 603

Guess I dont agree that the cover is intended as as screen cleaner. Given that is really does not move. If the case was a slip case, I would think otherwise.

14. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I totally agree, I am just telling you how it is marketed.