Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I honestly wanted to start this thread to ask people their thoughts from where the 2018 IPP was When it launched. To how they use it and how it’s changed for them over the last year. I personally have had the first two generations of the 12.9 but it never really left the house, then on Gen 3 it goes with me everywhere not only because of cellular but also because it’s more portable. I feel like I have everything at my fingertips, I use it for media consumption, Photoshop and it’s other apps picture editing, just recently started using video editing with iMovie and LumaFusion which I used to do on a 15 inch MacBook Pro back in 2015 and have since then used it on my iPad Pro series, I Also play all of my Apple arcade games on it. also having an iPhone 11 use continuity many times over between that and my Apple Watch. I know everybody’s different. And I’d love to let everybody give their own personal experiences and opinions I think we can all enjoy to read. Thank you everybody for your participation and hope for many more years of the Apple iPad Pro series and happy new year to you all. I forgot to say that I also have the second and first generation Apple Pencil that I use to doodle and help all of the above I’m not an artist.

Reactions: B.A.T and ruslan120

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I honestly wanted to start this thread to ask people their thoughts from where the 2018 IPP was When it launched. To how they use it and how it’s changed for them over the last year. I personally have had the first two generations of the 12.9 but it never really left the house, then on Gen 3 it goes with me everywhere not only because of cellular but also because it’s more portable. I feel like I have everything at my fingertips, I use it for media consumption, Photoshop and it’s other apps picture editing, just recently started using video editing with iMovie and LumaFusion which I used to do on a 15 inch MacBook Pro back in 2015 and have since then used it on my iPad Pro series, I Also play all of my Apple arcade games on it. also having an iPhone 11 use continuity many times over between that and my Apple Watch. I know everybody’s different. And I’d love to let everybody give their own personal experiences and opinions I think we can all enjoy to read. Thank you everybody for your participation and hope for many more years of the Apple iPad Pro series and happy new year to you all. I forgot to say that I also have the second and first generation Apple Pencil that I use to doodle and help all of the above I’m not an artist.
I still love mine like crazy. I've not had too many problems after a year.

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
I moved to IPP 12.9 Gen3 for the general specs upgrade. I had the previous 12.9. If they release a bigger version I will skip it. This size is fine. My only problem is the 13.x Mail program open in 3 panels. It used to be 2.

Mine was recently dropped and cracked the screen. It worked fine. But not knowing how long it would continue to work I got another one using the 2 hour delivery. ?

The repair of the broken one was $438 at a 3rd party. It took 3 replacement screens to get a good one. ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
IMy only problem is the 13.x Mail program open in 3 panels. It used to be 2.
Pretty sure the 3-panel option has been available on the 12.9" iPads at since iOS 10 at least. There's a toggle on the upper left corner to switch between 2- and 3-panel.

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
Pretty sure the 3-panel option has been available on the 12.9" iPads at since iOS 10 at least. There's a toggle on the upper left corner to switch between 2- and 3-panel.
Previous version opened in the format it was shutdown in. New version always opens in 3 panel view.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

I bought it, hated it, and returned it a week later. Much happier with my previous generation 10.5 that I went back to.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve had my 11” pro right at a year, and though I was toying with selling it just to minimize devices, and use my iMac and phone more, I talked myself out of that pretty quickly.

I use my iPad daily. I still don’t take it away from the house much because the basics are available on my phone, but I do take it any time I travel, or if I have meetings with clients, etc.

I definitely don’t get the most out of it I could, basically because I don’t have a need, but I do love it, and have had zero issues with it from day 1.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I went from the Air 2 to the 10.5 Pro to the 2018 12.9 Pro. I kept the 10.5 but it never sees any use as I like the 12.9 so much. No problems with it, size has not been a problem; I don't think I'd buy a smaller iPad again.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I went from the Air 2 to the 10.5 Pro to the 2018 12.9 Pro. I kept the 10.5 but it never sees any use as I like the 12.9 so much. No problems with it, size has not been a problem; I don't think I'd buy a smaller iPad again.
I thought the exact same thing when I got the first Gen 12.9 and then when 3rd gen came out and couldn’t get hands on it and went down to 11 I have no regrets I feel like it’s more portable Yet the 12.9 is much less of a footprint now If I can on the next GEN I will go back up

Reactions: max2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I thought the exact same thing when I got the first Gen 12.9 and then when 3rd gen came out and couldn’t get hands on it and went down to 11 I have no regrets I feel like it’s more portable Yet the 12.9 is much less of a footprint now If I can on the next GEN I will go back up

Yeah, the smaller bezels on the 3rd gen 12.9 were the game changer for me. My brother has the older model and I don't care for it.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Bought a 6th gen iPad and 3rd gen IPP at the same time last November. Haven’t used paper (other than to print out game manuals) since then. Apple Pencil all the way.

Considering buying a 7th gem iPad b/c of bigger screen and definitely buying a new IPP when it comes out.

Can’t draw worth squat but I have procreate, etc just to mess around with. My drawings look like primitive cave art. Handwriting on iPad is just as bad as it was on physical paper.

Tom

Reactions: el beisbol

jameseld82

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
London Uk
Bought my IPP 11 in April last year and I absolutely love it.

For me it's main use is for media when on a plane or when I'm travelling for work.

But I do also do light work on it but I admit I don't use the iPad to it's potential. I'm the same Ssledoux where I definitely don't get as much out of it as I could but I just love using the pro even though really an iPad Air 3 is probably more suited to my needs.

I just love how quick and easy it is to use. No issues with the tablet, it never lets me down.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
My 11” pro I’ve had since Dec 18 is hands down the best iPad I have ever owned, and I have had them all except the current 12.9 or the new air and 7th gen.
No light bleed, white spot, or red/magenta screen. Perfect.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I just bought an 11" iPP last week and I am loving it. I particularly love Sidecar in Catalina which allows me to use the iPP just for tools I use for work done on my 27" iMac.

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I bought the 11” in November 2018 during Verizon’s Black Friday sale. I use it for work mostly, check email and take notes, it has been great! I also mounted it for our GPS navigation on the way to Florida the last two years and it’s great.

Because I’m an addict, I bought the 12.9” in January 2019. It has basically replaced my MacBook. I use it for my financial program, my personal email and I watch it while I’m on the treadmill in the morning.

I am happy with both models, and I feel like there is a lot I don’t use on them, but I have had no issues with either.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I bought an iPad Pro 11 last year. Returned it. The overlap in features and function between 2017 and 2018 Pros was so high that the upgrade felt like a waste of money.

A year later and I bought the same Pro 11 for my wife but at nearly half the price. USBC drives and gigantic discounts made it worth the wait. I’m considering upgrading my 2017 still but to be honest this is still overpowered enough to last another 2 years.

Last edited:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
If they get rid of the rounded screen corners and add a biometric unlock system that works in any device position (like having it laid flat on a table) then I'd buy it. Until then, no chance. I bought an 11 inch and used it for a week before returning it to go back to my 10.5.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Will certainly get the 11 inch when it’s out will go well with my pro max and MacBook Air combo...

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Love the IPP. Use it daily for the usual like Watching TV/Movies/Youtube, Web Browsing, Emailing, Work, Photo editing, file management. My only gripe is the lack of a great keyboard - the ASK is still the best as others are bulky and heavy.

pancakesrockyvalley

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Reykjavik
I use my IPP 12.9" daily, i use it mostly for class to take notes and to do homework. I managed to bend it a little bit in one corner when i took it out of the case but it is barely noticeable and does not appear to have had any effect.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I bought one a few days ago, it was yellow without True Tone. I also felt like it was just too thin. Yep, I had a bent iPhone 6. Was not about to repeat my expensive mistake. So I sent it back the next day.

Got myself a first gen and I'm very happy with it. I just wanted a bigger screen for shows, this definitely saved me about $850 .

I get some people like thin and no bezel but dongles. I like my headphone jack. For $1200 + about $50 in dongles? Pass.

Plus I will always like Touch ID.

Reactions: motulist

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I bought one a few days ago, it was yellow without True Tone. I also felt like it was just too thin. Yep, I had a bent iPhone 6. Was not about to repeat my expensive mistake. So I sent it back the next day.

Got myself a first gen and I'm very happy with it. I just wanted a bigger screen for shows, this definitely saved me about $850 .

I get some people like thin and no bezel but dongles. I like my headphone jack. For $1200 + about $50 in dongles? Pass.

Plus I will always like Touch ID.

lol, you ain’t going to bend it using it for shows unless you have super powers :)

My 2 complaints are you can’t use apple ear plugs with out buying a adapter, and the anker one which is All I can find here is ridiculous like $80. AirPods don’t suit me.

And FID is not as good as on iPhone pro, damn camera where it is gets covered by the hand easily, not a bad idea but I would of got 2nd gen 12.9 I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Septembersrain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.