Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Only 4GB?

You know, as much as Apple may want to push the idea that an iPad is a legitimate computer replacement, there’s a reason why they still sell Macs.

That is to say, if the iPad Pro is still underpowered for you, you probably just need more than an iPad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow. I'm a bit surprised they fragmented like that. They should have bumped them all up to 6gb; but since they didn't it's not a bad bonus if one does happen to purchase the 1tb model I guess.
Since the 1TB is a $400 premium over the next storage down, I don't exactly consider it a bonus. More like something that makes the price premium slightly more palatable.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Can't say the 6gb on 1tb vs 4gb on the rest sits well with me, but then again, all I'd be doing with the iPad is schedule calendar, note taking, and light browsing & casual gaming.

Reactions: Raist3001

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Where is the proof that the 1TB has 6Gb and the others have only 4Gb? Bolded below for closer inspection.

“Using Xcode, developer Steve Troughton-Smith has discovered that the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with 1TB of storage have 6GB of RAM, compared to 4GB for previous generation iPad Pros.”

He didn’t get to test the 3rd Generation models with lesser storage.

recurrence

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
The comments further down that twitter thread point out that multiple people are saying the smaller disk iPads have 4GB

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Where is the proof that the 1TB has 6Gb and the others have only 4Gb? Bolded below for closer inspection.

“Using Xcode, developer Steve Troughton-Smith has discovered that the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with 1TB of storage have 6GB of RAM, compared to 4GB for previous generation iPad Pros.”

Though the article does state "For any storage capacity below 1TB, including 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB, each iPad Pro model retains the previous generation's 4GB of RAM." But i would like to see the evidence of this too.

Reactions: afir93

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL

It will be interesting to see if someone can test any other models

illo4325

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Since the 1TB is a $400 premium over the next storage down, I don't exactly consider it a bonus. More like something that makes the price premium slightly more palatable.
Well said. That's what I was trying to get at, but I should have worded it differently.

lechien

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
That's a bit frustrating because they are not the same iPad at 4GB and 6GB. So really we have 4 new models advertised as 2... I would probably have spent extra for the 6GB model but 64GB of storage is enough for my use case...

Reactions: kanon14

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Though the article does state "For any storage capacity below 1TB, including 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB, each iPad Pro model retains the previous generation's 4GB of RAM." But i would like to see the evidence of this too.
Well he was showing 6GB in Xcode but then he said other people were telling him the 4GB thing. That is confusing. Who are the other people? Usually he deals in facts from code leaks, not rumors. Very strange. Perhaps Apple PR setting expectations or reviewers reaching out to him anonymously? You know they handed them out today because the reviews will probably be up soon with it launching so quickly in a week. Very odd either way.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
surprising but I feel my current pro works ok with 4GB...guess depends how much you use certain tasks for it

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013

Well said. That's what I was trying to get at, but I should have worded it differently.

No, this logic does not make sense. Just for a sec lets assume the only difference is SSD space and do the math in $/GB on the memory upgrades, OK? It works out to a constant $1.28 per GB in all upgrade situations. The cost goes up exponentially to match the exponential memory increase. I am VERY skeptical Apple would cut their profit margin, absorbing the extra RAM cost, without passing it along to the consumer in this so-far-rumored "only 1TB models have 6GB" claim.

Hence, I will remain skeptical until the hardware tear-downs confirm this. None of the articles so far point to any evidence of there being a RAM difference between models aside from people on Twitter just claiming it.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
No sense in this if Apple still does not let me transfer files to/back to the iPad

Cos without this how am I supposed to use all that RAM for any work?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
No sense in this if Apple still does not let me transfer files to/back to the iPad
Not sure what you are looking for but I can do this three different ways:

• iCloud
  • iTunes
  • Some apps can be linked to as a remote drive
Plenty of options for my use cases.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
I think it would be very strange for iPads to have different memory configurations as the memory is part of the A12X. They would have to manufacture a completely different chip. Although they do make 2 different A12s. XR gets a 3gb A12 and XS get 4gb so perhaps it is true but the 1TB iPad is going to be a very low volume part compared to the XR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.