Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

Looking for WiFi plus Cellular. 11 Inch. Both Verizon and Apple offer similar trade in options. Are there any advantages to ordering from Verizon or Apple? Not sure I will purchase outright or finance. Does Apple offer finance options?

Thanks

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Comment on Verizon iPads, eSIM is locked to Verizon and since Verizon doesn't support eSIM on iPads yet, it's essentially unusable.

Requesting unlock is useless since Verizon just tells you all their devices are unlocked (or automatically unlocked after 2 months). Technically true since the physical nano SIM slot is unlocked. However, even if you pop an unactivated T-Mobile SIM in there, you won't be able to sign up for non-Verizon plans (e.g. T-Mobile $10 5GB) directly from Settings - Cellular.

It will accept and work with SIM cards with already working plans.

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Hi

Looking for WiFi plus Cellular. 11 Inch. Both Verizon and Apple offer similar trade in options. Are there any advantages to ordering from Verizon or Apple? Not sure I will purchase outright or finance. Does Apple offer finance options?

Thanks

I always buy Direct from Apple-Better return policies, support.
When you buy from Verizon, att, etc they charge restocking fees, no tech support, limited returns.

It's much better for the consumer(that's me and you! :D :D) to buy from apple as your first choice!!

Good Luck!

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Comment on Verizon iPads, eSIM is locked to Verizon and since Verizon doesn't support eSIM on iPads yet, it's essentially unusable.

Requesting unlock is useless since Verizon just tells you all their devices are unlocked (or automatically unlocked after 2 months). Technically true since the physical nano SIM slot is unlocked. However, even if you pop an unactivated T-Mobile SIM in there, you won't be able to sign up for non-Verizon plans (e.g. T-Mobile $10 5GB) directly from Settings - Cellular.

It will accept and work with SIM cards with already working plans.

I don’t understand. Are you suggesting buying from Verizon or Appke?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Just warning of the drawbacks if buying from Verizon.

I also had an issue with Verizon where I got a discount when purchased with a phone. I paid for my iPad in full but since the phone was a preorder at the time they wouldn't ship the iPad.

Then the phone released and arrived.. no iPad. I called and they said the iPad was not in "paid status". But I had paid. After hours of back and forth and me demonstrating that I had paid them the $1000+ more than a month prior they admitted that they could see my payment but that it wasn't "applied to that order". In fact they couldn't even refund it because it wasn't associated with any order at all. Nor would they ship my iPad.

I finally returned my phone and did a credit card chargeback.

Reactions: IowaLynn

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd buy from Apple or Amazon. It's better to just get a physical Verizon Sim rather have them lock down the eSim. However, if you never plan to use another carrier it might not matter to you.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'd buy from Apple or Amazon. It's better to just get a physical Verizon Sim rather have them lock down the eSim. However, if you never plan to use another carrier it might not matter to you.
Technically, you still can. You just need to replace the physical SIM with another one that's already been activated and has working service.

Going through the "Settings - Cellular" menu offers some good value plans not available elsewhere, though, and in countries that support iPad eSIM, you won't need to hunt down local SIMs.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Help me to understand. If I purchase the iPad from Apple, how does the eSim get activated? Do I need a Verizon physical sim?
Is there any advantage to buying from Verizon? We have no immediate plans to leave Verizon. However, never say never. I would be upgrading an existing iPad already on Verizon.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Help me to understand. If I purchase the iPad from Apple, how does the eSim get activated? Do I need a Verizon physical sim?
You need to get a physical Verizon Nano SIM. Verizon doesn't support eSIM on iPads yet.

Is there any advantage to buying from Verizon? We have no immediate plans to leave Verizon. However, never say never. I would be upgrading an existing iPad already on Verizon.
Sometimes, Verizon offers $100-200 discounts with 24-mo, 0% APR installment plans. If you're fine never being able to use the eSIM on another carrier (or on Verizon), it might be worth doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.