iPad Pro/3 with LTE or H+?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SaMaster14, Aug 22, 2011.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Well, I have a 1st generation iPad and was looking to upgrade to what rumors call the iPad pro coming september (rumored) or the ipad3 coming April (rumored). (whatever it is I've heard rumors of two new iPads, one before the end of the year and one in 2012 at the usual iPad release time).

But, my main question is will either or both have LTE on Verizon and HSPA+ on AT&T?

I will most likely wait for the ipad3, but what are the new rumors like about the "pro" vs. the "3"? (I haven't been up to date with iPad rumors).

2. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

There will be no iPad 3 this year. I believe I read that Apple said this last week or the week before. I haven't read anything on whether it will be LTE or not. I still haven't seen any word on whether the iPhone 5 will have LTE or not. My guess is that neither will have LTE because Apple wants to wait until it is more widely available for them to do something. I'm no expert, so I might be wrong.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I think the 'Pro' version will include a built-in hair-dryer. It'll blow you away.

4. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. Verizon said that the iPhone5 definitely won't have LTE.

But, maybe the next iPad3 will, I assume that will be coming out closer to April, the usual date for an iPad upgrade (well, at least the iPad1 and iPad2 both came out in April, a year apart from each other if I'm not mistaken).

I knew there were rumors of a "pro" coming out before the years end, which the rumor said was definitely NOT the iPad3, but like a middle ground between the 2 and three 3 with a higher resolution display and a dual core or something, but that was again, just rumor and I personally didn't think it would happen.

So, I'll just wait on the iPad3. I feel like that will be a good upgrade from a first gen iPad.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just as an FYI, Apple has said nothing either way - that's not how they operate. A line of rumors has suggested that a new iPad would be coming this fall, another line has suggested otherwise. For anyone to rely on either as being reliable is a folly. There's no reason for Apple to shorten its product cycle for the iPad at this time.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Assuming that there will actually be an iPhone 5 in the fall, the biggest difficulty with LTE is the battery demand it imposes. With a wifi only iPad and a Verizon hotspot 4G modem I already have the equivalent (actually better than the equivalent) of a 4G LTE iPad. It works very well; my download speeds approach those of my cable modem when I'm in a 4G service area. The problem is that without power my battery life is about 4-5 hours.

Assuming that problem can be addressed with built-in 4G/LTE support in the iPad 3, I'd expect it to be available when the new model is released. But if the same battery penalty exists at that time (about 50%) I suspect Apple may be hesitant to introduce a new iPad with a 5-6 hour battery life.

BTW, while the 4G speed difference is noticeable, it is nowhere near what one would expect from test speeds in terms of a user experience. 4G/LTE speeds are as much as ten times faster than 3G but the subjective experience on the device is more like a 40-60% improvement in download speed.

7. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that info.
    And yes, LTE is a huge battery drainer. I don't have one of the LTE Droids, but I've only heard complaints about the battery.

What about the new ATT iPad? Will it be HSPA+ most likely?