Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Has anyone read/heard anything about the possibility of implementing 3D Touch minus haptics with the pressure sensitive Apple Pencil? I could see this working in the home screens and on certain parts of an App's UI. IDK, personally, I think it would be a good touch that doesn't seem to hard to enable on Apple's end of you have the iPad Pro device identifier and an Apple Pencil tapping on the screen.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
There are probably some technical changes with a screen that big. It also has special tech in the screen for the Apple Pencil that may make it more challenging.

On top of this, the 6s Plus is supply constrained so these screens may be hard to produce.

When the iPad gets 3D touch, it will *need* haptic feedback or I don't think the experience would be very good. This would require some redesign internally.

It has to be coming, but I would imagine the third generation is when we see it

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I wouldn't bet any money on it. 3D touch using the stylus, while it will work, is a niche on top of a niche, IMO. Not everyone's buying an iPad Pro, and not everyone buying a Pro will want the stylus. So it makes it such that if you want 3D touch, you need a Pro + Stylus, which is getting a little weird.

Technically possible, but I don't see it as how Apple does business.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I think OP is talking about implementing 3d touch through software, using the pressure sensitivity of the stylus. It might well do this, or it might well be something that could easily be done at a later date.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I think OP is talking about implementing 3d touch through software, using the pressure sensitivity of the stylus. It might well do this, or it might well be something that could easily be done at a later date.
You are completely right! That went way over my head :(.

I think it's technically possible, but then it moves away from their core beliefs about styli. It would become more of a necessity than an accessory.

There have been no rumors of Apple doing this system wide. I do think developers could do something similar in their own apps

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Yes. Tillsbury and Branskins had it right. I was thinking of a more software based approach. Something in the OS that recognizes the device as ipadpro and then using the sensitivity of the Pencil. But I guess you all are right. It would make the pencil a necessity vs accessory. Sigh...

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
It's hardly a necessity, 3d touch. At least, not for a few years yet. But it would be so easy to send the 3d-touch signals to the apps when a stylus is pressed harder, that I would almost be surprised if it doesn't do it from day one. Or at least soon after.

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The pencil itself could have haptic touch response (vibration et al.) and work with ALL the iPads if they wanted it to! Wouldn't be that difficult to design ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.