iPad Pro 9.7 and BrydgeAir Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gatorknight904, Apr 8, 2016.

1. gatorknight904, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016

gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

I have been using the Apple Smart Keyboard (ASK) for the 9.7 iPP. I am coming up on my 14 day return policy limit with the Apple Store later this week so I decided to give the BrydgeAir Keyboard (BAK) a try to compare. Is there is anyone out there using this combination I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Does your iPad Pro 9.7 slide around in the hinges? Mine does. I would have thought it would be a snugger fit. I can easily slide my iPad Pro from left to right and vice versa while it is docked in the hinges. Also, if i close the iPad and the keyboard together and hold them up vertically my iPad starts to slide down out of the two hinges.

2. Does it bother you not being able to access control center by swiping up from the the bottom?

I will say the iPad looks beautiful with this keyboard but the items above seem to be deal breakers for me. I do like the top row of shortcuts the BAK has. Also, I seem to miss the emoticon button on the BAK that the ASK has. I don't need the siri button since Siri is always on now. I wonder if they plan to make changes and release a pro keyboard since this was designed for the Air 2.

Thoughts?

I will be returning the BAK....and leaning towards keeping the $238 ASK + Apple Silicon Case Combo. I hate the limited viewing angles of the ASK but there is just nothing else out there right now that beats the feel smh.... The countdown continues...

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Do you have the right shims fitted for the iPad? I seem to remember hearing it shipped with ones for an older version attached and the right shims in the box.

3. gatorknight904 thread starter macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

Instructions say out of the box the shims are for the iPad Air 2 and to switch them if you have an older iPad.

4. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Good to hear that's been fixed, maybe tweet them and ask about the sliding?

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

One of the 5 reviews on Amazon mentions the same issue.

I've owned a number of these kind of keyboards, and they all seem to have one issue or another. The biggest seems to be durability - if you actually use them like a laptop day in and day out, they will probably only last a few months before they start to crack somewhere. Designing hinges that can take the stress of everyday use is something most of these companies don't seem to be up to the task of doing.

6. yngrshr macrumors regular

Curious if this will work with the Apple Silicone Case on it with the old Air 1 shims. There's what, a 1.5MM difference between the Pro and the original Air (with the Pro being smaller)? What does the Silicone Case add depth-wise to the pro?

It appears that the silicone case on my iPhone 6+ adds roughly 2MM to the overall width, but 1) I'm not sure that's accurate and 2) I'm not sure if the iPad case adds more or less since I don't have one in front of me. I don't think it adds more because, IIRC, it doesn't have the lip that the iPhone cases have, correct?