Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
I don't want to alarm everybody but I did not see any reference to battery life in the announcement for the smaller pro. Apple took the time to mention how much battery life has improved for the SE but did not mention the battery life of the pro at all.

Four speakers take up more room so we may be looking at the same, or worse battery life than the air 2 (which had a smaller battery than the air 1)

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I'll tell you this:

IPP 9.7"
* throttled down/lower clock cores vs 13"
* much weaker speaker performance vs 13"
* battery life to be 10 hours same as the 13"

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
I
I'll tell you this:

IPP 9.7"
* throttled down/lower clock cores vs 13"
* much weaker speaker performance vs 13"
* battery life to be 10 hours same as the 13"
If that was to be the case then it would be pro in name only.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
According to the website, it's estimated at the same 10 hours of web browsing as every other iPad that has ever come out.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
So, the battery capacity itself is actually a tiny bit better than the Air 2 (27.5 Wh vs 27.3 Wh). What I wonder though, is how the new display will affect battery life. One of the benefits was supposed to be the ability to adjust the refresh rate dynamically to save power, which the 9.7" will have as well. But it may wind up being a bit of a wash with other things pulling at the battery now that weren't there before (extra speakers, extra screen brightness).

That said, the clock speed on the 9.7" isn't that much slower than the 12.9". It may have fewer GPU cores though in exchange. The CPU numbers Apple's reporting suggest a minor downclock. It's closer to the 12.9" Pro than the 6S, I'd guess maybe around 2-2.1Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz?. That said, the GPU numbers are strangely different. I'd guess that perhaps these are A9Xs that are binned with one disabled GPU cluster pair (The A9X has 12 clusters, in pairs of two). Having one disabled cluster pair for 10 clusters instead of 12 would explain the discrepancy of the GPU numbers. But yes, these are very likely just the same A9Xs as are used in the 12.9" Pro, just binned. That doesn't surprise me all that much, really. A smaller difference than what you get between the 13" and 15" MBPs, honestly.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Does anyone know the power draw between the A8X and A9X? The A9X has twice the RAM, but if the rest of the components are more efficient, that may not matter.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
ive killed my ipad pro battery in 5 hours painting on full brightness. but usually i get 8-9 just surfing the web. wish they had better life.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So, the battery capacity itself is actually a tiny bit better than the Air 2 (27.5 Wh vs 27.3 Wh). What I wonder though, is how the new display will affect battery life. One of the benefits was supposed to be the ability to adjust the refresh rate dynamically to save power, which the 9.7" will have as well. But it may wind up being a bit of a wash with other things pulling at the battery now that weren't there before (extra speakers, extra screen brightness).

That said, the clock speed on the 9.7" isn't that much slower than the 12.9". It may have fewer GPU cores though in exchange. The CPU numbers Apple's reporting suggest a minor downclock. It's closer to the 12.9" Pro than the 6S, I'd guess maybe around 2-2.1Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz?. That said, the GPU numbers are strangely different. I'd guess that perhaps these are A9Xs that are binned with one disabled GPU cluster pair (The A9X has 12 clusters, in pairs of two). Having one disabled cluster pair for 10 clusters instead of 12 would explain the discrepancy of the GPU numbers. But yes, these are very likely just the same A9Xs as are used in the 12.9" Pro, just binned. That doesn't surprise me all that much, really. A smaller difference than what you get between the 13" and 15" MBPs, honestly.

I wonder if one disabled pair will make much of a difference. The iPad Pro 9.7" has far fewer pixels to drive than the iPad Pro so any benefit gained from those two cores may be offset by greater screen demands.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I wonder if one disabled pair will make much of a difference. The iPad Pro 9.7" has far fewer pixels to drive than the iPad Pro so any benefit gained from those two cores may be offset by greater screen demands.

Depends on the scenario, I think. In general though, I think the 9.7" will be at least on par, even with a disabled cluster pair. Some cases it will lag behind a little, others it will be a little ahead. Depends on if pixel fill is your bottleneck or not.

But, having a couple fewer clusters to power will help battery a bit, and using binning to improve yields will make the A9X more cost effective.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
All this 'talk' means squat!

Waiting for real life reviews from Engadget, etc to get the truth.

This is just chatter AFAIC...

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The new iPad Pro is 40% less reflective than the iPad Air 2, so you wouldn't need to have your brightness up as high, meaning you could potentially get even better battery life out of the Pro than the Air 2.

Reactions: baypharm

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
ive killed my ipad pro battery in 5 hours painting on full brightness. but usually i get 8-9 just surfing the web. wish they had better life.

I can kind of deal with the battery performance, wish it was better but in general, I am ok.

The problem is the eternity it takes to charge it.

Hopefully, the USB-C fast charging will be the fix.

Reactions: DaniJoy

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The new iPad Pro is 40% less reflective than the iPad Air 2, so you wouldn't need to have your brightness up as high, meaning you could potentially get even better battery life out of the Pro than the Air 2.

On paper, probably. And with a higher max brightness, they are probably measuring battery life with a different brightness output. But then you add in more variance due to things like the adjustable display timer (which makes some things more battery intensive than others), and it gets murkier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.