Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
England
Anyone had a chance to try the new iPad Pro 9.7 outside in sunshine yet? Wondering if the new improved screen makes it easier to see in those conditions. Opportunities to try this out in the UK are a bit limited at present.

Should I be tossing out my Kindle Voyage?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
It's better than my Mini 4, which was much improved over previous iPads.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I can nev

er see anything with polarized sunglasses. I truly don't understand why they're so special.

It's how the polarizing film is oriented. The iPad is far better about this than most tablets though, but I imagine it can vary depending on your glasses.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I don't have a previous gen iPad to compare , but the pro is still a fingerprint and reflection magnet

Field3

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
Anyone had a chance to try the new iPad Pro 9.7 outside in sunshine yet? Wondering if the new improved screen makes it easier to see in those conditions. Opportunities to try this out in the UK are a bit limited at present.

Should I be tossing out my Kindle Voyage?

No better than an ipad 4

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Baloney. The Air 2 was significantly better than the 4, and the new Pro is better still. (Owned all of them).

Owned an iPad 3 and went to a 9.7 pro. It's less reflective and there may be other objective improvements, but subjectively it doesn't seem very different to me. Everyone has a different experience. i personally wouldn't upgrade explicitly for the new screen, but I absolutely noticed the reduced colour gamut of the early iPad minis.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Owned an iPad 3 and went to a 9.7 pro. It's less reflective and there may be other objective improvements, but subjectively it doesn't seem very different to me. Everyone has a different experience. i personally wouldn't upgrade explicitly for the new screen, but I absolutely noticed the reduced colour gamut of the early iPad minis.

I was in west Africa for several months last year where I used my Air 2 extensively outdoors in mid-day sunlight. It was actually usable, as compared to my Surface Pro or any of my colleagues tablets. I've actually spent a considerable amount of time researching tablets with low reflectivity for a commercial purpose, and the reality is, there is no better tablet than a current iPad, especially since transflective displays larger than a watch are basically dead.
[doublepost=1460646068][/doublepost]
I just took them both outside in clouless skies. Dream on if you believe otherwise.

I don't need your opinion, the objective data proves otherwise, and as I mention, I've spent a lot more time dealing with this issue then taking them outside to make a pre-determined judgement.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
I was in west Africa for several months last year where I used my Air 2 extensively outdoors in mid-day sunlight. It was actually usable, as compared to my Surface Pro or any of my colleagues tablets. I've actually spent a considerable amount of time researching tablets with low reflectivity for a commercial purpose, and the reality is, there is no better tablet than a current iPad, especially since transflective displays larger than a watch are basically dead.
[doublepost=1460646068][/doublepost]

I don't need your opinion, the objective data proves otherwise, and as I mention, I've spent a lot more time dealing with this issue then taking them outside to make a pre-determined judgement.

I didn't doubt the fact that there are empirical improvements. I'm just saying the casual user reading their tablet on the toilet might not perceive the huge upgrade that many are touting the display as. ;)

reviews online tend to distill things into punchy absolutes, when the reality is a bit murkier. It's a great display, but for most use cases it's more of a refinement than a massive change. People say "there is no wobble from the camera bump" when there is, it's just not a usability problem.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I didn't doubt the fact that there are empirical improvements. I'm just saying the casual user reading their tablet on the toilet might not perceive the huge upgrade that many are touting the display as. ;)

reviews online tend to distill things into punchy absolutes, when the reality is a bit murkier. It's a great display, but for most use cases it's more of a refinement than a massive change. People say "there is no wobble from the camera bump" when there is, it's just not a usability problem.

Indoors people are unlikely to notice much, but outdoors, I assure you that if you are actually sitting in the sun, say at the pool, in direct sunlight, or trying to use the device on a job site in mid-day sun, it's the difference between usable and not. The Surface Pro has a fantastic screen that is effectively unusable outdoors because Microsoft hasn't bothered to deal with the issue. It was one of the first questions I asked reviewers when they started getting their hands on the SP4. So I'm really glad Apple is continuing to lead the way on this issue that most people would ignore. That's the part of Apple that keeps me coming back.

Field3

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
DSC00183.JPG

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
That might be the weirdest picture I have ever seen to prove a point, well done! That is not how I used my iPad outside, I use mine holding it, and it is an improvement over previous models outside in the sun, but still not great.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
You sit on the toilet in the bright sunshine?? I thought this thread was about seeing the pro screen in the sunshine.

Touché.

Although to that point, I still think the improvement for outside viewing of LCD displays is more of a "less crappy" metric than a "so-good-it's-a-replacement for e-ink" type of situation.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
England
Thanks for replies everyone. :) Seems like e-ink still has the edge for the time being, but things are improving incrementally with the new iPad screens.

Peter118

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
I know it can not beat a kindle, but is a mini 4 good enough to use for reading under a sun screen in the shadow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.