ipad pro 9.7 - keyboard case or separate keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mrklaw, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Can't work out the best option, and I'd like to choose soon as I'll be getting my ipad in a couple of days.

I wasn't a big fan of the smart keyboard on the ipad pro 12.9, the keys felt too hard due to lack of travel, and its quite an ugly cover. But still a lot lighter and thinner than third party options.

But on the 9.7 which I'll be getting, I'm worried the keyboard will be too narrow to type comfortably, and therefore I might end up not using it much. So would an external keyboard - eg the logitech BT one with a slot to hold the ipad - be a better choice?

I suppose one alternative would be to try one in a local apple store soon after launch, but you can never really tell from 5-10 minutes tapping away while stood at a desk, and I don't like leaving my ipad with no cover while I'm deciding.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

A keyboard adds bulk that you won't need the majority of the time you're using your iPad. Get a nice thin protective case for the iPad, and a separate bluetooth keyboard for those times you need a keyboard. I use the original Apple bluetooth keyboard paired to my iPad. It goes with me when I'll be doing extensive typing. Otherwise it stays home.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I ordered the 9.7" Smart Keyboard with silicon back cover. I'm a little annoyed that my keyboard case is coming a full week after the iPad. Possibly longer than that.

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Interesting. I already have mine. It came yesterday. Interest must have really ramped up in the hours/days after pre-orders went live.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    One, if not the biggest, reason that I will always stick with smart connector keyboard accessories (and currently my preference is the smart keyboard cover) is the ease of use. I have used iPads with bluetooth keyboards over the years many times and in many, many instances I have found myself a floor below my office sitting on the couch relaxing with my iPad and I need to type in a message or fill a form or something and ... well nothing happens. No on screen keyboard. Because the F*#K*NG bluetooth keyboard is still on and paired with the iPad, successfully connected from vastly farther away than necessary.

Never happens with the smart connector. As soon as that keyboard is off the iPad, it works as normal. It is one less thing to have to think about. It's one less state to baby sit. One fewer way to be annoyed while using a modern computing device built around streamlined experience. It is ideal.

I will also say this about the keyboard cover. I had the 13" iPad Pro with the keyboard cover. I ultimately returned the set due to enormity. But during the time I had it, about 6 weeks (yay holiday return periods) the keys on the keyboard cover become much more enjoyable to press. The cover material itself broke in and became more supple. Key travel requires are a myth, don't buy into it. You acclimate to whatever travel is required. In fact, shorter travel is ideal as it requires less energy and requires less distance to return to typing preparation position. You can type faster and easier with short travel. But difficulty in reliably pressing the keys did happen when the keyboard was fresh.

So since I ended up with my new keyboard cover arriving days prior to the iPad Pro, I've taken it out and have been trying to accelerate that break-in process. It makes a big difference.

5. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

sounds good. I think I could live with the feel even if not ideal. My main uncertainty is size on the smaller keyboard. Wife had a samsung NC10 netbook (remember those?) and my touch typing muscle memory just couldn't adapt to that tiny keyboard.

Doesn't help that apple don't offer more colours for the keyboard cover. I like my product red smart covers
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---

apple store app is showing 1.2 weeks for availability for the keyboard. Might risk the apple store tomorrow in case they have stock in hand.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The problem is that I didn't get up in the middle of the night to order. I didn't even decide I wanted an iPad Pro until like 3 days after the keynote, so that's when I ordered everything. The iPad and silicon back cover are now both scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but the keyboard case still says 1-2 weeks out. It's actually ok--I'm going to keep everything boxed and sealed until my rMBP is officially sold.

7. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

Same here. I have my rMBP set to sell on Saturday to a friend. Since I am done with school I have no need for it. May get a Mac Mini to keep some computing capability at home. I will just use Jump Desktop/Swiftpoint mouse to remote in when I am out and about with the 9.7" Pro. Been using the 12.9" for a few days and will be returning it this weekend.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

So far on my eBay auction, I've had to re-list once because some kid used his mom's account to "buy it now" without permission, and now I have all kinds of scammers telling me that I should just directly invoice them the opening bid, de-list the laptop, and they swear they'll send me the money on Paypal.

I love eBay in a lot of ways, but MAN the scammers run rampant.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I think the question you need to answer for yourself comes down to this:

"Do you plan on being able to tote the keyboard with you in various mobile scenarios?"

The beauty of keyboard covers is that they not only protect the screen but they are also always with the iPad. Being able to go from office to conference room, home office to living room, by simply snatching up the iPad is very, very convenient.

Having a separate keyboard, especially one that is larger than the iPad, can be cumbersome. Not only are they now 2 separate pieces, but they may not easily fit in a slim case since a separate keyboard will be bulkier.

I was not a fan of the Apple Smart Keyboard. Not at all. Not for the price. Not for the functionality. But given all of the available options for the 12.9 iPP, it turns out to be the best (relatively speaking) for me. I use my old Surface TypeCover trick (detach the keyboard cover, flip it around and re-attach it) to use the iPP as a tablet without having the keyboard cover in the way.

The benefit of a keyboard cover vs a keyboard case is the ability to easily jettison the keyboard cover to use the iPad without any encumbrance. With keyboard cases, I would have to fold them over themselves (if they supported Z-fold orientation like the Belkin Qode Ultrathin for my Air 2) or fold them backward, exposing the keys on the back.

10. sekman macrumors newbie

I did instore pickup yesterday for the device, keyboard and pencil. Well I had to originally order the keyboard for shipping, then went in to the store about mid day and they had three on the shelf. So I had the store rep get me one of them. I really like the keyboard, it's a little bit cramped but everything is right were your fingers expect it to be. I am also a fan of the keyboard shortcuts.