ipad pro 9.7 now or wait?

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
505
102
I know there have been quite a few threads on whether to buy an ipad now or wait... but given the disappointing announcement today, I am not sure what to do now.

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has been fine, but I am ready to upgrade to a new one. I was hoping to see a spec bump on the ipad pro 9.7 today, or the 10.5 ipad (wishful thinking).

Ideally, I want to get a new ipad within the next few weeks, but can wait a month or two (I need it before June). Would you recommend just getting the 9.7 iPad pro now or wait to see if there is an announcement in April? I am starting to doubt it will happen given what just rolled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
 

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
2,877
2,315
Michigan
I know there have been quite a few threads on whether to buy an ipad now or wait... but given the disappointing announcement today, I am not sure what to do now.

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has been fine, but I am ready to upgrade to a new one. I was hoping to see a spec bump on the ipad pro 9.7 today, or the 10.5 ipad (wishful thinking).

Ideally, I want to get a new ipad within the next few weeks, but can wait a month or two (I need it before June). Would you recommend just getting the 9.7 iPad pro now or wait to see if there is an announceme in April? I am starting to doubt it will happen given what just rolled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
WAIT!!! There is sure to be some sort of update to the iPad Pro line by June. With the new iPad announced today it seems the new 9.7, 10.5 and 12.9 prices will be 499, $599 and $699 respectively.

The 9.7 pro is great but it would be foolish to buy anything now aside from the new iPad released today ( if you had ANY other iPad older than an Air 2.)
 
  • Like
Reactions: CoriG

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
33,476
34,571
I know there have been quite a few threads on whether to buy an ipad now or wait... but given the disappointing announcement today, I am not sure what to do now.

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has been fine, but I am ready to upgrade to a new one. I was hoping to see a spec bump on the ipad pro 9.7 today, or the 10.5 ipad (wishful thinking).

Ideally, I want to get a new ipad within the next few weeks, but can wait a month or two (I need it before June). Would you recommend just getting the 9.7 iPad pro now or wait to see if there is an announcement in April? I am starting to doubt it will happen given what just rolled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
It's a tough call. Apple isn't following their timeline as they have for the past two years. Honestly, I'm not confident a Keynote will happen before June regarding an updated iPad Pro/10.5. We don't even know if the 10.5 iPad will exist. But I would wait through April to see if anything happens, but with this new $379.00 iPad, it's hard to say.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
322
240
Ohio
I am in the same boat as you, but I've held off long enough. I ordered a 9.7 pro cellular model and pencil earlier today. I'm disappointed but I can't wait anymore.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sracer

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
238
254
Yeah not sure I can wait either. Really was hoping for a spec bump today for the 9.7.

It's coming, but probably whenever the 10.5 lands, which may well not be until Fall now.

Be interesting to see the usual analysts weigh in now, in the upcoming days and weeks.
I guess there's a chance for an April event which will be in 3 weeks or so,but past that it's certainly the Fall.
 

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
137
54
Maybe they are waiting for Samsung to release the S8 and then Apple will hit with the new ipad pro.
I'm sure this new ipads will have a new design based on the Iphone 8.
Apple is probably going to unveil them closer to the iphone 8 release date.
 

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
147
99
Germany
I've sold my iPad Pro 12,9 since it was a tad too big. I was hoping for a keynote and a new 10,5 iPad that would be perfect for me. And now.. After yesterdays disappointment I've grabbed a one week used iPad Pro 9,7 for 490€. I think it was a great deal. Now I will wait for the 10,5 announcement and sell the 9,7 when it comes out. If you ask me - I'm pretty sure Apple will introduce the new iPhones first, with OLED-screen, small bezzels and these changes will catch up with the new iPads afterwards. I can't imagine that they introduce all the new big changes with an iPad instead of a new iPhone since iPhones are there core business.
 

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
14,834
7,394
Put me in the wait category. It seems like new Pros are imminent. The 12.9 is especially crusty. With the entry 9.7 getting a chip boost and Touch ID it seems the Pro 9.7 will be updated as well - maybe to the rumored 10.5? At any rate it doesn't make sense to pay top dollar for a year old model.
 
  • Like
Reactions: profets

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
9,004
10,123
Philadelphia, PA
I'd wait. If your current iPad works fine for you, really no pressing need to upgrade at the moment. I'd wait to see if this bezel-less 10.5 comes out. That's what I am interested in seeing.
 

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
8,671
9,387
Prescott Valley, AZ
I know there have been quite a few threads on whether to buy an ipad now or wait... but given the disappointing announcement today, I am not sure what to do now.

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has been fine, but I am ready to upgrade to a new one. I was hoping to see a spec bump on the ipad pro 9.7 today, or the 10.5 ipad (wishful thinking).

Ideally, I want to get a new ipad within the next few weeks, but can wait a month or two (I need it before June). Would you recommend just getting the 9.7 iPad pro now or wait to see if there is an announcement in April? I am starting to doubt it will happen given what just rolled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
There are people who have been waiting since November for an update to the 9.7 Pro because they thought it was coming in March. They waited for nothing.

Some of them are buying the current 9.7 Pro but others are now waiting for a possible April event. Should nothing happen, they'll end up 7 months later and still not have a Pro.

And then after waiting 7 months, they'll hold off buying the 9.7 Pro because it will have been 14 months since the 9.7 Pro was released, making it "crusty" and "aging".

If the iPad is nothing but a toy, waiting 7 months is no big deal. But for something that is useful, that is a long time to go without it.

It's an interesting phenomenon. People are so nervous about "buying at the wrong time" that it paralyzes them. I have a few criteria that I use when deciding when to buy which iPad that has worked perfectly for me (I've posted it various places) but one thing that I can recommend for YOU is... decide on the model and capacity you want and then wait for the first $100+ off sale and buy it then.
 

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
1,901
386
Ma
Definitely Wait I was ready to buy a updated 12.9 Pro but now I'll wait to see what the 10.5 holds as they will probably be announced together.
 

lightmyway

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
89
96
I know there have been quite a few threads on whether to buy an ipad now or wait... but given the disappointing announcement today, I am not sure what to do now.

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has been fine, but I am ready to upgrade to a new one. I was hoping to see a spec bump on the ipad pro 9.7 today, or the 10.5 ipad (wishful thinking).

Ideally, I want to get a new ipad within the next few weeks, but can wait a month or two (I need it before June). Would you recommend just getting the 9.7 iPad pro now or wait to see if there is an announcement in April? I am starting to doubt it will happen given what just rolled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Two good options:

1) If you are price-sensitive, grab 9.7" Pro if you see a good sale ($150 off, as someone else suggested).

2) Wait and get the 10.5". It will be a much bigger upgrade from the Air 2 than the 9.7" Pro is. I think it's going to be game-changer for iPad users.
 

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
505
102
Two good options:

1) If you are price-sensitive, grab 9.7" Pro if you see a good sale ($150 off, as someone else suggested).

2) Wait and get the 10.5". It will be a much bigger upgrade from the Air 2 than the 9.7" Pro is. I think it's going to be game-changer for iPad users.
I am not price sensitive. I am more time sensitive. I would like to buy another iPad before I travel to Africa in June. The thought of my daughter and I traveling for 24 hours with only one good ipad is daunting!
 

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
4,556
4,465
I am not price sensitive. I am more time sensitive. I would like to buy another iPad before I travel to Africa in June. The thought of my daughter and I traveling for 24 hours with only one good ipad is daunting!
Was going to ask, if you have an Air 2 that's a pretty decent iPad, and technically just 1 generation old, so why the need to upgrade now instead of waiting until the fall. But if it's for travel because you need an additional iPad, then that's a whole different story. I assume then it's because you're looking for an additional iPad?
 

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
2,341
1,889
San Jose, CA
If you read between the lines, it's entirely possible that the"Pro" monikor wasn't just for marketing purposes. Attaching the Pro monikor may also imply much longer time intervals between major refreshes, just like the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DougFNJ

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
505
102
Was going to ask, if you have an Air 2 that's a pretty decent iPad, and technically just 1 generation old, so why the need to upgrade now instead of waiting until the fall. But if it's for travel because you need an additional iPad, then that's a whole different story. I assume then it's because you're looking for an additional iPad?
Yes, my ipad air 2 is a workhorse and I dont technically need a new ipad.. but would love an additional one for sanity sake.
 

lightmyway

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
89
96
A cheap ($50) Amazon Fire might be something good for your daughter for the trip. Lots of free apps included if you have a Prime membership.
 

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
2,468
2,404
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
If you read between the lines, it's entirely possible that the"Pro" monikor wasn't just for marketing purposes. Attaching the Pro monikor may also imply much longer time intervals between major refreshes, just like the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.
Longer time intervals, like the Mac Pro?

It would seem that mini means "Pro" in Apple parlance, as in Mac Mini.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.