Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
UK
I seem to be having a problem with my new iPad Pro 9.7.

When I fully charge the battery if i then take the iPad off of charge it seems to lose a lot of battery in standby mode. What I have noticed is that when I'm not using the iPad the usage in the the battery settings still increases. First of all I thought it was a problem with my transfer from my iPad mini 2 backup (iCould) so I restored the software via iTunes on my Macbook and set the iPad up as a new device.

Within 9 hours (overnight when the iPad was in standby and the apple smart cover was on) my iPad lost 5% (usage also went up by 4 hours!). I then left it for another 3 and a bit hours (no use cover on) and it dropped by another 3% and the usage increased buy 2 hours and 6 mins).

Last week I did not use the iPad in almost 3 days it was at home sitting on the side just in standby and it dropped from 100% to 33% and showed a usage of 19 hours!

The problem has continued even after 2 x clean installs and with my backup from my mini.

Steps I have taken are

• Clean install x 2
  • Restored in iTunes then restored from iPad mini x 2
  • Fully drained the battery and recharged
  • Tried my wife's 10w iPad charge
Is there any reason why the usage would be increasing when I'm not using the iPad? I have got an appointment with apple next week but just wanted to see if anyone can help me on here first.

Taken at 00:32 this morning.
2zG1ZWZ.jpg

Taken at 10:10 After no usage
MRBtokW.jpg

Taken at 13:33
09YQOCL.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Clearly you have something running in the background. Do you have background app refresh turned off? Facebook (I'm sure they fixed the issue, but I always force close the app regardless)? Have you tried a hard reset (simply hold the home button and the power button simultaneously until apple logo appears)?

hammie14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Clearly you have something running in the background. Do you have background app refresh turned off? Facebook (I'm sure they fixed the issue, but I always force close the app regardless)? Have you tried a hard reset (simply hold the home button and the power button simultaneously until apple logo appears)?

Yes I have tried this. App refresh is on but I only have a handful of apps installed. I also have a mirrored iPad 3rd gen which is running the same backup so all the same settings and that does not have a problem!

fjmontemar

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Yes I have tried this. App refresh is on but I only have a handful of apps installed. I also have a mirrored iPad 3rd gen which is running the same backup so all the same settings and that does not have a problem!

I have the same problem. Yesterday i went to bed with the iPad at 89% (in plane mode and wifi on) and this morns it's 38%. I had not background apps. I have the Keyboard and tonight i'm going to take out the keyboard and see what's happened.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Your home and lock screen is in the list. You messages say 30%. So even if you are texting on your phone, it is also kicking to the iPad. Smart Cover open?

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Get rid of some of your apps like Facebook and watch your battery last way longer.

I really didn't believe this until I did it myself a few months ago and got 2-3 hours more battery life out of my iPhone/iPad. I ended up making a shortcut to the mobile site and that's worked for me. Facebook is probably the issue.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Could you turn on the time apps are used? (Little clock to the right of 24/7) and show us another print screen.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Apple replaced the iPad a few days after my first post!

Clean install with no apps on the new device and the same problem. Battery life has improved from 9.3.1 to 9.3.2. Hoping iOS 10 brings a better fix!

Edit wrong version numbers quoted!

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Clean install with no apps on the new device and the same problem.

Brand new replacement iPad and you're "seeing" the exact same battery drain - clearly you have an App or settings that is/are causing that. Absolutely no way you could duplicate that "poor" battery performance on a new iPad.

Last edited:

hammie14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Brand new replacement iPad and you're "seeing" the exact same battery drain - clearly you have an App or settings that is/are causing that. Absolutely no way you could duplicate that "poor" battery performance on a new iPad.

Maybe its a software problem within iOS 9 with some devices? I don't all I know is its not a settings or an app as its a brand new install of iOS installed via iTunes with NO apps or settings changed, as soon as I was at the home screen and then put the device in to standby. Nothing was installed so iMessage etc etc would not have done anything as it was not setup.

I have got used to it now the battery seems fine if the device in use. My friends iPad pro 9.7 do not suffer from the problem!
[doublepost=1464894573][/doublepost]
What are you expecting?

Hoping with an update to the software the battery is optimised for the Pro just incase it could be a software problem with certain devices!

fjmontemar

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
I had old 9.3.2 and yesterday i update to the new 9.3.2 and the problem is out. Tonight my iPad just spent by it self 1% of battery. That is normal!!!!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Maybe its a software problem within iOS 9 with some devices? I don't all I know is its not a settings or an app as its a brand new install of iOS installed via iTunes with NO apps or settings changed, as soon as I was at the home screen and then put the device in to standby. Nothing was installed so iMessage etc etc would not have done anything as it was not setup.

I have got used to it now the battery seems fine if the device in use. My friends iPad pro 9.7 do not suffer from the problem!
[doublepost=1464894573][/doublepost]

Hoping with an update to the software the battery is optimised for the Pro just incase it could be a software problem with certain devices!

#1. Disable alway on Siri she's listening and wasting battery
#2. Your Apple cover is triggering your iPad to come on when it shouldn't happened to my
#3. Turn off background App refresh
#4. Go to the Apple Store as soon as they open so you don't wait no appointment needed and get a free battery diagnostic
#5. If you have a Cellular iPad turn off cellular. If it's just WiFi. Then delete the connection and start fresh on a new Radio or band weak Wifi or interference may be stressing the iPads battery. I strictly use 5Ghz 802.11 AC 2.4Ghz is permanently disabled.
#6. Use a different or get a free replacement cable and charger at the Apple Store take in you old one and get a new Brick and cable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.