Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camhabib

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Hoping someone else on here has had this same issue and has found a potential issue for it. I've now tried two different iPad Pro 9.7's (128GB and 256GB Wifi) and both randomly restarted on me at various times. It's a partial restart, which cuts to the Apple logo and then to the login screen, where it allows me use Touch ID to log in, which iOS does not allow you to do on a full restart. I haven't been able to find an action or app that causes this to happen, and setting the iPad up as a new device does not help. It happens fairly infrequently, and usually after prolonged use, but it's obviously fairly problematic with losing work, etc.

Anyone else have this happen or can think of some potential solutions, aside from installing app by app and going a day to see if it crashes or not? Chatted with Apple Support and they couldn't provide me any solution other than to go swap it out for a new one.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think it's a hardware issue since it's just a springboard crash. If it were a full reboot or shutdown it could be hardware. I've had mine about 10 days and have had 3 springboard reboots. Im pretty confident Apple will fix this in a future software update. There is another thread on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.