iPad Pro 9.7 Smart Keyboard Day of Availability

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by hArrisburger, Mar 31, 2016.

1. hArrisburger macrumors regular

Any thoughts where the Smart Keyboard would be available today 3/31/15? I was able to get an 168GB Cellular Space Grey first thing this AM from Best Buy, but it doesn't look like they have any accessories. Apple Store is not showing any availability for pick up at any of their stores.

Thanks!

2. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

I called the Apple Store in Fort Worth, TX yesterday and they said they will have them in stock today when they open at 10am CST. Also, Best Buy is now selling them online with the quickest delivery as soon as tomorrow using express shipping. Expedited gets it to you on Monday.

3. uwdude macrumors 6502a

This is what I'm worried about too- I don't see in store pickup available. Hopefully we will get confirmations that the stores have the keyboards today.

4. john991 macrumors 6502a

Going in the Apple Store app I see coming soon for the keyboard. :(

5. KylePowers, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm waiting in line at Tesla lol, but it's just a block away from my Apple Store. Gonna try to swing by when they open to take a peek at the 9.7 ASK and see if they have any stock. Will report back!

Edit- got one! But there were only two left

6. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

Like I said in my post above the Apple Store has the 9.7 Smart Keyboard in stock. Just picked mine up with the silicone case. Corporate discount worked on the case not the keyboard.

Attached Files:

7. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I called my "local" Apple Store and the operator said they have them in stock, but of course i can't get there (and its a 45 minute drive) until this afternoon. Hope it is still there. There isn't an option to purchase and pick up for whatever reason.

8. jschu22 macrumors regular

I was in an Apple Store buying the whole deal and after waiting for a good 15 min for them searching, they said they don't have the keyboard. This is even though their handhelds said they had them in stock.

9. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

10. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at the app, and it looks like most stores don't have them and are offering ship to store (don't know how long that takes). There's like 2 or 3 out of the dozen or so in Florida that are saying available today, but closest one is like 3 hours away.

11. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

That is rough. I walked in this morning at 10am when they opened and grabbed one. I only saw three on the shelf. Poor people waiting in line for the iPad had no chance to grab the accessory if they wanted it. When store pick up went live that exact store was out of stock.

12. eagleglen, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Every store in the Phoenix area is saying online that it is only available if "shipped to store". I'm rather disappointed. The Smart Keyboard is what I've been looking forward to most with this upgrade. Hopefully inventory will be available soon. I'm holding off buying the Pro until I can get the keyboard at the same time.

13. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Hey at least your Best Buy didn't tell you that the cases for the iPad Air 2 and the 9.7 Pro are the same! Haha.

14. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Yes it really sounds like they had very low stocks of the keyboard for some reason. T-Mobile didn't even sell the keyboard at all. Maybe the 12.9" keyboard didn't sell very well? That's not like Apple to not have high margin accessories available to tempt you, lol. Although it was the same way with the pencil, not available for weeks. Guess I should just go ahead and order it- sounds like people will be stalking the stores for a while.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    I went ahead and ordered it through the app. At least I'll probably get it around the 14th that way. The ship to store option was saying it would be available Apr 21st! Might as well put in an order, I think it's going to be a while before we see the keyboards.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I really don't understand the issues with availability. They had the same issues with the big IPP. The Apple stores seemed to have plenty of iPads, but very limited smart keyboards. Are they that difficult to make in large quantities?

16. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Checking this morning, the shipping dates have shifted back another day to the 15th-22nd, lol.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    But they are the same! Look, see, they're the same size, they must be the same! :rolleyes:

17. MDalprato macrumors newbie

MDalprato

Here in italy you can buy it online but the shipment date has changed from three days (last time I checked was on the 29th of March, when I placed my iPad Pro 9.7 order) to 1/2 weeks (I noticed it today).
    If I order it today, it'll be on my desk between the 15th and the 22th of April.

18. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Yep, same here in America. See, having a huge national military and crazy people running for president doesn't help us one bit to get our Apple orders sooner!

19. MDalprato macrumors newbie

MDalprato

LOL .. we are all on the same boat :)

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I found this morning that I was able to get an express shipping order in on Best Buy's website. I paid a little extra for shipping to have it here on Monday. I then called Apple and cancelled the one I've had on order with them because it still said it could get here as late as the 14th.

I hate that there was no stock available for this item at launch. The cool implementation of the keyboard is half the reason I decided to move back up to a 9.7" iPad and get the Pro model. I finally feel like Apple made my ideal tablet. And it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal, except that the keyboard cover is also in charge of protecting my screen, so now I feel like I have to handle the iPad with kid gloves all weekend. It's kind of a problem to set it down anywhere in my house without that front cover on it--nowhere is save in my house because I have young children.

First world problems, I know. I just don't feel like I have the iPad Pro yet without that keyboard cover.

21. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to find one at the Apple Store, but had to drive 90 minutes to get it. There was only one or two left so I am sure they sold out.

I like the keyboard with the silicone case so far. Works well and feels sturdy.

22. gatorknight904 macrumors regular

gatorknight904

That is dedication. Haha Congrats!

With that gas money you could have paid the express shipping on BestBuy.com but had to wait until Monday.

I get it. Haha

23. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

"but had to wait until Monday".... :)

Oh, I did the calculations. Just over $13 in gas. But the wait until Monday is a premium. Plus it wasn't showing up consistently as a Monday delivery in my app. Played it safe and made the trip and took the afternoon off.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I drove out to the Apple Store two days in a row (once through really bad construction and once through bad accident traffic) to see if I could luck out and snag one. I was tired of it, so I finally went the Best Buy route. I did get notice today that it shipped, so I'm hopeful I'll have the keyboard by Monday. I didn't try the other two Apple Stores in my area because I was just fed up.

25. ricktat macrumors 65816

Local Best Buy said they were getting some today. Was the Apple guy so 27% possible.