iPad Pro 9.7 VS. Retina Macbook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kat.hayes, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I want a small portable computer for traveling. I was looking at the new Macbook, it seems pretty week, though it is more than enough to surf the web, use MS Office, Pages, Keynote, Numbers and other basic tasks. It seems like a major pain to get files on and off of it, and I'd likely use Dropbox/OneDrive/iCloud for that. With the release of the iPad Pro 9.7 I'm curious to hear your opinions on the pros/cons of the two devices for the basic tasks I described previously. I understand that the rMB runs full OS X, though I can't imagine doing anything like Photoshop or video editing on it, so I'm not sure which if any full applications I would run on it that would not be available in some app form on the iPad; and it is unlikely that I will have adapters available when I'm on the go to connect in USB devices, so that puts it on the same level of connectivity as the iPad. The iPad has the Pencil, what other features should I consider between the two devices?

Thanks.

2. JoeyEatWorld macrumors member

JoeyEatWorld

I made the switch from MacBook to iPad Pro a few months ago and am very pleased. I personally would not get the Pencil unless you do artistic designs. And the app FileBrowser basically replaces the file browsing you would miss from a computer. If you have the money to drop on an iPad Pro (in either size) I would go for it. I was worried at first I would miss my laptop but with the keyboard cover it is a pretty great replacement for me.