iPad Pro 9.7" what is eating my battery life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NightWingz, Apr 7, 2016.

1. NightWingz, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

NightWingz macrumors member

what is eating my battery life?

Upon restore, I noticed standby battery life was bad over the day (no usage). Turns out some "malicious" apps like Facebook turned its background app refresh on again.

I disabled almost all the background app refresh (to the state which my iPad Air 2 had) and today this is what happens. Notice there's no app usage cos I didn't used the iPad the whole day but something is running, using up 6 hours of my usage time and 7% battery.

Any ideas, folks? :(

Attached Files:

2. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I'd start deleting some of the suspect apps like Facebook, and see if you can target one that might be running background processes that are causing the drain.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I wouldn't consider Facebook a malicious app as it doesn't effect my standby time at all

4. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Also, there's a program called Memory & Disk Scanner Pro you might want to check out. The disk scanner works better than the memory scanner. Neither scans are perfect, but disk scan will remove a lot of app cache and cookies.

Worse case scenario: your new iPad has a defective battery.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Facebook, depending on it's setting is notorious for killing a battery.

6. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Definitely not normal...if purchased from Apple, return for refund. If bought elsewhere, get it exchanged.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

Why? It's clearly not a hardware problem.

8. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

You can't say that...it may be a bad battery.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe . . . . . but worth checking out before returning.

10. CE3 macrumors 6502a

The quickest way to figure out if it's a battery issue is to erase everything and setup as new (don't install any additional apps). If the battery is still acting up, exchange it.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't Facebook is an issue anymore. It was a while back and there are posts on these forums to prove it but they released an update a while back which I believe resolved the issue.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My friend still is complaining that over night 20% of his battery is going towards Facebook while he is sleeping. I do not use Facebook so I do not know.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't use Facebook a whole lot but when I do it's not a big battery drain like it use to be.

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

If you've only just done the restore, give it a day or two to finish all of its indexing.

Drain the battery completely and give it a full charge at least once.

If you use iCloud and so on there will be things happening in the background that don't get reported as something that's using battery.

Cellular/WiFi searching for a signal drains battery too.

Turn off background refresh and location services you don't need.

If you get a lot of notifications on it, that eats some battery as well.

Push comes to shove, restore it as a new device, not from backup.

That's just the usual troubleshooting stuff. If it's still terrible after all that. Call Apple support, you may have a lemon.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Whatever the issue is also affected my iPad 3.

It's not battery hardware, because 6h usage with 7% drain would be fantastic under normal circumstances. It's bad in the sense that some process is creating a constant drain that makes the iPad die in about 10 days even with no "actual" use.

I tried erasing every 3rd party app, resetting all settings, nothing stopped it. I think it's some sort of iOS 9 bug that triggers on some devices, as that's when it started for me.

ive been using my new 9.7 pro too much to tell if this is happening on this device as well, but I am noticing it's difficult to get to the stated 10h usage, even with very dim (~30% or less) screen brightness, no gaming, strong wifi signal, non-LTE model. :(
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    Update: what the heck! I just checked my battery settings and it says battery usage will only be shown after a full charge, even though it was unplugged at 100% yesterday and was reporting usage a couple hours ago. The bugginess of iOS battery reporting lately makes it really hard to determine battery health.

16. NightWingz thread starter macrumors member

Guys, thanks for all your replies. After using it a few days, the standby time got better, so I guess it was indexing stuff in the background.

When I am not using the iPad Pro (same screenshot as above, no apps shown for using any battery), my standby time is about 10% for 2 days. So within 20 days the battery will be flat without using the iPad, assuming the drain rate stays the same. Is this normal?

I vividly remember the older iPad I used to own have a longer standby time. (Yeah, I know, uncommon use case, but us being MacRumors users, we are already more eccentric and different than the rest hahaha)

17. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

10% drop in 2 days is not normal.

I told you to return it.

18. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

19. NightWingz thread starter macrumors member

Why do you say that? If there was a side effect to Do not disturb mode, I would think it will increase battery life instead? Cos notifications are not lighting up the screen while on standby.

I think something is running in the background sometimes, I have no idea what.

I was browsing the net with lowest brightness in the dark that day, and the iPad battery actually went down only 10% after 2 hours, so I do not think my battery is defective.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Have you looked in Settings, Battery to see what apps have been using battery in the last 24 hours or 7 days? This might help you diagnose the issue.

21. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

His dropped 10% while suspended the whole time. (That's the way I read his last post.)

Yes, could be something running in background...assuming he ruled that out already.