iPad Pro 9.7 with LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seanerin, Apr 2, 2016.

1. seanerin macrumors member

Hey folks,

I am heading out today to buy the new Pro (upgrading from an iPad 2). I want the 256 but I am not sure it would make sense to get the LTE or not. I would like to have it but I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on ATT. I have gathered a couple of things:
    1. I would not be allowed to tether my new iPad to the cell phone under this plan.
    2. Essentially, I would have to switch to a mobile share plan to add the iPad or to tether.
    Is this correct? Are there any other means by which I can use LTE on the new iPad under my unlimited data plan?

Thank you.

2. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I would switch to 128GB and add the LTE and keep the unlimited data

3. bigserve100 macrumors newbie

Yes, as far as I know, you cannot tether with an IPAD or create a hotspot of any kind on the unlimited plan, unless that's changed. Tethering and using an LTE based iPad are two different things however. You can tether without LTE capable IPAD's by just using it's wifi connection. LTE capability is only important if you add that to a plan separately.

4. seanerin thread starter macrumors member

So it would only make sense to get LTE if I were either willing to drop my unlimited data plan (and switch to mobile share) or add the iPad to my existing plan? I don't see an option on ATT to add an iPad to my current plan. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks for you help thus far.

5. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

As someone who is on an AT&T Unlimited Data plan for my iPhone, tethering is not an option. I've never gotten the LTE model until the Pro 9.7 but I think it was the right decision for me. 200MB free data from T-Mobile each month. And on those months I know I will need it more, I can get 2GB of high speed data and unlimited throttled data for only $20 a month. With the weather getting nicer now I'll likely go out to my car to have lunch often and the store's wifi won't reach that far nor can I bring our hotspot out of the store with me. Having the mobile data will be very convenient in those situations(public wifi doesn't reach the parking lot at all nor is it very secure).

For me it will likely be worth it in the end but YMMV.

6. bigserve100 macrumors newbie

I'm almost positive that you cannot use the unlimited data on your LTE capable IPAD. I used to have unlimited..... and that only applied to my iPhone. Secondly, they wouldn't let me tether on that iPhone with the unlimited plan. That's why I switched to the mobile share plan, so I could use the data with my laptop, which I do frequently. Additionally, I could use that data with my iPad which is NOT LTE capable, it's just a Wifi. I just create a hotspot with my iPhone (which is now on the mobile share) and then I can share data with my IPad through wifi.

Independently you could purchase the LTE capable IPad and add it formally to your Mobile share plan if you switch to that. In that fashion, you would not need to create a hotspot with your iPhone to use the shared mobile data on your LTE capable iPad. It would just access the data directly over it's LTE radio. That's the advantage of having the LTE, you don't need the iPhone around.

7. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

You don't have to add your iPad to ATT the SIM will work with all 4 companies and verizon sim you can get from apple for free , this iPads are unlocked so you can use any company with no contract. so you can start your LTE by month to month pay as much as you use at the cheapest company at the time.

8. seanerin thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so can I just walk into a T-Mobile and purchase a tablet plan to add to my iPad? And that would only be $20 a month for 2gb?

9. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

You could actually do it all from the iPad itself. No need to even go to a store