Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing a 'system crash' when surfing safari and playing a video on YouTube?

I haven't been able to replicate it consistently, but it's happened a couple of times where I'll be typing something and have a video playing, and then suddenly the start up black screen with the apple logo shows up and then brings me back to the lock page and I have to relaunch everything.

Ideas? Experiences?

Reactions: melman101

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Reboot.

Then restore.

Then replace.
Well you'll be stuck in that cycle infinitely if it's a coding bug.

Which wouldn't be surprising, since split screen was added to YouTube just in the last update, and the iPad Pro 9.7' came out less than a week ago.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I use safari and youtube on the larger ipad pro all the time with split screen since youtube added support...it has never crashed. Maybe it's a ram issue....

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I use safari and youtube on the larger ipad pro all the time with split screen since youtube added support...it has never crashed. Maybe it's a ram issue....
sometimes when it crashes the entire login screen will also be half shifted to the left and cut off, it's ram...

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Or maybe it's because the smaller iPad Pro just came out and hasn't been optimised yet...
[doublepost=1459737776][/doublepost]
sometimes when it crashes the entire login screen will also be half shifted to the left and cut off, it's ram...

Unlikely. Seems to just be a coding bug, should be fixed soon if it's even a little widespread.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing a 'system crash' when surfing safari and playing a video on YouTube?

I haven't been able to replicate it consistently, but it's happened a couple of times where I'll be typing something and have a video playing, and then suddenly the start up black screen with the apple logo shows up and then brings me back to the lock page and I have to relaunch everything.

Ideas? Experiences?
Does it occur more often with multiple safari tabs open?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I do this all the time and haven't had an issue. In fact, I'm doing it right now, lol
[doublepost=1459738368][/doublepost]Ok, that was weird. Right after I finished that comment, my iPad resprung. First time it's happened since I got it on Thursday too.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I do this all the time and haven't had an issue. In fact, I'm doing it right now, lol
[doublepost=1459738368][/doublepost]Ok, that was weird. Right after I finished that comment, my iPad resprung. First time it's happened since I got it on Thursday too.
told you!
[doublepost=1459738499][/doublepost]
Does it occur more often with multiple safari tabs open?
I've had max like 4 tabs

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well let's see if this issue starts popping up more, two of you so far.

imac09

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2016
Hello,

Ideas? Experiences?

Nope...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
it just has the boot screen for like 4 seconds right?
Yes. I think I know what caused it now though. I was playing Asphalt 8 and I exported a recording of one of my races to my camera roll. Maybe it used up so much memory it crashed. Still, it just demonstrates the benefits of more ram.

Reactions: Wackery

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Yes. I think I know what caused it now though. I was playing Asphalt 8 and I exported a recording of one of my races to my camera roll. Maybe it used up so much memory it crashed. Still, it just demonstrates the benefits of more ram.
I was watching a let's play on youtube in HD and had like 4 tabs open.

Oh, the joys of 2gb of ram...

imac09

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2016
I was watching a let's play on youtube in HD and had like 4 tabs open.

Oh, the joys of 2gb of ram...

I just tried 10 tabs open in Safari and opened up u-tube and watched a video, no crashes here...

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I just tried 10 tabs open in Safari and opened up u-tube and watched a video, no crashes here...
Go play a graphically intense game and then afterwards try youtube and safari in split screen...and see what happens. I just know it doesn't happen on the larger ipad pro. If it doesn't happen, may be a app optimization issue......otherwise ram.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm honestly thinking about returning my 9.7 inch iPad for the 12.9 inch. But it's so big.
I love the large ipad pro, but I use the Galaxy Tab s2 9.7 as my companion device since it's portable. I'm not sure you will like to give up the portability aspect. Some posters on here have a ipad mini and the larger pro, that may be beneficial for you.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hello,

Ideas? Experiences?
No crashes here Websurfing and browser use and YouTube browsing at the same time in Side by Side the 9.7 Pro excels at. The day Netflix can do Side by Side will be great.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Perhaps this is difficult to believe, but in 4 months since I got my iPad Pro 12.9, no app has ever crashed!

Since YouTube updated their app to support split screen, I've been using it alongside Safari quite often, and no issues.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Garyphil

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2016
Hello,

Ideas? Experiences?
[doublepost=1459896160][/doublepost]Yes, it has happened to me 3 times; twice while watching a YouTube video (no split screen), and once while using Top Camera 2, a camera app which I had just downloaded two hours earlier.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
[doublepost=1459896160][/doublepost]Yes, it has happened to me 3 times; twice while watching a YouTube video (no split screen), and once while using Top Camera 2, a camera app which I had just downloaded two hours earlier.
It's happened to be 4 times now. 3 times with YouTube, 1 time when I was running word, Safari, was downloading house season 1 on the iTunes Store, andl listening to music.

It's the ram that's doing this...doesn't happen enough to be annoying, but it is happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.