Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Ive been testing out my iPad Pro 9.7 for the past few days, what is the best way to test it to make sure that it is not defective, like these crashes that have been happening..since I got mine from Best Buy I have 30 days to exchange it if its defective

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Keep in mind if the entire device reboots or shuts down it could be a hardware issue such as bad ram. If it's just the 2-3 second springboard crash it's software and hopefully will be fixed with an update.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple seems to know about this. It occurs on 9.2-9.3.2 beta ios
They say in some specific scenarios the 12.9" ipad pro crash

Ashley1227

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
I also had multiple crashes since purchasing IPad Pro 9.7. I took it to the Apple Store. They couldn't figure it out. I'm very upset.

Reactions: msavich

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I also had multiple crashes since purchasing IPad Pro 9.7. I took it to the Apple Store. They couldn't figure it out. I'm very upset.

Return it, I was within my first 2 weeks, returned it. And the new one has never crashed at all. It's definitely a hardware thing of some sort I think

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I think this is a Ram issue. I was in a Apple retailer earlier today testing multi tasking on. 9.7 and 12.9 and I could repeatedly get the 9.7 to crash multitasking by trying to reshape the display size of the apps. The 12.9 did not crash. Since both are running the same OS it can only be a hardware issue.

Ashley1227

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
Return it, I was within my first 2 weeks, returned it. And the new one has never crashed at all. It's definitely a hardware thing of some sort I think
[doublepost=1460901955][/doublepost]Apple is telling me to restore the damn thing as a new IPad. I have never had such problems. They are telling me it's a bad backup. My memory app is constantly saying low memory. For god sakes, what is going on?

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
[doublepost=1460901955][/doublepost]Apple is telling me to restore the damn thing as a new IPad. I have never had such problems. They are telling me it's a bad backup. My memory app is constantly saying low memory. For god sakes, what is going on?
I set up my original 9.7 fresh without a back up, and it crashed at least once a day. At first I was a believer it must be the ram, but since I've gotten a replacement it hasn't crashed at all. It could still be a memory issue, but we'll see and I'll report if the crashing returns

Ashley1227

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
It seems that Apple is insisting it's a software problem and doesn't want to admit that it's a hardware problem.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It seems that Apple is insisting it's a software problem and doesn't want to admit that it's a hardware problem.
...and it might very well be. If it is caused by a memory leak in RAM usage, the 4GB on the 12.9 Pro might mask it, whereas the 2GB of the 9.7 Pro reveals it. As to why it appears on the 9.7 Pro but not the Air 2, depending upon the cause of the issue (if software-related) different processors might be why it appears on one but not the other.

If it IS a hardware issue, Apple will never admit it... not with the sales volumes of the iPad... such an admission would be extremely costly to address.

Personally, I've learned never to buy a product within the first 3 months of release. Let the bugs and kinks get worked out.

If one is bothered by these springboard crashes and reboots, I'd recommend returning the device and waiting until it is resolved. It could be a long time before it is.

Reactions: scaredpoet

Ashley1227

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
I have had multiple springboard crashes and reboots today. I don't think it's App specific.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I have had multiple springboard crashes and reboots today. I don't think it's App specific.
Yeah I had it first with YouTube, then whenever I'd use multitasking in general like having Microsoft word and a safari open. Demand an exhale, my replacement has been perfect

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
I have started getting random reboots. Today for the first time my iPP 9.7 froze on the Apple screen during reboot. It seems to happen most when switching between Mail and Safari. I had to hold the on/off button to get it unstuck. I do have Crystal ad blocker installed (I think some have suggested ad blockers might be at fault?) I have a 128 GB wifi. I bought it at Target. Should I return it or hope that this is a software issue that will be addressed? And if I return it should I go to Target or go to an Apple Store to see what they say? I did buy Applecare, so should I just wait a while and see what happens? I am a non-techie senior so not sure of how to proceed. TIA for any advice.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Wow this thread is getting longer and longer, this is definitely becoming a major issue. If it is ram, apple does not deserve any praise for giving the smaller pro owners only 2 GB. People on reddit are having this issue too.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Well I just managed to make my springboard restart by manically app switching between mail and safari.

This isn't normal usage for me, I just wanted to see if I could crash my device after reading posts above. I succeeded!!

I'm on latest beta so submitted this to Apple as a bug.

Last edited:

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
So far I've only been seeing people with the 128 gig wifi only having issues, if that's a clue to something

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
So far I've only been seeing people with the 128 gig wifi only having issues, if that's a clue to something
I have the wifi 128gb that has this issue two 128gb wifi + cellular that I know of do not have this issue. I did an exchange and my replacement also does it.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I want to see if my iPad has this problem since its very new..I had both mail and safari up at the same time and everything seems fine, no reboots or crashes or anything..also did the double click of the home button and opened up safari and mail and everything seems fine, I have the 128gb wifi rose color

pbird

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015
I want to see if my iPad has this problem since its very new..I had both mail and safari up at the same time and everything seems fine, no reboots or crashes or anything..also did the double click of the home button and opened up safari and mail and everything seems fine, I have the 128gb wifi rose color

I also tried to make this happen but did not succeed with loading and resizing stuff in split screen. I could not replicate it but I had two springboard crashes with my 128gb iPad. The first one was after quitting iMovie with a largish project loaded. The second one was this morning after just some light browsing in safari and I used the 4 finger gesture to close it. So it not only happens under heavy load on mine, but just these two times since I got it on launch day.

Last edited:

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I talked to a senior consultant and he recomended swapping it out again so thats what I did. The first two both had the crashes dont know on this one yet. I will see. I do have his email if it crashes so I can get the information to him.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I also tried to make this happen but did not succeed with loading and resizing stuff in split screen. I could not replicate it but I had two springboard crashes with my 128gb iPad. The first one was after quitting iMovie with a largish project loaded. The second one was this morning after just some light browsing in safari and I used the 4 finger gesture to close it. So it not only happens under heavy load on mine, but just these two times since I got it on launch day.

Yeah its hard cause I want to be totally sure the iPad is perfect..I havent noticed any yellowish screen color, my eyes are not that great so I had my Mom look at it and she doesnt notice anything..my sister sends me videos some videos look better than the others but I think its based on how she took the video not the iPad. I will keep on testing it, I have the keyboard case, sometimes it takes some time to get used to it doesnt open right away kind of gets stuck on the iPad..split screen is not a feature I am used to using but I will keep trying to see if there are any crashes.
The speakers, I know there are 4 speaker ports now maybe its just me but I expected the sound to be much higher even at a lower volume since there are 4 speakers but it sounds similar to the Ipad Air 2

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Had my first crash today, stupid mail app..was looking for a video that my sister sent me a few weeks ago so I went to edit and was typing in her email address when it went back to the home screen..its happened before with my old iPad, stupid mail app is always messing up

Reactions: Wackery

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
And Best Buy have pulled all 9.7" Pros from the site. Start the recall rumour mill! :p

camhabib

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Add me to the list of people who've had issues with this. Haven't had this happen to me in the few months with the larger iPad Pro, but have had it a number of times on a 128GB Wifi 9.7 and once on a 256GB Wifi 9.7. Doesn't seem to be specific to any one app or instance, though I do regularly use YouTube, Safari, and split screen, which have all been mentioned here. I don't think it's a hardware issue, since it's just a partial restart (mine lets me use Touch ID to log back in), but who knows. I just bought my 256GB today from Apple, so it seems unlikely that Best Buy would know about this issue and pull stock before Apple even did.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
I called Applecare today about my 128 GB 9.7 wifi and the restart issue. I was told to restore and if I still have the problem I should call back with case # to start a return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.