iPad Pro and 13" rMBP (Displays)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aminadab, Dec 23, 2015.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

Can anyone comment on the difference between the displays in the iPad Pro and the 13" rMBP?

I'm thinking of pick up the iPad Pro for document creation and consumption and video playback. As far as I understand it, the iPad Pro produced more sRGB, has a better black level and a better contrast ratio.

Can anyone who has both devices comment? I'm trying to piece together specifications, but want to get the board's opinion.

2. slpslee1 macrumors member

Strictly subjectively, looking side by side, the rMBP screen is more detailed. Plus, a laptop, especially one so small and light, is just more versatile than a tablet. This is a personal failure, but if I have a device with a keyboard, I prefer not to have to touch the screen for some functions. I find the keyboard/trackpad more efficient. For carrying around, hands-down, I prefer the rMBP. I do a lot of photo editing. There's a big difference between a photo app and photography software.

That said, I love the iPad Pro, and the pencil is unique. Just from my perspective, a big drawback of the combo is that there's no reliable place to park the pencil. Also, it seems to me the charging port cover on the pencil would be easily misplaced, so my pencil stays at home where I can keep a watchful eye on it. The speakers are a major perk. They sound so much crisper (and louder) than previous iPad speakers, they took me by surprise.

Both devices are wonderful in tandem, by the way.

3. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

He asked about the display. And technically iPad Pro has hands down the best display Apple has ever produced for mobile devices including laptops. Don't know how it compares to 5K iMac but I think it doesn't really matter.

4. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Following up, I picked up an iPad pro and can say that its display hands down beats my 13" rMBP. Aside from its seemingly greater color gamut, it has a higher PPI and constrast ratio, which makes text all the more legible.

I pulled up a still from Netflix on both my iPad and the rMBP and the differences were apparent: deeper blacks, more color spread, an overall more subjectively pleasing visual experience.

After a few hours, I'm fully convinced of the device's aspect ratio. I must admit, when I first saw the iPad Pro in the store I thought that it looked really stupid. Well, that may be the case, but this dummy is happy to have the extra vertical reach. It really make consuming and producing texts nice.

Hell, I'm going to now push for 1:1 ratios: bring on the squares!

But seriously, I do hope the next iteration of the MBPs will have a screen that approaches this quality.

Incidentally, I had a chance to play around with the MS Surface Book, whose screen is simply lovely. I ended up returning it in the end, but it wasn't easily done: that screen is really captivating. I am happy to say, that my screen needs are set with the IPP.

5. Anand953 macrumors regular

But does it make a case to own an iPad pro unless your are into an artistic profession to make sense of using that pencil ? Some day rmbp is gonna catch up (or even exceed) to the iPad pro in terms of display..

6. Serban Suspended

i really don't think you or me can't tell the diff in ppi from ipad pro 264 vs 227
    i use my 15" mbp and my ipad pro...there is no real difference in normal use etc. i love them both but i want the next mbp to have the image quality from the current generations 4k and 5k imacs