iPad iPad Pro and the New Macbook relevance..?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fyun89, Apr 2, 2015.

1. fyun89 macrumors 6502

Is it just me or has anyone else thought that Apple's new Macbook could really be a laptop version of iPad Pro?

I mean.. spec wise, the new Macbook doesn't have any vent now, has just one USB port, super thin and very portable. If Apple just remove the keyboard, flip the display and stick to the chassis, you basically have an iPad... Pro.

That similarity would help Apple reduce cost of making iPad pro by sharing parts with the New Macbook.

It would also fullfill everyone's hope for OSX on an iPad.

What do you guys think?

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

It would also mean the iPad Pro will be stupid expensive as it will include touch screen. $2k starting price for the iPad Pro is my guess, giving Microsoft more reason to point and laugh.

3. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. But there would be less mechanics (no hinge and no seperate casing for display, main chassis, etc) and use of their A# chip instead of using Intel's could bring down the price as well...

Whatever it would be, base model will definitely be more expensive than base iPad Air 2.. may be 700-800? Macbook Air has been selling for $999, so there is a slot between.

I really could use a larger, more productive iPad,

Hear that Apple?

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You are by far not the only one. But I think that is not correct. It makes me wonder how people use their iPads.

The iPad is far more than an ultra-lite, one port wonder.

5. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for that kind of size, I dont think you'd want to hold it up and use it. I dont even think many people hold their regular iPad up for majority of the use except when they're reading -- which shouldnt be the purpose for this larger one. It probably will be for completely different purposes with that kind of size. Larger estate can be used for drawings, better video, photo editing, photo reviewing, multi-window multitasking that we've wanted, various business/student application and etc..

Laptop takes too much space in my desk because of their keyboard. iPad saves up my desk space but it has small screen..

I really hope they make one. I can see great use of it!

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I don't think that's how Apple price their products. They seem to put more focus on features as opposed to materials used. In this case, the addition of the touchscreen would be far more valuable than not using hinges etc. I buy Apple products but this is really how they over inflate prices. Their ego makes them do it.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I definitely see it as a sort of "Pro" iPad version. It's pretty much the ultimate portable device. Here's the device for those who kept complaining about multi window multitasking and OS X on iPad. For now its price is what will prevent it from cutting too much into iPad sales. Once it can be had for $899 or $999 you'll see more people buying it and then the only reason to go iPad would be due to price and maybe 4G LTE built in connectivity.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

How can a device without a touchscreen be definitely/sort-of an iPad anything?
    :confused:

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I sort of agree. The line between tablet and ultra portable laptop is starting to blur more with these new offerings. The iPad pro MUST be priced correctly or the benefits of it just won't outweigh the cost.

May as well get the full desktop class OS for the same money type of thing. And, it's obvious that pro users will want the device for more than just consumption reasons.

We shall see how this rolls. I suspect either the ipad pro will kill sales of the new macbook or vice versa.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple wanted to copycat Samsung's Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 thats why Apple decided to make new iPad Pro. :apple:

11. Robstevo macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering what they will actually do to make it a pro. A bigger screen and faster processor aint going to do ****.

12. TC03 macrumors 65816

The MacBook is 12", the iPad Pro is 12.9". So the iPad would actually be bigger than the MacBook. Crazy right?

I wonder if Apple will make a keyboard. If they start selling a keyboard, you'll basically have a MacBook with OS X for $1400 and an iPad with iOS for... $800? Both devices are thin, have a premium feel and have all day battery life. Kinda makes you think about whether you need OS X at all.
    It will include Force Touch which will probably mean it can be used for accurate drawing and note taking. That's kinda pro. Second, I think you're underestimating how important a big screen and fast CPU are for 'professionals'. Third, I don't think it's just for professionals. It's for everyone who likes a big screen.

13. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Yes however why would a pro choose an iPad for professional drawings without any integration with pro tools? Unlike the surface pro 3 that can run desktop versions of photo shop etc

Also no matter how powerful an ios device is, its still restricted by the fact almost no applications have actually taken advantage of the already great power of the devices. Apart from some games of course. The iPad air and air 2 performance wise have dramatically improved. But I have hardly seen anything That takes advantage of it and go "wow this would have never been capable of this in the iPad 3 etc

So either the pro will have osx, or it will just be called a pro but not exactly do what its named.

14. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

This new Macbook is nothing more than Apple showing us the future of Macbooks.....just like they did in 2008 with the Air. The new MB is NOT worth owning for at least another two years when it becomes the norm. Everything its meant for can be done on an iPad Air 2 which already benchmarks as fast if not faster. Internet and email can easily be done on the Air 2. When it comes to photos, icloud photo library and Lightroom mobile let you edit anywhere. Forget about doing any video editing other than trimming clips so what we're left with is a fancy internet and email laptop like 2008.....except now everyone has an iPhone or iPad that can do those things. Plus iPad is more portable, lighter and cheaper. There isnt any reason to get the new MB other than bragging rights. Its the Apple Watch EDITION of laptops, complete in gaudy gold.

15. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

I make my money using OS X as a graphic designer.

It stared as a hobby about a year ago then a friend opened a Bar and I designed the menu and the poster. After that I got hired by multiple venues. It's a fun thing to do while you're in college.

But the point is that I can't design nothing on my Air 2.
    So yes, I need OS X. Me and 90% of the members here.

16. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Trust me, if the iPad Pro exists, it will be completely different from the note pro.

----------

A whopping 30% bigger. Totally crazy.
    I think they actually might make a keyboard to show that they can. But I think a major step up is to lower the price of the rMB. It is SUCH a rip-off

----------

You could say the same thing about the MacBook Pro

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's not entirely encouraging. I think Samsung has done a fine job with multiwindow and active stylus. Just "freeze" a bit of the bloatware and a solid Android device becomes an outstanding one.

If Apple does produce an iPad Pro, I hope that it is different because it is better and not simply for the sake of being different.

18. TC03 macrumors 65816

90% are deisgners?

19. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

The Surface Pro is doing well for Microsoft, I agree completely the line between laptop and tablet is bluring in a big way.

Imagine a hi res 12" tablet with OSX, Touch ID, a super fast processor, an ultra thin detachable keyboard plus touch screen.

20. Will0827, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Will0827 macrumors regular

Will0827

There really isnt much that has to be done to make OSX ipad/touch friendly. OSX has launchpad which is essentially the iOS home screen. Sure it may not be the way users open apps on their mac devices they have come across it and would be farmiliar with it. OSX on the ipad pro could boot or start with launchpad or similar when no keyboard is present and go into the regular style desktop when one is, similar to continuum in windows 10.

Apps could be one screened as im sure most nom power users run things currently on there mac devices and as its the only way on iOS. The app stores will have to be merged in some fashion or just post ipad apps on the mac store and have iPad apps be updated to run on iOS and OSX. Last years WWDC, many presentations were given on the ease of unifying code between iOS and OSX so one single app can target both.

I don't think an iPad pro is a hard sell and with the moderate and slowly growing success of the surface the idea of the hybrid device isn't really foreign and ipad keyboards sell well so there isnt much work to do from a marketing standpoint. Figuering out where it will sit between the regular ipad and macbooks is probably the toughest thing for apple. If it is successful would the new macbook make any sense. Would you have the regular ipad stay on iOS. Would apple change course and create a new one size OS ala windows 10.

21. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am very tempted by the Surface 3, but I really hate to leave the Apple infrastructure. I have too much invested in it. I am hoping Apple does something really innovated with the iPad Pro (if it exists). I would love to see OS X run on it but if nothing else at least have some split screen multitasking capability.

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am one of them.... :apple: